Phantasy Star: Genesis

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby HTD » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:01 pm

brilliant progress.

A little advice about the art on the battler sprites, try not to pillow shade.
Use PS4 sprites as references, look how the shading works.

You have done it the right way, i wish i never used rpg maker now SIGH,

Good for you!
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 am

HTD wrote:brilliant progress.

A little advice about the art on the battler sprites, try not to pillow shade.
Use PS4 sprites as references, look how the shading works.

Good for you!

Hey HTD

First off thanks for the comments but let me explain why the shading is different from PS4, It all depends on the lighting effect and where the light is situated. If you look at PS4's sprites, you'll notice en error if you compare the monster sprites or the character battle sprites, The lighting effect on the monsters come from the front and for the CBS comes from the side (if memory serves me well) I'm making the sprites with the same light effect which comes from the front for every battle sprites. This is why the shading is much different from PS4's sprites.

I have looked at the shading from the original game and the battle animation I did did have that shading effect , but as I continued on the sprites I decided to change the light effect.

Don't know if you see the difference but I do.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:00 pm

I understand but its more the technique of showing the light source.
When an amatuer spriter "Pillow shades" you are left with a kinda frumpy circular effect, so the light source maybe correct in direction but you sacrafice detail which gives clothing for eample a sense of realism.

BTW your animation though looks fabulous.

Its a minor point in the long run but i'll try and give you an example, when I am not so busy.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:10 am

HTD wrote:I understand but its more the technique of showing the light source.
When an amatuer spriter "Pillow shades" you are left with a kinda frumpy circular effect, so the light source maybe correct in direction but you sacrafice detail which gives clothing for eample a sense of realism.

BTW your animation though looks fabulous.

Its a minor point in the long run but i'll try and give you an example, when I am not so busy.

I think I understand a little better what you are talking about, I'd love to see en example so I can try and fix the animation.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Daren, out of personal interest, are there any updates to your project that you would like to share?
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Edge » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

You know... I have Daren on Skype and haven't seen or heard from him in quite a while... He was having me build a site for him, and said he'd give me the details for a it a couple days later, and *poof* never saw him again... I hope he's alright.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:23 pm

I spoke with him recently. He's very busy with other things at the moment.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Daren » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Sorry guys, no updates because I haven't worked on it for the last 2 months. You see, I've gotten a new job which is of course, a good thing, yet I've been working 10 to 12 hour days for the last few months which, in turn has taken most of the free time I've had and by the time I get home I'm dead tired, to much so to work on new animations or maps or well, basically anything regarding the game.
Things are looking up though because this week I've changed my work place and have been about to do normal hours... For once! Next week I'm on vacation "everyone, put your hands in the air and JUMP!" so I've put some time on the side to finish a few animations that I started.
Right now, I still have to finish the battle animation for Kira although I have no clue what weapon to give her, (Any ideas everyone?) I have to make the "fire" spell and make it look somewhat like the original one in PS1 and I have to edit Tsu and Gistu out of my version of Natsu I made a few months back. If I manage to do that then all animations for the demo will be completed. I also need to finish the script re-write which is at the very end, (only two scenes remaining) and then ship it to Benoit for final corrections (still up for it Ben?)
Map wise, they are finished, well one needs some edits.
I also need to make a system where some of the monster drop parts of themselves when killed, like claws, furs, etc and with those you'll be able to make some weapons, special items or just plain sell them to make extra money.
Has for the monster animations........... You know, I'm all for it and I'd love to have more time to make tons of monsters so that everything would be all new, but sadly, I haven't got the time so I'm sorry to say that most monsters from the original games will be added to my monsters and yes that sucks.
Has for music, the composer has 6 other tracks to send over and has for the art....... I HAVE NO BLOODY ARTIST! it's so hard to find someone willing to keep with the project and draw 80+ pictures for it. I was willing to pay them and good money to but I've gotten no where and yes I'm pissed about it.
After that when I get the script back, I'll code everything with the help of Edge if he's also still interesting to reshow me how to make the monster animations and other stuff, I'll compress the file for the game and post it online for everyone to download and try it out. Now, if it's a success then I'll start work on the second chapter which will really give the players some cool little snippets of info about PS2 as they go along. (The start of PS2's story, starts around the end of the second chapter and I'm adding some things from the original game in mine to give it some continuity) Now if that chapter goes well, then in the third one the player will actually visit Mota at the same time Rolf and co are in they're quests. But that's all way far off and for now I'm concentrating on the first chapter and it's main characters.

Alright that's all but at least you guys know where I'm going with it all.

Expect some update during the next week.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Do you want help with Graphics?
PM me
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Yes, I'm still up for script editing. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Daren » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 pm

HTD wrote:Do you want help with Graphics?
PM me

Sure, look at your PM

Yes, I'm still up for script editing. Smile

Great because the script will come your way next week.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:34 am

For starters, I'm still game to do everything we started... Animations, site, etc... Also, as far as enemies dropping pieces of themselves... Yet another area I already have done... I'll log into Skype, so... Catch up with me bro.

As far as graphics go, I'd stick to one artist... So, see what HTD has for ya... I've recently downloading illegally (sorry!) a Manga Maker... I dunno why... I don't write Manga... Just thought it'd be fun to f**k with, y'know?

Anyhow, nice to seeya have some time free, bro. Holla at ya boy.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:29 am

Okay it isn't much here.
I swapped your "Nero?" character from being a Rolf/Chaz colour swap.
Made him similar to the style you have so it's not drastic but the little changes work better imo.

HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Working on the Fire magic spell, expect an animation of this very soon.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Daren » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Has promised I worked on a new animation today and of course like I said earlier it's the new fire magic for Lana the Numan character (Heck every PS game needs one ;) )
I had to redesign the character to make it look like it's battle animation counterpart which is...

This is the old sprite I used and lets face it, it's Nei with a cape.

BTW you can all use the "old" Nei sprite in your games if you want.

This is the redesign and what I finished which is only the cast animation. I'm still figuring out what I want the actual magic "hit" to look like.

Now I know about the skin color and yes, I don't like it as well but you need to understand that I'm very limited in actual colors.

Alright that's all for now.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff