Phantasy Star Earth's Past Fan game, new thread.

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star Earth's Past Fan game, new thread.

Postby mikepjr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:57 am

Im making a new topic because i can not update the first post in the old topic which was made back on the old board.

Anyhow, down the buisness.
First here are some screenshots of the battle system im working on, and yes the enemys do animate, only thing that does not animate is the backgrounds, which i plan to fix that ASAP.

Next are some smple maps showing off graphics and style for the game.
Dungeon, not much there at the momen, but i plan to add that sence of not knowing where you are going by adding nothing more then a flashlight effect, it will change with direction your facing, and if you do not have a flashlight or lamp, it will be dark and you wont be able to move forward, if i was a good enough scripter id add the classic dungeons like in PS1.. but i dont sadly.

A cave, rather then make new graphics for everything i plan to use a lot
of RMXPs default graphics, i walked around witht he main character in rooms and such using the graphics and i thought they went together rather well.

The overworld, why am i showing this?
New ocean graphics is why, and yes the coast line does animate ala PS1.

A tech place, unlike PS2s tech looking places, i thought it would look better if the first floor of these places had outside graphics like PS4 does in some places. And yes those are ripped graphics from PS2 in use.. i think they look good.

And finaly, a village.. im going to add more shadows later to things like buildings and such, some of the graphics shown are from RMXPs graphics.

Okay, thats about all i have for the moment, in a sec ill post a link to the old topic for people.
here is the link http://www.pscave.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1548

So far no city graphics are shown simply cause the ones i have are crapy rips that i need to upgrade to more detailed ones.. then ill show you what i have.

I want this game to be both a real sequal and a restart of the series back in its classic form, i feel sega was stupid to ditch the original storys and the world of algo all together in favor of the BS online games.. sorry to those who love the online ones.. i do not like them.. 3D is fine but to me.. it was too much of a departure and needed to just have some kind of link to the old series.. and their are tidbits of links to the old PS game.. in PSO1 their were some bakers deep down underground baking.. you guessed it.. shortcakes.. that was one small connection to the old series.. sadly i did not see any other connections.. this game will have major connections.. ill give you all a hint to the story line.. the main character is a landel, the great great great great great .. lots of greats lol grandson of Alysa Landel.. the female in some of the old screen shots with blue hair is a lutz.. the Android/Cyborgs make a return, in fact the big blond guy is a new model based on Wrens design.
I am still debating the return of an algolian cat as a main character.
Also, most of the game takes place on earth, but you will be headed back to algo.. or whats left of it for a reason i will not be saying at this time.

*catches his breath*
Okay, as soon as i have more to show ill post more... in fact i need to upload a pic of the main characters face.. i hope people like this when its done.. im working my ass off on it.

Oh, one more thing, this game may be too big to host on PScave so i may have to find a palce for it.. if anyone has dial up.. get ready to leave your connection on over nite lol

-EDIT-
New Terrain graphics.
I made new trees as well as new grass and new dirt.
Any comments are welcome.

I am still at work on this, it is just taking me awhile, im going slower then usual.
This project will take awhile, it would not take as long but the enter time the board was gone when i first started on this, i just stop working on it cause of the fact that i had no audiance so i figured why keep working on it.
Anyhow, since starting it back up their has been a lot of progress.
But im taking someones advice and working on graphics first and formost.

Im waiting on my scanner to be fixed, once it is fixed ill do more graphics by hand, one great thing about RMXP is their is no limits in colors or detail, so i am free to work my magic ^.^

-UPDATE-
I thought id give some insight on the main charecter.
Im still debating a first name for him, but he is a Landel.
Im still trying to think of what he even does, other then being the main character, is he a hunter, or an agent for the new government on earth, or is he someone who is like a jack of all trades?
Any ideas would help in the story development.
Last edited by mikepjr on Thu May 15, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:26 am

I like what I see. Keep up the good work. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Abominae » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:56 pm

It looks, to me, like everything's coming along really well with this. the only thing I would change is probably the combat option <ABILITY> to <TECHNIQUE> (TECH looks like it'd fit better) or <SKILL> (A la PS4).

There was one more thing I was going to mention... but I can't remember what... OH! RIGHT! The overworld graphics look good but the buildings look a bit out of place to me. That's just my opinion tho.
Abominae

Postby Edless » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:21 pm

You work with passion and I'm sure it'll turn out to be a good game.

Sega really shouldn't have ditch the original story line and I really hope you can give the serie a proper sequel.

Thanks for your work.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:42 am

It says ability because both TECHNIQUE and MAGIC are accessed through abilitys.
If it is Magic, it will have a symbal for magic, if it is a tech it will have the tech symbal, give me a bit to get a screenshot to show you what i mean.

Rather then trying to script in 2 diff slots, one for magic and one for tech, i chose that both would be abilitys thus the section abilitys .. if you dislike this, get someone to help me with the scripting, im doing what i can.

I really wanted to have the same selections as PS4 had but i can't.
Find me a scripter who can help and ill change those things, otherwise it will be within my capabilitys... i said it before and ill say it again.. my abilitys lay in graphics and story, not scripting or programing, if something is a sertin way and you dislike it, think to yourself.. "well he must have it that way for a good reason".

Im sorry for being so gruff and rude... a lot going on in my life right now.. i have a vision for this game.. but its hard to do with my limitations.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Then I recommend you do all the graphics and story first, and scripting last.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Then I recommend you do all the graphics and story first, and scripting last.

That's the way I do it. It's a lot easier to just choose which weapon you want to use in a store or chest rather than making it and the battle animation during the same time as the story.

Nice work by the way, your game is coming along quite nicely! :)
Run for your lives! It's the huge sandworm that never reaches you!
Danny
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Abominae » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:51 pm

If I knew scripting, I'd help. But I don't. However, if I could find out where to learn it, or find someone willing to teach it, I'd help with whatever I learned. As of right now, you'll have to settle for waiting for me to learn it thru the "For Dumbasses" guides. I'm aiming for the "Beggingers: Scripting" or something like that. However, I don't know exactly which one I need to pick up for a task like this.
Abominae

Postby mikepjr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:18 am

Im like, going all over the place... figure of speach.. im doing different things when i feel like doing them lol.. one minute its graphics, the next.. story... then i mess with scripting a little.. which all i can do is mod scripts.. not make new ones.. its been hard.. at times i want to give up.. but i just end up taking a brake lol.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 am

First post updated.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Abominae » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 pm

I don't know how the graphics thing works with the system you're using but I used to use Microsoft Paint very often to work on small things like that. I started with just changing colors but moved on to altering the actual appearance (Lufia 2(SNES) sprites were very influential). I also worked on the 32-bit Megaman X sprites... just to see if I could. The Megaman 9 (Megaman & Bass) sprites are 32-bit compatable I think. They certainly look superior to the ones we're more familiar with.

Anyway, this is just a thought. I know it sounds like a lot, but it'll improve the quality of your work.

I'm not neccessarily saying you have poor quality work, because it is really good... I'm just saying that I always look for ways to improve my crafts... and this is what I did when I was starting out.
Abominae

Postby mikepjr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:51 am

Im using adobe photoshop, i draw things big then shrink them down a bit and modify them further.
That grass patern is actualy from PS3, i ripped it and reworked it.
The graphics can be made any way i please with RMXP to be honest.
Though im not exactly sure what your saying..... what are you saying?

You mention something a few posts back about the buildings being out of place, i was trying to go for a high res PS1 look, thats why they look like that.

BTW, i updated the first post with info on the main charecter.

I have a question for everyone... im thinking of using PS3 monsters and giving them more animations, originaly they stood there doing nothing until they attacked, if i use them im going to expand apon them and the things they do, any ideas would be greatly apretiated (god my spelling sucks).

Im a bit worried about my spelling in this game... im worried about a lot to be honest.

Also, i want to use MP3 or OGG for music, i found a lot of great MP3s from sega rocks and so on i have cut and reedited for use in my game.... sad part about that is it will make the file larger when DLing... but i cant find any midis that are worth a rats ass.. every midi i find is worse thent he original song they are based off.. PS2 midis i have found sound horrible to me.. PS4 and even 1.. only midis that i have found that come close to sounding good are for PS3... would anyone mind some non PS music in the game?
I was thinking music from 7th saga might sound good... im so confused lol

oh and one more thing about the graphis, each tile is twice that of what the SNES uses for RPGs, so it is different.. making graphics in MS paint wont work for me.. way too tedious.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dima.PSIV.Fan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Wow! Looks so awesome :D
~ Phantasy Star IV ~
Dima.PSIV.Fan
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby mikepjr » Mon May 05, 2008 6:44 am

Ty, im working hard on it.

Anyhow, i want to report on a set back i had, im having to do some reprograming from the ground up with my scripts because of a bug that kept causing the game to freeze after using the menu a few times.

Anyhow, im back on track, working on the graphics slowly, it can be hard, XP using graphics twice the size of what other makers like RM2K and RM2K3 use.

Rather then having a bunch of windows at the bottom for each charecter, i have one long box, as soon as i have more done visualy ill post more.

Scripting is my big concern, i simply do not have the ability to make a battle system exactly like PS2 or 4s.
The menu will not be exactly like anything you have seen before either.

Anyhow, thats all i have to report.

Im taking a long brake..
Ill get this game done one day..
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 am

this project is canned.. for now anyhow.. i just do not have it in me anymore.. i can not get this game going.. plus i dont think anyone really liked where i was going with it.. so im done.. sorry everyone.. maybe one day ill pick it back up.. but i am not going to keep people waiting for nothing..

sorry
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Fan stuff