How Phantasy Star III Should Be Remade!!

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How Phantasy Star III Should Be Remade!!

Postby Edge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 am

Yes, this isn't me announcing I'm making a Phantasy Star III remake (Although I am SERIOUSLY considering it) this is me saying what would be required in remaking Phantasy Star III...

For starters, the generation system needs to go... Why? Because no matter what routes you take, and no matter who you marry, you will end up doing the same things (or exploring the same dungeons) anyway... Nial's entire quest is done in the 3rd generation, and obtaining Laya is even done twice if you married Lena, for whatever absurd reason you'd do that.

So, how do you eliminate the generation system, yet keep the story intact? That's extremely easy... Base it off Orakio and Laya back when the ships were still new. It'd tie easier into the Phantasy Star series if you were to do that, anyway...

Keep all the dungeons, all the towns, all the castles... Everything is fine as it is... Eliminate Laya's pendant until literally the end, and put the removed dungeons you can never enter back into the game...

Towns need to be remade to be more lively, maybe use different instruments for the same town music in different places... The towns themselves, have more going on, ppl talking about more, and houses not to plain and boring.

Use PS4 graphics for the sprites, and redo the coloring, for the tiles, PS3 doesn't have bad one's, if you just slightly edit them, and livin them up a bit with color... You could always use PS4 tiles, or even new one's completely...

Play as Orakio, traveling with Miun and Siren... Make Wren and Mieu parts of the ending after sealing dark force and hearing of his return in 1,000 years... Battle against Lune and Laya, with Laya joining at the end once she realizes there are more troublesome manners than just Orakio and his band of cyborgs... Wanna put diversity back in? You can switch between Orakio and Laya during the game.

These are just some ideas I had while pondering making my own PS3 remake, which again, I am not announcing, however, anyone considering making one, should take the whole Orakio/Laya war into consideration... You can keep the game almost the same, with a totally new story, and tie it into the Phantasy Star series in the process... I dunno, just kinda think it's a really good idea.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 am

Proposing to remove the generation system is like proposing to remove the core of PSIII, so I strongly disagree on that one.

Everything else sounds like you're talking about a PSIII prequel, not an actual remake.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby ThugsRook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 am

yes, id suggest making it a prequel... Orakio & Laya.
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 am

The problem there is, everything still remains the same... The generation aspect to me, ruins it... ONLY IF, you go back to beat the game twice... I was so disappointed my second trip through when I married Lena, and realized I was playing Sean's quest just earlier... You all didn't find that odd? No matter how you do it, prequel, or sequel, to make any sense at all you'd still have the same passages and caves on the ship holding the 8 (planets?) domes.

Perhaps a prequel would be best described, but the game's dungeons and that would still remain the same... Even if titled as a "prequel" it'd still really be more of a remake...

I wouldn't mind keeping a generation system even, if there was some way to make EACH generation completely different, with no redundant missions. Honestly, I don't see much room for disagreement on the fact that all the things done after Rhys is done on all quest, except maybe the rescue of Thea... Everywhere else HAS to be explored in order to reach Sage Island and beat the game.

So, yeah... I guess it'd be titled as a prequel, but honestly, the game would only be a remake.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby ThugsRook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 am

you need to keep in mind, PSIII is an unfinished game. what we got was only about half of it at best.

yes i agree, the generational thing didnt turn out too great, especially your 2nd/3rd/4th time thru realizing they are the same exact missions.
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Wow, actually I never knew that at all... Half finished? Do you have sources regarding what we missed out on? That'd spur an interesting remake worth making!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby ThugsRook » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Edge wrote:Wow, actually I never knew that at all... Half finished? Do you have sources regarding what we missed out on? That'd spur an interesting remake worth making!

id have to search for sources, i dont have anything bookmarked ATM.

but yea, its only about half finished. that explains a lot actually. i dont remember ever reading about what was ommited from the game, but their deadline was cut way short.
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah, I've read about the weapons and stuff that were removed from the game, as well as Snow pendant or something... Not to mention a few "passage" caves that weren't ever even put into the game... It makes a ton of sense... I'll do some research on this, thanks for the heads up.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mono » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 am

In fact, what you want is a prequel, where you can access every part of the worldship, meet a lot of people who will actually have anything relevant to say. That's the vibrant world within Alisa III a thousand years back, before the war that tore it appart, that I always wanted to see too.

But PSIII, as it came out, can't be replaced by Orakio and Laya's adventure, because they just can't lead to the same spot in the Phantasy Star continuity. It is an entirely different game you want.

There is no conclusive source about PSIII being a half finished game (besides what we can see, empty places, caves that can't be accessed, half assed battle system and techs, etc). But you can play Sorcerer's Kingdom and find out what may have been the game they were working on when they decided they had to release a sequel to PSII as soon as possible.
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 am

The World of Phantasy Star's Phantasy Star III chapter isn't conclusive enough? It's an officially licensed book.
BenoitRen

Postby Edge » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

That link was really interesting to say the least... So, maybe a remake would need to figure out what they needed to figure out, with more time put into it... I may sit down and start writing... If I do end up with a "good" story, I will more than likely put it together.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:21 pm

No, don't take out the generations! Then it wouldn't be Generations of DOOM. I mean, the whole generation thing is the foundation for the entire game.

If the game were to ever be remade, the best thing the developers could do was expand on each different generation and timeline and make it different. That would add so much replayability and insight to the game, especially if the player could only get the whole story by completing the entire thing.

Kind of like Dragon Age Origins. Anyone here played that? Know what I mean?
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Edge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Yeah, I do... Dragon Age: Origins was fricken awesome... Money well spent... I guess you're right, but you'd literally have to think of ENTIRELY new scenarios for each generation, since everything after Rhys was repeated in each generation... Ugh, I guess if I can write something I'm pleased enough with, I'll do it... But who knows if I can match the geniuses of Sega back then.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Edge wrote:Yeah, I do... Dragon Age: Origins was fricken awesome... Money well spent... I guess you're right, but you'd literally have to think of ENTIRELY new scenarios for each generation, since everything after Rhys was repeated in each generation... Ugh, I guess if I can write something I'm pleased enough with, I'll do it... But who knows if I can match the geniuses of Sega back then.

Isn't somebody already making a fan remake of PS3? I remember playing a demo of Rhys' generation.

Though, another one would be fun too. :)
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 am

That was Lysander86's remake, which he released years ago. He doesn't seem to have done any more work on it, which isn't surprising, as he seems to have a reputation for not finishing his projects. :(
BenoitRen

Next

Return to Fan stuff