Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 34

I remember the radio conversation I overheard last night....

Kadary, are you there?

This is Kadary Hunter's Guild. How can I help you?

This is Monsen.

I assume you're reporting dead hunters. Let me get the forms out.

No, silly! They just finished the job. If I remember, isn't all the money there already?

That's impossible! Those hunters left Kadary this morning!

Well, three people showed up at sunset, said they were hunters, and I saw them kill that sandworm.

Ray looks at me while we make our way to the counter. I can't wait to see the receptionist's face. We reach the counter, and Etirn raps his knuckles across the top. The receptionist looks up from a sandwich, and her eyes go wide.

Impossible?!

Etirn tilts his head a little. You question our ability to get shit done?

N-no! But how did you get there and back so fast?

Well, you know about ways and means? Being in the University lets you use some crazy things.

I'm... at a loss for words.

I decide to try my hand at being a wisecrack. How's 'Here is your money, we'll let you know when another big job comes up?' The receptionist shakes her head and opens a small safe to withdraw some money without saying a word.

Etirn laughs. Ha, I train you well, Marika!

Well, here's the 5,000. Your reward. Etirn picks up the money, and counts out a small portion. He puts the rest back on the counter.

Will this cover the rest of Ray's debt?

I don't know what he promised you, but-

He didn't promise anything. This is simply out of the goodness of my heart.

The woman glares at Ray. He gives back a shrug and a confused look. I'll cancel the warrant, and get this to the people who need it. Keep an ear to the radios, I'll announce when more jobs worthy of your abilities come in.

When we step outside, Ray turns to us. He is probably the toughest-looking person I've ever seen, and there's a single tear in his eye. Light, I owe you guys my life! I don't know how I can possibly repay you....

Etirn nods. You want a little vacation? I'm part of a secret project, with the objective of sending a small group of people to another planet, as a proof of concept. It's almost time for the first test flight, and I was gonna ask you and Marika to be part of the onboard team, since you guys already know how I operate.

Oh, I almost forgot! I take out that paper with the numbers and give it to Etirn. Look at this.

Let's see... A math puzzle, huh? Etirn looks at the paper like he's shooting flames out his eyes. Light! Where did you get this?!

I don't even know what it is.

This is a complete set of mathematical formulae to plan a spaceflight from Motavia to...?

Zelan.

What is Zelan?

Ray shakes his head. We don't know either. All I know is that suit guy from that vehicle place gave it to us.

I watch Etirn's face slowly transition to anger. I decide to reason with him, I don't know if he's playing with us, or why, but he seems extremely knowledgable about Motavia, Algo, even secrets of my past....

The thought doesn't seem to calm him much. Ray tries. Pawn or not, I see no reason not to do what he asks...for now. We should play things by ear.

Etirn finally sees the logic. He's still unhappy, though. Let me call this in. Mota U, respond.

Only silence. Motavia U, Outerbeast 1. Respond. Nothing. Etirn signals for my radio. Motavia University, please respond. Why isn't anyone responding? Etirn takes off his headset, and holds it next to mine. A horrible screech erupts from both units, hurting my ears. Wha? Etirn puts his headset back on.

Piata Campus, please respond.

What happened?

Bruce, you fucking fell asleep. Get your ass up, and get a Math professor to a radio, double quick.

Oh. Wait here.

Etirn starts muttering under his breath. I manage to hear what he said without him realizing, I don't know why the professor keeps him around, the lazy fuck.

You don't like Bruce?

Etirn looks at me funny. You heard that? I nod, and the radio squelches again.

Head of Math Department here. What do you need, student?

Etirn pulls out his computer, and types in some commands. I've got some formulae coming on the data frequency. I need you to do the math. Etirn holds the paper in front of his face for a few seconds.

It's coming through now. A short pause. How in the world did you get this?

Long story. I need you to work the numbers for a launch, T minus approximately two-zero hours, give or take. I'm entrusting my life to you getting the logistics right. End.

Launch? I wonder what Etirn is launching.

Your paper means that instead of an atmospheric test, we're hijacking the Rappy to go to Zelan. You should know that everybody on board will die if something goes wrong. I realize that Etirn clearly isn't taking the situation lightly. I have to go, because nobody else knows how to work the controls. I could probably conscript a couple freshmen to go with me and radio back what I learn. However, I want people who I can trust at hand. Ray, Marika, are you willing to go with me, knowing that I may be leading us to an early death?

Ray nods. You saved my life. I have to repay you.

Etirn looks at me expectantly. I still value my life, but I also want to learn more about my family, and this looks like the best way. You can count on me.

Thank you. Etirn slowly nods. Our toy is at the University. We ride the Land Rover to Piata.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!