Could use a little help.

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Could use a little help.

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 pm

I have an idea for an RPG fangame, but I want to know which would be a good RPG making program to download, and not have to spend a lot of money on.

Edge gave some suggestions I think, which one would be good? Here it what I was thinking of in terms of style of how I want to make the RPG. I was going to use Phantasy Star IV style sprites for the over world and such. And use Fire Emblem style sprites for the battles. And I want the enemies and bosses to be animated too.

And that about covers it. But I guess I should mention menus, as I was thinking of doing one where you see the faces of the characters in your party. Sort of like Phantasy Star 3, 4, and the Lunar series I think.

So I would like to know which would be a god RPG making program to get that kind of result, and I would be doing the sprites myself, but could use a little help with the backgrounds. :wink:
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:46 am

Animated enemies? That could be hard to find! My bread and butter has always been the rpgmaker series, but, honestly, I don't know of any scripts to animated enemies in the series. Well, I do, but for the side view battle system... Supposedly RMXP had a .gif script for using enemies (Which I'm assuming you could animate) but I lost the source of this.

Do you have ANY programming experience? That would be one important question to finding the right engine for you, and if you do, what language(s)?

Also, if we can find that gif deal, I'm making a menu system for battles for Lyla's game, if I can ever get a second to myself... My new job is demanding, I work 6am - 9pm, and so far, I haven't had a day off yet, and I'm unsure when that day is coming. However, this job's saved my life, and I'm living it up now... When I'm not working. But I do enjoy my new work ^_^

ANYHOW, if/when I finish this script, IF you use the rpgmaker engines, and IF Lyla is cool with it, I could send the source, which is one step done!

Anyhow, let me know if you have any programming experience, and I'll give you the rundown, bro.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:25 am

I have some decent programming experience, thanks to the Games Factory, I know how to program and properly animate the characters, what they can do, level setups, the works. Just that the Games Factory doesn't do RPGs. It's mostly for platforming, and a few other things.

Anyway, yeah, I was planning on doing a side to side view for the battle system. Anyway, if you can help me, and if anyone could, that would be great. :D
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 am

If you're doing a side-view battle system, then I'd heavily suggest RMVX... It has one of the nicest side view battle systems (addon) and is customizable as all hell.

As far as helping you goes, if you use MSN or Yahoo, I'll gladly give you my info and help as much as possible (Just pm me). I'm online all day, I'm just not home all day.

I dunno if you've heard of it or not, but Verge is pretty decent for people knowledgeable in C++ programming. Still, I would suggest RMVX, cause most of your work is already done, an anything you want to add, someone has probably already made.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info, I do have a yahoo account. So shall I PM you my email address here?
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Yeah, that's fine, I'm at work like 14 hours a day, so I don't get to use my laptop much, but I got Yahoo and MSN at work, an chat pretty much all day long, and could help you out quite a bit. PM the info, and I'll add you under my girls account, so if it says "Chinelle" has added you, it's Edge!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I sent PMed you my email. :D
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby lyla2284 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:37 am

personally, i'd recommend rpgmaker xp. That's the engine i'm using right now. Imo rmvx's graphic style doesn't work for ps fan games and rmxp has a wide range of scripts to work with, moreso than vx, i believe. And you are welcome to use my sources. I'm cool with it. 8)
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, do you have the tiles from Phantasy Star IV? Mostly the Phantasy Star sprites I will be using are the over world ones for the characters, and areas and such. Battle sprites are going to be ones custom made from Fire Emblem ones.

Maybe a little bit of doing to make the enemies, but I should be able to pull it off.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby lyla2284 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Depending on what engine you are using, there are far more superior sprites out there than PS4's, including an amazing looking overworld map and hi-res interiors. I've also redone the towns sprites so that it would blend in well with the overworld tileset. The only resources I'm using from the original are the battler sprites (modified, thanks to Zucca. :wink: ).
lyla2284
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Well, all I really need are tiles for the more modern and high tech areas. Otherwise I can use the tiles already in the RMVX for the areas and such, I just need only a few tile areas. To make a lad, space station, that kind of thing.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 pm

On a side note, VX can use XP tiles, and sprites... You just have to import them...
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Fan stuff