PS3 Fanfic: Echoes of the Past (New Sectionette, 1/14)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Siren » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:24 pm

Go! Siren will cheer for you! (Ep. III reference to the defective humanoid, Stella)
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:54 am

5:45 PM GST, Secondary control room under Aridia dome, Alisa III<p>John saw only corridors as the robot led the group to what it called the "Interdome Transit System", which turned out to be a high-speed tram. The group rode that for a couple minutes. When they got off, Wren said, "Only 10 meters until our destination." The robot led them around the corner and into a small room filled by computer equipment.<p>"Hello." A green haired man wearing a cape nodded to the visitors, "I'm Prince Aron of Dahlia. Which one of you is Secretary Schmidt?"<p>Schidmt stepped forward. "I am."<p>Aron motioned to the two women who stood beside him. "This is my cousion, Kara, and the blonde one is Laya."<p>"Shall we get down to business?" Schidmt asked.<p>"Indeed." Aron turned to Wren. "Will you excuse us, Wren?"<p>"Go with it, Mr. Underhill."<p>"But... but..." John stammered.<p>Schimdt glared at him. "Just do it."<p>The robot said, "If you will follow me, Mr. Underhill."<p>John sighed and followed the robot down a short corridor. "How did you get the name Wren?"<p>The robot stopped and turned around. "It's my type. I am an W model of the r-e-n series." It said each letter of ren separately.<p>"R-e-n series?"<p>"The r-e-n series was first designed of 2000 years ago, starting with the Aren. Each subsequent major revision incremented the first letter: Bren, Cren, and so forth. I am a model of the twenty-second major revision."<p>"How old are you?"<p>"I have been in operation for 1060 years."<p>John whistled. He had more questions, but he motioned Wren to continue. The robot nodded and John followed.
Amwhere

Postby Siren » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:43 pm

A little exposure for Wren...Onna should be here.
Siren

Postby Amwhere » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 pm

Tim awoke with a start. He had been dreaming of that dark presence again. He opened his eyes, groggily expecting to see the sky above him. Instead, he saw the flat white ceiling of his apartment. He took a deep breath and let out slowly, as he assured himself that he was quite safe. After all, he only had to scream, and his superpowerful android neighbors would come to his aid within seconds.<p>He tossed his blankets aside and slowly got out of the warm, comfortable bed. The deep shag carpeting felt good on his bare feet as he made his way to the living room.<p>Despite all his fussing the day before, his living room ended up a almost carbon copy of the girls. His couch faced the television, with a coffee table in front of it. A pair of chairs at either end of the table completed the ensemble. What the androids' room had that his lacked, however, was the lived in feeling provided by the plants, pictures, and paintings that they had.<p>Resting on the table was a large bag. Taped to the bag was a note, which was written in a precise, clean, and beautiful hand.<p>"Miun and I," the note read, "thought that you'd like to have a little food in your place, so Miun went to the store late last night. Everything in here is either ready to eat or just needs to have water added. I'm partial to the Chirper Crisps, myself. Miun's favorite favorite is in there too. As soon as you wake up fully, come on over. Miun printed a channel guide for you, and it should be under the bag. See you soon. Mieu."<p>Tim smiled. Such nice people, artificial or not. On top of the bag was a bag of "Manoi Puffs" with a note attached to it. This note was also written in a clean and sharp hand, but clearly different than Mieu's. "This is my favorite. If you don't like them, give them to me, alright? It's not like I'll get fat or anything. Miun."<p>He couldn't help but smile again, and he set the bag aside. Suddenly, he actually became aware that he needed coffee, but he shook his head. There couldn't be coffee here, on Palma, could there? I might as well go through the bag and see what looks interesting.<p>Near the bottom of the bag was a small metal canister. He was going to set it aside like the other bags and boxes, but he saw a pair of e's on the label. Turning the can around, he read, "Yuba Brand Coffee." Blinking and rubbing his eyes in disbelief, he looked at the canister again. The label stubbornly remained.<p>Trembling, he opened up the canister and inhaled deeply. It was, without any doubt, coffee. He turned the can around and read the instructions. He was in luck; it was instant coffee.<p>He took the can into the kitchen and picked up the cup and spoon Miun had given him the day before. The faucet gave hot water to fill the cup at the mere push of a button, and he stirred in a couple of spoonfuls of coffee. The rich aroma filled the small kitchen. He blew on the coffee to cool it down, and took a sip.<p>It was the best coffee he had ever tasted. It made him feel, for the first time in six months, safe, happy, and content. It gave him the urge to run outside and yell greetings to his new world, but instead he ran to the sisters' door and knocked. Miun answered.<p>"Good..."<p>Tim swept her up in a bear hug and said "Thank you! Thank you!" repeatedly. If he had been thinking rationally, he would have noticed that Miun weighed no more than she should have, and felt exactly how one would expect her to feel.<p>Miun carefully extracted herself from the hug. "Thank you for what?"<p>"The coffee."<p>"You're welcome. Why the excitement, though? It's just... oh. It originated on Earth, didn't it?"<p>Tim nodded, and Miun saw a tear in his eye. "It reminded me of better times, Miun. Times that I was safe, happy, and content. Times that were normal."<p>Miun guided Tim to the couch. "Sit down. Everything's all right, and while we're here, it'll stay that way."<p>Mieu came out of her room. "I won't let anything happen to you, and niether will Miun."<p>Sitting down next to Tim, Miun said, "Are you going to be alright?"<p>"I think so," Tim replied with a nod.<p>Miun smiled and patted him on the back. "Good. Let's watch TV while Mieu makes breakfast. Do you have any preferences?"<p>Tim shrugged. "I don't know what there is."<p>Miun nodded and the TV turned on and changed channels seemingly by itself. "Mieu and I decided one day to figure out what infrared signals the remote uses."<p>Tim was already absorbed in the TV and only gave a distracted "Uh-huh" as a reply.<p>"Is it a try?" The annoucer on the TV yelled. "Yes, it is!"<p>"Oh," the color commentator exclaimed, "what a brilliant dummy by Etir to spring himself free!"<p>Tim turned to Miun. "Rugby?"
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:58 pm

Miun nodded. "Yes, it is. Did that come from Earth too?"<p>"Yeah. I played it at the University of Western Australia. I was destined to become pro, but I decided to pursure my Masters instead, and that ended up as a doctorate in AI programming." He snorted. "If I had gone pro, I'd be so much radioactive dust right now."<p>Mieu came into the living room with three plates of food. "Breakfast is served!"<p>The Earthman look at the food in front of him. It reminded him of biscuits and gravy. He looked up at Mieu.<p>"This is from a twenty-five hundred year old recipe," Mieu said, anwsering Tim's unasked question. "I hope you enjoy it."<p>He picked up his fork and dug in. "It's good!"<p>Mieu grinned. "I'm glad you like it."<p>"It looks like something on Earth, but it tastes completely different."<p>"We've got alot to do today," Miun said, changing the subject.<p>"Yes, we do," Mieu agreed.<p>"Wait a second..." Tim scratched his head, "You both talked with your mouths full, yet..."<p>"Oh." The girls laughed simultaneoulsy without opening their mouths.<p>"We can either talk like you," Miun said, the food in her mouth muffling her voice, "or we can talk like a robot." Her mouth didn't move.<p>"I guess you switch back and forth when it's only you two."<p>Mieu nodded. "Yeah. Since you know our secert, we didn't bother to change our habits. If you want, we can always use our mouths."<p>"Oh," Tim shook his head, "I don't want to force you into anything. The first time you did it caught me off guard, that's all."<p>"It's truly doesn't bother us either way."<p>Tim spread his hands out in front of him. "No, really, Mieu, I don't mind."<p>Let's uses our mouths from now on, Mieu transmitted, I think it will make him feel more comfortable.<p>Yeah, sis, I think you're right.<p>They finished breakfast. Mieu said, "When do you want to go out, Tim? We're ready when you are."<p>Standing up, Tim said, "I'm ready now. When do we leave?"<p>Miun held up a hand. "Not so fast! We need to figure out where you woke up!"<p>"Oh." He sat back down. "How are we going to do that?"<p>"By asking good questions," Miun replied. She got up and went to the computer. "What do you remember about your surroundings when you woke up?"<p>"I was lying on a grassy plain."<p>"Most of the area around Techna is grassy plain," Miun said. "I need something more to narrow things down."<p>"I don't know..." He paused. "Wait, there were hills!"<p>"Nearby or far away?" Mieu asked.<p>"I couldn't tell. They looked tall, though."<p>"Then they were nearby where you woke up. The hills near Techna aren't that high." Miun's hands flew over the keyboard. The screen displayed a map, and then most of it dimmed. "These are all the areas that fit what we know in about a couple days travel from where we found you."<p>"That's a large area," Tim remarked. "How long would that take to search?"<p>"Too long. Do you remember anything else at all?"<p>"Well..." He scratched his chin, "there was an odd outcropping of rocks nearby."<p>Miun entered that into the computer, and everything on the map dimmed out except for a small area.<p>"We know were it is, but it's been there for three months!" Tim exclaimed. "Someone surely must have taken it."<p>"That's likely," Mieu replied, "but hopefully they left clues."<p>"But that's still a large area, and you would have search it with a fine toothed comb. That'll take forever."<p>"Look," Miun said matter-of-factly, "Mieu and I were designed for spying. Don't you think we'd have systems to help us find obscure clues?"<p>Tim laughed ruefully. "You're right, you're right. I shouldn't doubt you."<p>Mieu, who was standing behind the couch, wrapped her arms around him in a comforting hug. "Cheer up! There must be something in that box that will remind you of home."<p>Tim twisted around in Mieu's hug. "To be honest, Mieu, I don't want to remember my home... or at least most of it."<p>Mieu let him go. "Why?"<p>"Please don't make anwser, Mieu. Please."<p>Mieu nodded. "Alright. I understand."<p>"I don't think you do, Mieu. I don't think any one can."<p>Mieu hugged him again. "Well, if you ever want to talk, we'll be here."<p>Tim kissed Mieu's arm. "Thank you, Mieu. I'll remember that."<p>"I apoligize for being blunt," Miun said, grabbing her handbag from the table next to the front door, "but I must be leaving. The sooner I get back, the sooner we can leave. There's a storm due at nightfall, and we want to get back before then."<p>"Alright," Tim replied. "See you when you get back."
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:14 am

Expect a section soon.... I've got a huge backlog. :)
Amwhere

Postby Amwhere » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:19 am

Miun went outside and closed the door behind her. The early fall morning air was crisp, and her breath came out as puffs of steam.<p>My designers thought of everything, she thought to herself, I'm thankful for that.<p>The apartment building was only a short walk from the commercial district. There wasn't much traffic this earning the morning, and Miun crossed the street without looking. She broke into a jog.<p>The android began to think about Akar, and she decided it would be an alright time to call him. Normally, she didn't call people during the early morning like this, but Miun figured that Akar wouldn't mind.<p>She hacked into the communications grid. Computer hacking was one of the skills that all Miun-types had been trained extensively in. She had never been ordered not to hack into things, so she and Mieu hacked systems whenever they needed to.<p>The android make sure that no record of her tampering would be kept, and then she ordered the grid to connect her to Akar.<p>"Hello? This is Akar Sa Riik."<p>Miun had the ability to send her voice like how other heard her. "Hello Akar. You owe me a dinner date."<p>Akar chuckled. "Oh, Miun! I was expected you to call yesterday."<p>"I was busy yesterday. I apologize."<p>"That's alright. I'm busy tonight. How does tomorrow sound?"<p>"Fine by me," Miun replied, hoping that something unexpected didn't arise, "Where do you want to meet?"<p>"Mzar's at eight tomorrow. You know where that is?"<p>"Yes, I do."<p>"No, Orakio," Akar yelled, "you can't have candy before breakfast! Go back to bed! Oh, sorry Miun... kids."<p>Miun laughed. "See you tomorrow." She hung up, and double checked that no one would be the wiser about her call. As the android expected, the was not a trace of the call anywhere.
Amwhere

Postby Coldfury » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:29 am

Just went to your webpage version and read up to now, and I have to say, KUDOS!! That's the best stuff I've read in a long time. Great job of introduction and depth, though I would call for more dialogue and discription ;) . Excellent job Amwhere, I'll be keeping up with this, I'm hooked!<p>-Cold
Coldfury

Previous

Return to Fan stuff