Phantasy Star: Earths past, fan game(screen shots)Updated!!

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Abominae » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:37 pm

2 things:

1 - PSO (and all the other Phantasy Star games) ARE based on anime style art. I only meant that the art used in your game seems too... similar to cell shading than to actual art. I understand the limitations of what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not bashing, just suggesting.

2 - The overworld graphics look great. But please try to add some shorelines.
Abominae

Postby mikepjr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm

I can not do shore lines... here is why.. VX auto tiles which are for animations us a 64x64 auto tile, while XP uses a 96x96 so you can have slanted corners.. VX is set up for Dragon Quest NES styled graphics.... so it is pretty impossible.
The only way i can make a good coast line going is if i went back to using
XP, but if i went back to using XP i would not have encounter areas or an overworld map, XP also lags like crazy compared to VX.

All i can say is DL RMVX and you will see why it is impossible to do shore lines... only way i can do shore lines is by having them non animated.. like in PS2 or 3 or 4... sadly they would also end up being squared looking and less natural.

My head is killing me.

And they are going to be cell shaded looking.. im sorry but thats how its going to be.. i cant do better, it will take up all my time by just doing graphics if i do better... im having hell right now redoing the graphics for NPCs and the main characters... it took me 3 hours to redo the old man graphic you seen..
Here i will upload the new one i made.. it looks better but is still very ANIME looking..

Sorry, but to me their is a difference between anime styled and cartoon styled.. cartoon style would be corny and silly like bugs bunny.. anime style is very human looking.. like Slayers.

Now if you all will excuse me.. im going to go bang my head aginst a wall.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 am

Mike.. Don't listen to the idiots bitching about the ANIME graphics.

Phantasy Star was always ANIME INSPIRED to begin with! Seriously..

Don't give a damn what they say and finish it.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mikepjr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:36 am

Im sitting here hitting my head trying to get a shoreline put in.. but every time i change it to have a shore.. the graphics become square like,
and right now the shore thing is whats giving me a major head ache.

I cant get it in there.. how it is looks now is good to me.. once it's done and people see it animate in action i think it will no longer bother them.
It kind of does have a shore line... just no sand..
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Abominae » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm going to be nice and say to Lord Kyronn, you better not be talking to me. If you are... lmao, well, I can only say that you should reread my posts... and then perhaps edit yours. It'll help you save face in the long run.

Mike, I don't know how the system you're using works. If any of my suggestions are unreasonable, it's only because I don't know the limitations of the system you're using.
Abominae

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 pm

You should re-read the post. Read it again. Then slowly read it. Sound out the words..

You will come to a interesting word: IDIOTS.

Plural.

Need I say more?

I have no need to save face to you or anyone.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 pm

Because it's just not worth the effort.

Abominae wrote:1 - PSO (and all the other Phantasy Star games) ARE based on anime style art. I only meant that the art used in your game seems too... similar to cell shading than to actual art. I understand the limitations of what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not bashing, just suggesting.
Abominae

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Abo,

Once again you think that I was referencing your comments.

If you are that obsessed with finding a reason to dislike me, then by all means pretend I'm singling you out. Enjoy the delusion! I won't stop you.

The persecution track is really quite old.

By all means, have fun thinking I singled you out.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Well, considering I was the only one in the entire thread to make a comment with the word "Anime" in it, I think that narrows it down pretty well.

Oops!!! Sorry... I was paying attention again...
Abominae

Postby mikepjr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Wow, please... no fighting.. but all the classic PS games looked cell shaded in it's 2D states to me... i do not see what i have done differently.

Please.. no fighting.. but to me anime is an art style... i see cartoons and anime as very diff things, and what im doing right now is semi anime.

I know it looks cell shaded.. but thats how all of them look to me.. well not the online ones... the online ones seem to be more like... i dont know what they are like really... not to mention the manga anime style has changed a lot over time, i see what i am doing as classic anime style..

Please no more arguments... and yes.. VX has limits Abo.. one being world graphics, which is why i switched to having that first person view for talking to people in houses.

I would go back to XP but setting up encounter areas for overworlds was impossible for me, as well as a few other problems XP has...
I thought of other tools for making this game.. but their are no others as easy as RPG Maker XP and VX with the features i want.

The tilesets are limited im afraide... sorry, so what you see for a coast is what you get sadly, sorry.

BTW, please stop typing in dark blue Abo, i have hell reading it.. i keep having to highlight it.

And Lord Khyron was talking about everyone who has said anything negative...
No more arguments please.

One other thing about the cell shading thing... i have hell drawing with a mouse but it is all i have so i end up using photoshop and the tracing tool to draw... sorry... :(
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 am

Guys, lets keep this thread only about this fan game and its progress.

mikepjr, please do keep us updated as it is looking very promissing!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby mikepjr » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:44 am

Will do.
I decided to work on diff things one at a time.
Graphics first.. then scripting.. then everything else lol.
I have to admit that during the down time of this forum i knew not of any other forums like it or people who would want to play this.. so over the past few years i was working on it i stopped at one point cause i seen no sence in it.

So in a way i started over.. but im hoping it actualy gets done.. all depends on scripting... the longer it takes to get scripts i need the longer the game will take.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Abominae » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Let's see...

I'm currently trying to learn how to draw anime style. Have been for a couple of years. I had a binder with a ton of "HOW TO" pages printed out and even an entire e-book in it. Where it is now, only God knows. I hope I can learn so that I can start visually creating my characters instead of doing my best to describe them in words

Especially for my PS-Galaxy. As of right now, I mainly use the character creation found in PSO to make my toons. From there, I alter their clothing and whatever else I couldn't customize the way I wanted onto text. Hopefully, I won't prove as useless in drawing as I have in programming...

Mike, one thing I've found that really helps is to create a clean slate for you to use as you please to practice your graphics. Just create a whole new game for the sole purpose of FAILING at graphics. You'll soon find that by making errors, you're learning the extent of your abilities. This has always proven an invaluable tactic for me, and I hope it does for you too.
Last edited by Abominae on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abominae

Postby Surei Uorushu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:51 pm

You can do it!

It looks like a fun game to play.
When you think you're finally alone, you're not.
Surei Uorushu
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 pm

@ Abo:
LOL!
I already know how to draw manga style by hand on paper, what i have said before and i will say again just in case you missed it, im having to draw things for this game with a mouse and photoshop, if i had a tablet i could draw things for this game that would blow you away, but right now im working with what i have... and i have made a game before already on another board.

I know what im doing, it will just take awhile.. im getting my main characters redone for the overhead view as we speak, then im moving on to NPCs.
Graphics come first, and if you still dislike what i have done when im finished, then... i do not know what else to tell you besides do not play it.

@Surei Uorushu:
Thanks, i know i can.. it is just more of a pain with VX then XP.. with XP i had a lot done.. but since XP does not have encounter areas or anything set up for overworlds, i have to use VX, not to mention that XP runs at less then 30fps for me.. which i have said a few times already..
I may go back to using RMXP for this really, even though it lags i could make the overworld i wanted with it with the shore lines.

I have a lot to think about... *sighs*

-EDIT-
Late braking info people.
I have gone back to using RMXP with some good and bad news.

Bad news first.
Since i have gone back to XP people who may play this game may have issues with lag... and im sorry about that.

Good news.
I have encounter areas scripted in to the game after a long time searching.
This is also good news because it will satisfy peoples wanting shore lines, well guess what folks... shore lines are back.
But since i have already started doing some new graphics, im going to now have to move them back over to XP.. and this will be the last move for things.. im done with the graphicle limitations of RMVX.
It is back to XP.
Ill post some screen shots of things once i get more done..
which will include a screen shot of the battle system in action.. and im sorry people.. but i have not included fancy things like macros.. sorry.. the battle system at the moment is like a cross between part 1 and part 4 in that it looks just like part 4 battle system but only has the basics like PS1 has.. attack.. magic items.. that kind of thing..

So give me some time to work on this some more and ill show you what i have going.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff