Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Daren » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Alright here is a little update.

During the process of creating this game, I had to develop lots of little things that didn't exist, such as new weapons, monsters, chipsets, etc. I've finished writing the second part of this 4 chapter game and since I didn't want you use any of the already existing chipsets, I once again I had to create a new one for some of the old abandoned system's lab here and there placed around the main Palman world. Of course these are inspired from the original Bio Systems labs in PS4 but are completely original.

It's not finished yet but the basic elements are there, walls, floor and side tiles. I'm trying to figure out how to make a water wall like you can see in aquariums where you see the fishes on the other side of the window/wall. Of course, there won't be any fish on the other side ;) I also have to animate the lights on there.

Alright Back to work
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 pm

I think what I like the most about your tiles, are they truly look original... I love it, bro.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:04 am

Man... how you do that? How do you create those? What's on your mind when you start creating those?

Wow!
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:39 am

Zucca wrote:Man... how you do that? How do you create those? What's on your mind when you start creating those?

Wow!

Well... The first wall tile I did took me about an hour and an half to figure out in what style I wanted it, I tried a few things out till I got to this style and then the rest flowed pretty smoothly. It looks hard Zucca, but it's not really hard when all comes down to it.
I took the original Bio-Plant tiles and studied them, how the light hit the wall, what was the depth of the walls and cracks on it. Then I tried doing something that had the same feel. This is what turned out, it took about 5 hours to make these. But keep in mind that I've been doing this for a while now and well you get better at it and faster. My first attempts took a hell of a lot more time to make and the results were less then what I had envisioned.

You can learn a lot of things by just trying ;) And thanks very much BTW it's always nice to know that I'm going in the right direction.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 pm

You are truly talented at spriting, Daren. And I do agree that practice makes perfect! Your work always looks like it could actually come out of a 16-bit Genesis game. :D Actually, it's even better than PSIVs.

Are you planning to animate them? You know, glowing lights and all.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 pm

lyla2284 wrote:You are truly talented at spriting, Daren. And I do agree that practice makes perfect! Your work always looks like it could actually come out of a 16-bit Genesis game. :D Actually, it's even better than PSIVs.

Are you planning to animate them? You know, glowing lights and all.

Very kind words Lyla so thanks very much and I already did ;)

Here's what it looks like.

I like the results and as you all can see I managed to make that window wall with the water behind it. So now I can truly say it's done I just have to make equipment and stuff that would be in a tech dungeon.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Man, you just keep impressing the hell out of me, bro... Every time you post something new, I fiend more and more to get my hands on your game...
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby lyla2284 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Super awesome work, Daren. I love the animated water. Was it sampled from the canals in Aiedo? How on earth do you manage to animate the tiles without autotiles? Or are they autotiles?
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:26 pm

It's rm2k, I think he uses char "below hero"... wth am I doing... I should let him answer his own questions... I'M HIS MANAGER! Naw, seriously though, this guy is amazing at tiles.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Edge is right Lyla, I'm using charsets, copying and pasting the original tiles in there aligning them and deleting almost the entire tile while just keeping the light part in. Then I'm using "Face up, face left, face down, face right" as movements, with of course having the light part light slowly higher. It's pretty easy, you just have to get it right.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:27 am

Here is what I've been working on today.

Like I said the other day, I've been working on eliminate the original PS 4 and 2 tiles from my game and instead have completely new and original chipsets. It's only normal in my opinion that when you have a new game, it should come with new stuff. So I've been working on another tech style dungeon and here is the result so far.

As you can see, it's red lol and it's also not finished yet, I need to work on 3 more wall tiles and on animating those lights but so far I'm doing good progress.
And yes Lyla, it's the water tile from the canals in PS4, I didn't feel like making my own.
Alright back to work.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:50 am

Red Dam^2.
Looks cool, as usually. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Alright Quick Update!

Just wanted to post the animated lights for the second tech dungeon.

Next on my list, yet another dungeon... Yeah I know. My plan here is to fabricate a more industrial style dungeon, something dirty, old and grayish. I'll post something as soon as I can.

Alright back to work
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Alright, here is how envision the Industrial plant.

I'll try to build on this and see where it leads me.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:43 pm

This looks great Daren! However, the red might be a little bit tough on the eyes, but works.

Keep it up.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff