Phantasy Star V - Fan Game

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Well.. In the compendium, Noah was a "space fortress".

The Alisa 3 isn't a space fortress so therefore it couldn't be Noah. NOW parts from Alisa 3 coulda been used.. Well the moons around the Alisa 3 were Space Fortresses as well so..

Space fortress brings to mind SDF-1 type, etc. It would have to be relatively huge almost planet sized.

Skyman, when a serious game developer makes a game, they don't sit down to ask the fans what they think. That would take too damn long and nothing would get done because fans will never agree on the same thing.

These developers also don't tell the whole damn plot of a game before it is out. They never go. It is always a summary.

Saying "That can't happen." or something similar is destructive to the creative ideals. Anything is possible plot and story wise. What should be done is HELPING make the idea more logical as opposed to tearing it apart. Look at Namco Vs Capcom, Nippon Ichi titles, etc. ANYTHING is possible.

An Example: "I don't see how Zio could have descendants." That destroys the idea because it is someone's opinion. What should be done is thinking. You should instead ask "How would Zio get a descendant?" Then we can go into brainstorming! There are infinite possibilities.

Another example: "The Great Light can't be two people!" Which is counterproductive. Le Roof is the WILL of the Great Light. If there is a will, then a physical body exists buried somewhere or lost. Or a body can be made and someone tying to tie the spirit of Le Roof into the body. THus we have a Great Light reborn.

Help make his ideas a reality. Think to let them come to pass. Don't just write them off and say he is stupid for throwing them out.

With my Numan maker, the plot is done. The events are done. Whether the hell you people like the ideas or not doesn't matter. It is a game. Anything is possible and anything can be done.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:09 am

Good news that Noah isnt the Alisa III.
I've updated all Bios.
Added new characters, Modified others.
The story is making sense for me now but I am keen to get feedback about it all the same.
I've also updated the city adding a nice PS2 water effect.
Some Meiu walking sprites have also been added.

Check first post if your interested.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Finally finished that special thing I was working on.

Updates same as always first post.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rodrigo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:25 pm

WOW!!!!
the dark force looks great
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Thanks Rodrigo although just to state "Dark Force" technically isnt it's name.
Although there is definately some relation.

So guys let me know about character design opinions, story suggestions, I want to hear what your thinking.
Think Rem sounds like Sephiroth :cough: or There are just too many Nei's for one world.

Let me know.
Thanks

PS. should be updating my dungeon later on tonight
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Update back at first post.
Mainly shop keepers and a WIP dungeon.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Ultema » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Lord Khyron wrote:
Skyman, when a serious game developer makes a game, they don't sit down to ask the fans what they think. That would take too damn long and nothing would get done because fans will never agree on the same thing.

These developers also don't tell the whole damn plot of a game before it is out. They never go. It is always a summary.

Saying "That can't happen." or something similar is destructive to the creative ideals. Anything is possible plot and story wise. What should be done is HELPING make the idea more logical as opposed to tearing it apart. Look at Namco Vs Capcom, Nippon Ichi titles, etc. ANYTHING is possible.

An Example: "I don't see how Zio could have descendants." That destroys the idea because it is someone's opinion. What should be done is thinking. You should instead ask "How would Zio get a descendant?" Then we can go into brainstorming! There are infinite possibilities.

Another example: "The Great Light can't be two people!" Which is counterproductive. Le Roof is the WILL of the Great Light. If there is a will, then a physical body exists buried somewhere or lost. Or a body can be made and someone tying to tie the spirit of Le Roof into the body. THus we have a Great Light reborn.

Help make his ideas a reality. Think to let them come to pass. Don't just write them off and say he is stupid for throwing them out.

Oh goodness, I've been having this kind of discussion with people and I have to agree with you 100% Nothing should ever be really passed off as impossible until all avenues have been completely exhausted; something which doesn't happen very often at all.

And yes, it's a very bad idea for developers to talk to fans about anything, really, for the reason you mentioned, among others. It's just bad news, really -- while looking for input is alright, one should really make a game (or just about anything else creative) for one's self first and foremost, because who wants to get stuck working on something that is nowhere close to the original idea you built your own personal hype around, and not enjoy it?

I've been working in the creative field long enough to know that if you're not doing it for money, you need to do it for yourself.

On that note, HTD, I'm interested and keeping an eye on your project as it is, when I can. :) I've been having issues with the login here for a bit and whatnot, but I've attempted to keep tabs when I can. If there's anything I could assist with (given I have the free time) in terms of character art design, let me know. It's kinda my thing.
Ultema
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby HTD » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Sure Ultema, I've sent you a private message with my msn contact on it.
Add me and we can have a good discussion about the project.

I've changed a few things just to let you guys know.

I've change Demi/Dee into Lutz as I felt the other Lutz was too similar to Hahn and Rune in character design.

Bucks design is being worked on probably will look similar to this one below and not the poncho design.

Alec and Emi are definately out of the game and I plan on adding a more deeper character in it.

People have been asking me if Rui will be in the game, due to the difference in the time period and also me being unsure how long a Numan/Human would live, I can say No.
Hopefully someone else will make a fan game with him in though, so it just didnt feel right adding him in for the sake of it.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby orakio_rob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Man, this looks pretty interesting. Someone already asked you what you are using to develop this thing, and you said "Fenix". Do you have a link to it, I'm interested but I can't find it on Google - Fenix is quite a popular name :-)
orakio_rob
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Eminems » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:50 pm

This does look really good. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Making fangames is fun, I'm embarking on a similar project with a friend, although it's not a PS fangame. I like making sprites. :D
Eminems
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Firedrake110 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Very impressed, friend. I gotta say, if you're including androids, make sure to put in those "upgrades" for attacks that they can find in PS IV, like posibolt or phonon. They were an excellent piece of work flavor-wise, and are really just too good to pass up on. Including Demi in the game too wouldn't be so bad, considering that both demi and wren were out on zelan at the end of IV, so upon first visit to the station (if that's where you would have them be met), you could have the party leave with Demi in tow, and come back later with the pieces for Wren, and have the option to switch between the two, since one will always need to be there in case something goes wrong with the environmental systems (hint hint)

Also, the reassembling Wren idea is pure gold, but I think it should be an optional thing, kind of a reward to the dedicated player for finding all the pieces and whatnot (yeah everyone on the forums would make the effort to rebuild him lol). hmm... also, try to make sure if you don't have a need for obscene leveling upon arriving at every new area, since it turns of less-hardcore or dedicated fans/gamers (grinding is simple and easy, but some just can't bring themselves to do it).

Those sprites are really good work, btw. I think you've got the feel down really well for this style of game. I look forward to seeing more of this game, since I happen to have a dreamcast kicking around at my place and I love the games.
160 characters is not enough room to put anything of value into my sig. The best quotes are a little longer than that.
Firedrake110
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:01 pm

On a message board far, far away...
http://www.psalgo.com/bb/view-post7668.html#7668 wrote:Hey Everyone.

I have decided to cancel the project and start creating my own RPG title instead.
I feel that my work has been altered to suit the overall phantasy star fans and doesn't reflect my own.
Therefore I will be creating my RPG Shadows Of Aleah, which will have little connection to PS or it's sprites but will definately be influenced by the game.

My work isnt copyrighted but Id appreciate no one using any of my character ideas unless they are from previous PS, (Lutz design is still mine but her name isnt) hope that can be respected.

Good Luck Fans of PS and hopefully someone with more drive can give you the PS5 you truely deserve.

HTD
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Lord Khyron » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Hahaha..

Are you guys happy? Everyone happy who dissed his ideas and hated them?

Those people happy who wouldn't let him keep his ideas?

He found out his ideas wouldn't work in a PS game because the FANS here wouldn't allow them.

They had to bitch, moan and cut down and say they didn't like the ideas.

He has no incentive to finish it then. No one will be happy.

Are all of you happy? We lost a great fan game because some bastard fans had to complain and put down his ideas.

I hope you all enjoy stomping it out!

Haha.. Happy everyone? I sure hope you are!

THIS is why I don't ask for input from fans on what I do. They don't know a damn thing and will never be happy.
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:30 pm

Its true the project has been cancelled due to a few unsavoury emails, lack of finacial backing and limited freedom in the Phantasy Star Universe to feel that I am making a game that inspires me anymore.

It's not that I want to quit but more that I could be creating something that allows total freedom and still takes inspiration from PS.
I would only be willing to finish the game if
1. I had someone willing to pay for the coding
2. I had the communities support.

I really wish I had the money and time to dedicate to this but I am more interested now in converting the story into Shadows of Aleah, this way I can start completely fresh with no backstory what so ever.

Im sorry if this is a big let down and truely its ashame that its happened.
I just am at such a war with it and the effort I put into those sprites just was taken for granted on some forums as looking crap, I even had comments like "Why do you draw sprites like PS games", none of these people knew what they were talking about and the fustration just seemed pointless, why should I spend my FREE time slaving away on this if the majority of people dont even get what im trying to do.

With Respect to all who supported me.

The good news is:

PS 4 Remake looks amazing and I have full convidence in the project
Shadows Of Aleah will still appeal to those PS players looking for something similar.
I might even continue the project if I get inspired again but please understand THAT is a "MIGHT" not a "Will".

There is alot I had planned which would have flowed nicely with the rest of the series.... I just need to have support of some kind to be honest.
Not just this forum (Which has been rather open and cool) but more the other forums, the new age PS fans.
Seriously If I was making a Final Fantasy game the fans over at the Final Fantasy Forums would be going crazy about something like this.
I just figured Phantasy Star deserved a NEW game, If I feel like this though then its just going to be a depressing game full of fustration and lack of my personality, thats not what I am about.

Im open to discussion about this and want to know what you guys think.
I just guess its easier to say Cancelled than on pause.
I dunno.

For those of you interested this is the style of sprite for shadows of aleah.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck on your new project. Feel free to plug it in General Discussion when you have a demo or something else substantial. I'll be sure to play it. :)

As for the sprites, they look nice. One detail looks off, though. It's as if they're all looking to the left. I understand the effect you want to achieve, though, so I suggest mirroring their left eye.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff