The Awkward Dance by augmentedfourth

Chapter 6

Alys' eyelids fluttered as the morning sun shone in her window and started to rouse her. She opened her eyes and it took her a brief moment to remember where she was and for the memories of the previous day to come flooding back to her. Rune lay behind her, still asleep, with one arm flung across her waist. She gently moved the heavy limb and tried to slip out of the bed without waking him.

Her efforts were unsuccessful. He stirred, blinked several times, and then sat up slightly, leaning on one hand for support. Sorry, Alys said, I didn't mean to wake you up.

Rune yawned and shook his head. It's okay, we have a long trip ahead of us, anyway.

Alys listened, but could hear no sounds of the others moving around. It was still early, so she figured it couldn't hurt to let them sleep a little longer. Thanks for agreeing to come with us to Tonoe, she said as she stood up and stretched. I haven't been there in quite some time and with all the monsters in the desert, it doesn't hurt to have an extra set of hands.

Rune looked slightly guilty as he watched Alys move around the room. I can't stay with you past Tonoe, he said softly, almost apologetically. I need to take care of some other things.

She turned and and looked at him. Why do you sound like you're waiting for me to be angry with you?

Because I know it's not fair to you that I keep leaving you like this, and I don't know when I'll be able to see you again.

I don't see it as 'leaving me'. I know you'll always come back.

Rune looked up at her. She never failed to surprise him. Say what you will, but I still don't think it's right. You're a much better friend to me than I am to you, I'm afraid.

She crossed the room and stood in front of him. You are who you are. I came to accept that long ago. I know I'd never change you, nor would I want you to change. She stepped forward so she was standing between his knees and clasped her hands behind his neck. It's just the dance we do. We're two separate people who have always had their separate lives, and every now and then, they intersect. I like it when you're with me, but I know you can't be with me all the time, so rather than missing you when you're gone, I just look forward to when I'll see you again. She cocked her head to the side and looked at him with a playful glint in her eye. Did you want me to say I locked myself up in my room, pining for you day and night? she teased.

Rune chuckled. Maybe. He pulled her head down to his and kissed her lightly. It was good to know that even though it seemed that everything in their world was changing, he could always count on her. You're too good to me, he half-joked.

She kissed him on the nose and laughed. I know.

Before long, Chaz and Hahn met them downstairs and the foursome took off for Tonoe. The entrance to the cave leading to the village was blocked, but before anyone could form a plan, Rune destroyed the obstruction with a rather impressive looking ball of fire. Alys had always known he had a wide array of techniques at his disposal, but this was something different. Magic, he called it to an inquiring Hahn. Apparently, Alys thought, he had been busy for the past several years.

Once through the cave, they made their way to the back of Tonoe. The leader of the village, Grandfather Dorin, was a slightly batty old man, and even though Alys knew he was basically harmless, she had little patience for him. She was all set to let Chaz and Hahn inquire as to the whereabouts of the Alshline until she heard the mention of her name and measurements. Fresh out of patience and still stressed from the previous day, Alys walked right up to him and punched him in the face.

Dorin didn't recognize her right away, and even when he did, shouting her name didn't do much to calm her down. Cowering from her, he spotted Rune in the doorway. It's you, Rune! Please help me! he pleaded.

Rune put a hand up to his temple and shook his head, exasperated. You don't change, do you, old man! He crossed the room and stood in between the two of them. Please excuse him, will you, Alys? The old man doesn't have any bad intentions.

Alys sighed. That's why I put up with it.

Rune put his hands on Dorin's shoulders, trying to distract him from the angry Alys. Grandfather Dorin, I came to retrieve the item I entrusted in your care. Also, these people are looking for Alshline.

Dorin blinked at him and then smiled, as if he had forgotten what had just happened. Ah, if what you want is Alshline, feel free to take whatever you need. It's in the back of the warehouse basement out back. Go help yourselves.

Thank you! Hahn was excited. Alys, let's go!

Oh, wait! Dorin exclaimed. Alys groaned. That place is unused right now, so it may be a teensy bit dangerous. Gryz! Will you guide these people?

For the first time, Alys noticed that there were two young Motavians sitting in the back of the tent. The older of the two, a young man dressed in an oversized green robe, rose to his feet at Dorin's call. My pleasure, he said politely. My name is Gryz. Nice to meet you.

Rune took Dorin by the hand and led him towards the door. Well, I have some business with Grandfather Dorin here, so I'll say 'so long' here! He noticed Chaz standing next to him. Oh yeah, pip squeak...

I've had enough of you! Chaz interrupted.

Don't get any silly thoughts, like taking on Zio, into that little head! he instructed the rash teenager.

Huh? It seemed as if the thought had never entered Chaz's mind.

At this stage of the game, you're no match for him! Rune turned to Hahn. Maybe our paths will meet again. Hahn nodded a silent farewell. Lastly, Rune looked at Alys, who had regained her composure after the brief scuffle. Alys...

She looked at him expectantly, silently imploring him not to make a big deal about his exit in front of the others. Yeah?

He simply smiled at her. Take care.

She returned the warm expression. Thanks, Rune.

With that, he was gone. Chaz was still mumbling to himself about Zio, so Alys asked Gryz to lead them to the Alshline. As they walked to the warehouse, Alys learned that Gryz and his sister were the sole survivors of the attack on Molcum and he had witnessed Zio's power firsthand. Alys grimaced as she listened to his sad tale. She knew Rune was right, they weren't ready to meet with Zio just yet. While they had more pressing concerns to take care of, like Hahn's colleagues and the people of Zema, somewhere in the back of Alys' mind, she knew that Zio would have to be stopped.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!