Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 11

Stepping into the Principal's office, I recognize Professor Hanover's voice, talking to another who I only know as from the Technology department. Instructor Wynell is looking through some paperwork like he lost a form, and a female Motavian in a well worn, but sturdy garb, is silently standing in the corner. I hear the principal talk to his secretary behind me about a small fire in a laboratory, and quickly ushers us to our seats at the meeting table. Glad you all could come. To start off, Manager Dora, could you report on the background and state of affairs at the dig site?

The Motavian handed out some leaflets about Zema to everyone. Certainly. After studying the autobiographies written by Professor Mahlay and his mentor, Professor Holt, Professor McKnight, of History Department, requested a drill survey of Zema and its surroundings, to determine if 'Birth Valley', which both the books mentioned, actually existed. I dug a couple standard test holes into the mountain immediately north of Zema, and discovered what appears to be some sort of facility from before the Great Collapse. Due to the results, I was authorized to mobilize the archeological unit in Pana to perform a preliminary investigation. My team successfully gained access to the facility through a horizontal tunnel operation, and inspected the accessible portion of the facility. It had received extensive damage from what appeared to be sabotage using a large amount of dynamite. Despite this, my team has located the primary computer system inside. The system might have been damaged, and my team lacks the knowledge necessary to use it. For this reason, I have requested that the Technology Department dispatch a specialist to lead my team in further investigation.

The principal asks, Indeed. Why have you also requested resources from Biology Department?

Besides the computer, my team also discovered several unknown machines, which may be similar to the ones located in the basement of this campus. We request a Biology student to determine if the machines really are identical, to determine the species of the creatures inside, and to assist the Technology specialist, should the computer system contain a large amount of information on the subject.

Thank you, Dora. Professors, I had requested both of you to suggest capable students to be sent out to rendezvous with Dora's team. For the record, could you tell me why you have chosen these three?

Professor Hanover stood. As head of the Biology Department, I am aware of the raw potential Sophmore Ashley has to become an instrumental part of this investigation, and I suggest her as a best choice, knowing that I am essentially recommending that you break protocol regarding the minimum level of students for field work. As a distant second, I offer Senior Ackland as an alternative.

Tell me the details about the senior.

She has potential to become an excellent researcher. However, I question her motivation to perform due to her poor study habits. She has expressed no interest in field work or continuing on after this year. She also only performs the minimum amount of work possible to maintain satisfactory grades. Given this, and my knowledge on the other students in my department, I consider these two as the only students capable of this assignment.

Thank you. Now, from the Technology department.

The other professor stands, while fidgeting with a small pencil. I will be honest here. I do not like Etirn. He has a gross disrespect for those who have more experience and authority. If I was able to, I would strip him of Post-Graduate status and have him expelled. However, even with this, I am forced to admit that he is truly the only person who has sufficient experience working with electronic-type artifacts, and is well qualified to take control of this expedition. He has also expressed interest in this particular expedition, requesting to be included in memo circulations. I can only imagine what he might discover that a lesser student would ignore as meaningless rubble.

Post Graduate Bay, you had come to me earlier, requesting to also influence my decision. Please recount what you told me earlier for the record.

Etirn smiled at me quick before he stood. Sure. Due to my intimate knowledge of technology and my insatiable curiosity, I kept myself abreast of the reports coming from Zema. When I heard they were about to request assistance, I immediately began attending encore lectures to refresh my memory for when I got assigned. I met Marika during the last one before I was going to submit my request to be put on the expedition, but I was taken aback by her sheer intelligence, which gave her some comprehension of the advanced topics discussed despite no training or experience in the subject. I did not know her professor also recommended her, and after a discussion with you, sir, I offered to hold responsibility, should anything go wrong. She is very dynamic in her thinking, and amazed even me. She will be invaluable for this task. I felt myself blush from such compliments.

The principal fills a glass with water from a pitcher. Students, Professors. I am uneasy about sending a Sophmore on this mission, but I have decided to concur with your recommendations, pending proof that they have demonstrated an ability to defend themselves. Instructor, are you ready to report?

Wynell quickly closed his folder of papers and responded, holding three evaluation forms. Yes, sir, I just finished the last evaluation seconds ago. Senior Ackland completed my course during the Fall term last year as part of the standard curriculum. She was extremely defensive in combat and shied away from consistently striking enemies despite multiple opportunities to do so. She was issued a sword in the hopes that its longer reach would help inspire confidence. When cornered, she was able to drive off her attackers and eventually passed the Gauntlet, but only after threats of abandonment by her backup.

Akkosua is confirmed, then. I could almost feel disappointment from Akkosua at this statement. Report on Etirn?

Post-Graduate Bay still had a valid evaluation with combat knives, but he requested a refresher course with a prototype weapon from the Technology Department, called a 'firearm'. It functions by launching small projectiles at high speed, and proved extremely effective against the test monsters, even without any backup. I think he could even fell a professional fighter with it, provided it doesn't fail. I suggest carrying a knife as a backup, since the weapon is only a prototype.

Etirn, will you obey the Instructor's suggestions?

Of course. Anything that can go wrong usually does.

Good. Instructor, the one I'm most concerned with is Marika. I understand she only entered the Gauntlet today without any prior training. Do you believe her to be fit to defend herself?

Instructor thought for a minute before he continued. Sophmore Ashley, she is a unique case, one of a kind. She states to have no experience with a weapon. She appears to be somewhat emotionally unstable, and may go into a frenzy if provoked. The principal shows some concern on his face, but Instructor continues without elaborating, thankfully. However, she is quite strong, more so than she looks. She also fights with a purely instinctual stance and kata, the likes of which I've never seen in my many years of studying martial arts and weapons. On speculation, I issued her some artifacts that were entrusted in my care some years ago, and had her complete the Gauntlet, with Etirn as backup. You know, it was strange....

Are you suggesting that she is not suitable for deployment at this time?

No, she easily passed the Gauntlet. I'm just saying, it was like when she wielded the artifacts, she became a completely different person, perhaps more animal than Parmanian. She became extremely aggressive without taking unnecessary risks. If I didn't know better, I'd have called the Biology Department to report a new species of biomonster. The principal was becoming irritated by Instructor.

...I find your choice of words somewhat disturbing, even knowing your unprofessional background. Could I see these artifacts that have you so spooked?

I have them right here, I say, extending the claws and holding them up so everyone can see. The professors were impressed, but I could tell the Principal was having a hard time over me having such weapons. I don't blame him, given our history.

What...Why wasn't I notified that you had such devices in your armory, Instructor?

A personal friend gave them to me, and requested that I find someone capable of using them. I was amazed, but I've never seen anyone have as much proficiency with a weapon as she with the claws, and I am including professionals in the list. I fully recommend her to be allowed on this assignment as equipped.

I still don't like this, but I offer these three as the University's choice to send under Dora's control. Do you have any objections or further comments, Dora?

I am quite impressed with the capabilities of your students, Principal. I gladly accept their help in this mission.

Very well, you are all to pack your gear and leave the gates within an hour. Camp once you arrive at Mile, and I expect to hear of your arrival in Zema by tomorrow afternoon. Dismissed. I walked to my room and packed light: A change of clothes, nightwear, extra socks, and a small selection of books. After a moment, I also took off my town shoes and put on a sturdy pair of boots and a small canteen, and hurry to the gate. Surprisingly, Dora and Etirn were already there, without bags.

Aren't you two going to pack?

Dora's stuff is already at the site, and I don't really have any need for anything beyond what I'm wearing. Where's the Senior? Just then, Akkosua comes walking from the bar carrying a large knapsack packed full, struggling with the weight. Ackland! What the hell?

I don't know what all is in Zema, so I wanted to be prepared. Akkosua puts down her bag, and a rattling inside suggests that she has glass bottles.

You know, we do have access to the town well at the site, right? Dora says as Etirn begins rummaging through her sack.

I know that, I just...

...Needed firewater, instead? Etirn is holding up a couple bottles of a notoriously strong liquor.

We do have a stocked bar, too. It is against my team's regulations to bring a private stash this large. I need intelligent help, not drunkards. I don't know how, but Dora seems to be frowning despite having a beak.

Uh...

I decide to chip in. I think we could just leave the liquor, and take everything else. The bottles can come with the next supply caravan, can't it?

Etirn and Dora look at me. I guess that'll work. Is there anything you need out of your bag?

Akkosua just looked to the ground, No, I hadn't gotten to my dorm room yet. I didn't have time.

Etirn tied Akkosua's bag closed and attached a small tag. Then let's hit the road. You can buy some basics from a trader I met in Zema if he's still there, but you should know better than this. We began traveling Northeast in between some mountain ranges.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!