PSIV: Beneath a New Light. (I'M BACK...with a bang!)

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Daren » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:38 pm

thepeaguy wrote:I'm sorry to quote, but fan games are naff... forgive me...

LOL

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I mean have you tried them all? I accept the fact that probably half can be bad to even unplayable but I'm sure there are some out there that could be as good as any game.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:43 am

Cave Story is made by one guy and it is awesome.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Daren » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:35 pm

thepeaguy wrote:Cave Story is made by one guy and it is awesome.

Took you a month to find one? ;)

so you see, not all of em are all that bad. What's that game about btw?
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby meteor9 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:04 am

Daren wrote:
thepeaguy wrote:Cave Story is made by one guy and it is awesome.

Took you a month to find one? ;)

so you see, not all of em are all that bad. What's that game about btw?

Cave Story isn't a fan game.

I think what he's saying is that, with Cave Story, not only was it done by one guy, not only was it awesome, but that one guy also did all the art, all the sprites, all the level graphics and structure, created a sound system, wrote all the music in said sound system, made the sound effects, wrote the story, and balanced all this out with secrets and multiple endings.

Again, all by one guy, so the previously mentioned "well graphics are hard" thing is nullified by one Japanese guy doing twenty minutes of coding per day while riding the bus home from work.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Daren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm

meteor9 wrote:

I think what he's saying is that, with Cave Story, not only was it done by one guy, not only was it awesome, but that one guy also did all the art, all the sprites, all the level graphics and structure, created a sound system, wrote all the music in said sound system, made the sound effects, wrote the story, and balanced all this out with secrets and multiple endings.

Again, all by one guy, so the previously mentioned "well graphics are hard" thing is nullified by one Japanese guy doing twenty minutes of coding per day while riding the bus home from work.

Sure one guy can do all of this, it's just really time consuming for something you won't be able to sell if of course it's done on any of the already coded program such as RPG Maker. If one guy can do all of the mention things on his own then it's quite an accomplishment. Our problem (us fans) is that we all want to do are own things, our stories, or our whatever and If we were to team up, there would never be a finished product. It's a shame though cause I'm sure that if we could all agree on one storyline and then divide the process into our own parts (one does the music 2 or 3 does the battle animations, one the sound, etc) we could build a pretty good thing. Alas, I dough that would ever happen.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

LOL!

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:39 pm

I guess this has been omitted from the original's intro.

"During the Great Collapse, Dark Force infected everyone with his ultimate Trisomy 23 attack."

...Which Lyla has succeeded in her character designs. The principal, gawd... talk about a bad case of the Down's.

"Wil u shurup an fin tat green brushy ting? I pay u mah farts fer yer survices... slluurrrp."

Don't get me started on the enemy sprites floating off the background floor. This fan game is laughable.

But it's what a fan game should have been.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Xander » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:57 pm

It's in the beta stage, that generally implies it's not finished.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 pm

When something is in beta, it's mostly finished. No more features will be added, and it's all about squashing as many bugs as possible. This does not include tweaking the design or placement of assets.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Re: LOL!

Postby meteor9 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 am

thepeaguy wrote:

But it's what a fan game should have been.

Which then rolls back around to what I said to begin with: you can't write off every single fan game due to the fact that, while almost hilariously unlikely, someone may very well come and do a Cave Story quality job on it.

thepeaguy again wrote:Roundabout thing on faces

While I'm not exactly the friendliest guy (and the whole lifted dialogue thing still bugs me a little as it was your first impression on me) and I do agree with peaguy, I won't be quite as harsh about it. One of the most noticable things so far in your character redesigns is in the faces (And Alys' unintelligible upper torso, but that's something you seem to be working on). Heads tend to be squashed depending on what direction they're looking, and your faces seem to pick up extraneous lines of detail that tend to make them look more skeletal than anything else.

Ideally, I'd say look at the original PS4 artwork. It's rather simplistic annie-mays style (And in some cutscenes downright embarrassing), but it'd probably be a step in the right direction to soften up some of the hard edges and lose some detail and in the faces for the time being.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:45 pm

meteor9 wrote:
Which then rolls back around to what I said to begin with: you can't write off every single fan game due to the fact that, while almost hilariously unlikely, someone may very well come and do a Cave Story quality job on it.

Yes I can. If fan games are shit, I'll generally write them off as such. If I was a programming pro, I'd likely come up with a brilliant PS fan game that'll blow your socks off.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby meteor9 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm

thepeaguy wrote:Yes I can. If fan games are shit, I'll generally write them off as such. If I was a programming pro, I'd likely come up with a brilliant PS fan game that'll blow your socks off.

But then it would be a fan game and you wouldn't play it. We're going in circles here.
meteor9
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 pm

meteor9 wrote:
thepeaguy wrote:Yes I can. If fan games are shit, I'll generally write them off as such. If I was a programming pro, I'd likely come up with a brilliant PS fan game that'll blow your socks off.

But then it would be a fan game and you wouldn't play it. We're going in circles here.

Well fan games are generally shit and anything I make will be awesome.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby lyla2284 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 pm

It's been ages since I updated this thread of mine. I can't believe I'm still at it after all this time... Anyhoo, ALOT of stuff has changed since I was here last. Some changes:

- Chaz and Rika no longer form part of the cast. No character deaths and Rika merely does not exist in this alternate PS universe.
- Hahn and Gryz are given major roles in the storyline, which has changed drastically as well.
- Zio may become a playable character.
- Daughter is given a major role as well, instead of just being thrown in as a side-quest towards the end of the game. She had massive potential as well, which was overlooked in PS4.
- Juza becomes a major boss, and Zio is more of a late-game boss now.

New screens: Lots of images coming up.

And if any of you need help with RMXP/VX or with scripts, I'll be more than happy to lend a helping hand with regard to other fan-games. :)

Okay, you may continue with your trolling and flaming now.
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 pm

There's an interesting twist.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby rodrigo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 am

great update
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid