Phantasy Revelations (MMORPG)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Chronosv2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:08 pm

Hey there folks. I'm working on a PSO-based Text MMORPG (not a MU*, as it has non-MU* features and some meter graphics) called Phantasy Revelations. The concept is pretty simple, and the project is well under way. It's being developed in BYOND ("Build Your Own Net Dream" ) and has a small fanbase. If you all are interested visit [url]phanrev.mycubix.com[/url] and tell me what you think.<p>Also, on this topic, the project is in need of an artist who can make a title banner/image for the website, as we have no graphics artists.<p>Actually, we're in need of the following:<br>1 or 2 Graphics Artists (PSO-themed site artwork)<br>Testers<br>Area Designers (PSO knowledge is a must)<br>Weapon/Armor Designers (PSO knowledge highly favorable)<p>We also could use someone who owns a server which we can get CVS access to for storage of code, as I haven't been able to find a good HTML/PHP/CGI File Manager that effectively handles versioning (at least in a manner that doesn't require uploading all files individually with lots of mouse clicks)<p>Comments and criticism is of course welcome.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Chronosv2 on [TIME]1093885806[/TIME]][/size]
Chronosv2

Postby Butoden » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:26 pm

This is gonna be a free Text RPG?
Butoden

Postby Chronosv2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:28 pm

Yep, and multiplayer at that.<p>Edit:<br>And while I'm at it I should spit out some of the features. :P<p>* Up to 5 characters per BYOND Key <br>* Balanced Player vs Player combat <br>* Safe and PvP areas <br>* Realistic Alignment System with EXP 10% bonus for killing opposing alignment, and 10% penalty for killing those of the same alignment <br>* All PSO Races and Classes <br>* EXP growth system <br>* Equippable Weapon and Armor <br>* Weight System <br>* Time system <br>* Natural HP and TP restoration <br>* Rest system to speed up restoration <br>* Respawn Points <br>* Energy Weapons and Energy-Resistant Armor <br>* Simple Mail system <br>* Note Storage System <br>* ALL basic chat functions (Say, WorldSay, Emote, Private Messaging)<p>I haven't gotten an AI system yet, so right now it's only PvP (and not online due to being very pre-alpha) but its coming along quite nicely.<p>[size=small][Edit by Chronosv2 on [TIME]1093887052[/TIME]][/size]
Chronosv2

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:10 pm

Interesting...<br>Will it be entirely text based?
LaconianShot

Postby Chronosv2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:03 pm

Yeah, it will. I do realize that will push some people off, but there are some key reasons behind this.<p>Mainly it's because text is just so much easier to work with. And it lets the developers and players envision things in a manner that you can't get with graphics.<p>Other reasons too, but I'd rather not go off rambling about it...unless everyone wants me to. :p
Chronosv2

Postby gm2987 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:28 pm

*can't stand text based MMOs*<p>Otherwise it sounds very intersting.
gm2987

Postby Chronosv2 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I can understand not liking text MMO games. Makes it hard to stay at it for long periods of time, what with all the reading. But so far it's turning out quite nicely.<p>I'd have probably done graphics if I had the knowhow to make it look good, and if I knew how to code for graphics. :P<p>Maybe when I get home (Around the 12th or 13th of September) I'll have a test session, and of course everyone from PSCave is invited. ;)<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Chronosv2 on [TIME]1093894620[/TIME]][/size]
Chronosv2

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:41 am

Entirely text sounds...interesting, to say the least, but have you ever considered putting stills in (like the PSII Text Adventure games)?
LaconianShot

Postby =Aoiga= » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by gm2987</i><p>*can't stand text based MMOs*<p>Otherwise it sounds very intersting.<br></blockquote><p>That's a bit contradictory to your game philosophy, hmm? <p>I love MUD's.<br>I Phantasy star too...<br>I have heard of PS muds before but could never find any. If you really get this running, I would love to play. For ideas on how to make a great MUD, go to http://www.kallistimud.com/. It's a great one! #)
=Aoiga=

Postby Chronosv2 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:58 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by LaconianShot</i><p>Entirely text sounds...interesting, to say the least, but have you ever considered putting stills in (like the PSII Text Adventure games)?<br></blockquote><p>That's a good idea. I think I might look into that, although it will be for the main areas (i.e. a picture of the Pioneer 2 Promenade on the Pioneer 2 Promenade, a picture of Forest 1 or 2 on entry of those areas (although areas will now be seamlessly linked) and so on. Unless I can get [a graphics artist]/[graphics artists] that doesn't mind drawing some 2800+ rooms (unless I reuse room graphics, at which point that number drops down to maybe 1400) when this is finished... (I have an idea in the works for an upcoming test phase wherein I'll be adding an area with over 200 rooms, and I imagine a lot of the original PSO areas will be greatly expanded as well once mapped and coded, providing maybe 100-200 rooms for each of those, not counting some new areas thought up by some friends and I)<p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by =Aoiga=</i><p>I love MUD's.<br>I Phantasy star too...<br>I have heard of PS muds before but could never find any. If you really get this running, I would love to play. For ideas on how to make a great MUD, go to http://www.kallistimud.com/. It's a great one! #) <br></blockquote><p>Thanks for the link! I'll take a look. Although this isn't a true "MUD" it does share quite a few qualities with one. Also, on the terms of playing it, right now it's still rather early in development, but if you'd like to take a look I'm going to probably have a public test phase around the 12th or 13th of September, as I'm currently in an akward networking situation and thus cannot host a server. (Firewalled PC behind Internet Sharing wirelessly behind a Router behind a DSL Modem :P)<p>On another note, I'll try and get some screenshots of it playing locally on my system, and post them to the PhanRev site. Show everyone the fruits of this labor of love and whet the appetite until I can get back to my dial-up, where I can easily host the server. (Note this game has handled 4-5 people connected nearly flawlessly)<p>Edit/Update:<br>Wow, 17 races in Kallisti...quite impressive. I've got...wait...the 3 races and 3 classes of PSO. Eventually (once I've satisfied the primary goal--to make an enjoyable PSO Text MMORPG) I might expand it with some fresh material, such as the original PS races. How to implement them into the stat system might be a bit tough but it shouldn't be too dificult with some work...but I think I need to get a form of basic NPC AI down before I really add that.<p>I'll have to keep looking about on the Kallisti MUD site.<p>[size=small][Edit by Chronosv2 on [TIME]1093954450[/TIME]][/size]
Chronosv2

Postby Xavier » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:31 pm

Chronosv, the link you provided isnt working for me...<p>Xavier
Xavier

Postby Chronosv2 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:45 pm

For some reason the signature pastes ?Session=[bunch of letters and numbers]...and it appears that the site is down right now. If the board is still on when it comes back up I'll let you know.
Chronosv2

Postby Xavier » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:53 pm

By the way, what are you using to program it? Im a programmer too and may get interested.<p>Xavier
Xavier

Postby Chronosv2 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:48 pm

I'm using an online game making system called BYOND. BYOND uses its own language (Dream Maker) to make games, and its language is very simmilar to C++.<p>An example is this: (>s are indentation--the code tags don't keep indentation formatting)<br>
Code: Select all
mob<br>>>>>PC<br>>>>>>>>>verb<br>>>>>>>>>>>>>say(msg as text)<br>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>usr << "<b>[usr]</b>: [msg] //outputs message to user"<br>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oview(usr) << "<b>[usr]</b>: [msg] //outputs message to all but user
<p>If you want more examples, contact me at kskeen@(nospam)fuse.net<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Chronosv2 on [TIME]1093967414[/TIME]][/size]
Chronosv2

Postby Chronosv2 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:42 pm

Update:<br>I hate the trickledown effect...managed.com owns servers that AngelNetworkz is renting or leasing to customers (such as myCubix, my host.) AngelNetworkz didn't pay their bills...so the entire AngelNetworkz system went down.<p>Managed.com --> AngelNetworkz --> myCubix --> PhanRev Website<p>I now have temporarily (hopefully temporarily...) lost service for PhanRev's hosting.<p>Sorry everyone...
Chronosv2

Return to Fan stuff