Fan Fiction - where to find it?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:29 pm

If nothing comes up tomorrow, the fanfic section will go up.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby carlsojos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:53 am

I wanted to give a link if anybody needs a refresher for American-style grammar.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

This link leads to a college website that I've been referencing for the past 2 months to maintain my writing quality, and contains all the major rules for almost every type of writing, from grammar(very useful) to APA citations(which are irrelevant to fiction), even down to a few cures for writer's block.
Last edited by carlsojos on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:32 am

Your assessment of the situation is not exactly what I could call encouraging for a beginner...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby carlsojos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 am

My mind seems to have split between the two interpretations I gleaned from your response, so I will simply respond to both implied meanings.

That website is simply a reference guide, which works best when you are not sure of something in particular, so it's simpler than it looks at first.

My other interpretation suggests that you were actually referring to my comment about myself as a neophyte. I was referencing an obsolete saying that incorrectly considers children as inferior to adults, reworded to refer to the age of my identity as a user of this site, and used it as an alternative to mentioning my reluctance to jump in without a thorough understanding of this situation. Rereading my passage, I can see how it came off wrong. Don't be afraid to yell at me when I say something wrong.

Or are you referring to the fact that I posted a link to a writing guide in the first place? I just noticed a short comment on the previous page about punctuation used with quotations, and posted the resource so others may use it.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:09 am

carlsojos wrote:My mind seems to have split between the two interpretations I gleaned from your response, so I will simply respond to both implied meanings.

That website is simply a reference guide, which works best when you are not sure of something in particular, so it's simpler than it looks at first.

My other interpretation suggests that you were actually referring to my comment about myself as a neophyte. I was referencing an obsolete saying that incorrectly considers children as inferior to adults, reworded to refer to the age of my identity as a user of this site, and used it as an alternative to mentioning my reluctance to jump in without a thorough understanding of this situation. Rereading my passage, I can see how it came off wrong. Don't be afraid to yell at me when I say something wrong.

Or are you referring to the fact that I posted a link to a writing guide in the first place? I just noticed a short comment on the previous page about punctuation used with quotations, and posted the resource so others may use it.

I was talking about you as a "newbie" here. Being newer or older in a forum amounts to nothing, I believe. That resource can be helpful to people who don't feel confident in their grammar, and who would find such a thing useful, like my case.

Should you have a comment or contribution about something, do what everyone else does and voice your opinion without fear. The only thing that reflects a "rank" in here is that little thing to the left, above the avatar. And that is regarded more as a pretty decoration than a status symbol.

This board is a nice place to discuss things because of that.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby carlsojos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:21 am

I'll keep that in mind. My eccentric outlook simply leaves me misinterpreting the mundane, and I'm simply cautious on what I say because I can be. I will take extra care to hold a positive outlook when I announce what I'm currently working on, since I'm normally disdainful of my work. I'm still waiting for a reply from fanfiction.net on something, but with this place setting up a fiction section, I might just submit it here instead. Once I've completed writing and passed it through 2 different editors' hands. I'll expunge my inappropriate comment from my link post.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Just in case anyone missed the notice in the Site Updates thread...

A day late, but it's here. The Fan Fiction section! Be sure to read the first part of WING-0's story!
BenoitRen

Postby Tanith » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:19 am

BenoitRen wrote:Be sure to read the first part of WING-0's story!

Seconding this. I just read it again and it's absolutely hilarious. WING-0, you should be working with Matt Groening!
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 am

I doubt he'd hire me...

The Simpsons are now a kids' show. When I was little, I loved the series because it was about something... Now, it's just a mild gag show.

I'm glad you liked my little story. I'll be sure to continue writing as soon as I get out of this ugly semester. It'll be a good catharsis.

So far I have Phantasy Star: OFF-line (yes, I meant to write it like that) in the works, along an unrelated fanfic and another OLD pet project of mine that has lingered and evolved inside my brain for... THIRTEEN YEARS!! HOLY CRAP!! THAT LONG!?

The only good part is that since I'm finally mustering a bit of courage to actually write (in English, to make matters worse) and show it, that old story is now going to come out of my skull sooner than later.

And here are some thanks:

First off, to Tanith. Why? For starters, because she encouraged me to write, which is difficult for me to do because, being myself, I am very critical AND insecure of my own work. Once done with that, for being my first proofreader. For that, I'm very, very, VERY grateful.

Next, Benoit, who is my second proofreader and a rather patient fellow who, despite my weird humor, actually uploaded a writing with such a monstrous example of coarse language.

And finally, to anyone who reads it and doesn't imitate a certain HUcast... You know you'll get your asses handed over to yourselves if you do. =P
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Tanith » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 am

I HAVE SEEN THE PEN... *feels someone kicking her ass*

Hey...

;)

Anyway, you're most welcome, Voivode of Wallachia. So sorry I'm falling behind on my promise to read your other fic. I will get to it, I promise, and sooner rather than later.

Hey, did anyone else see that mammoth PSIII fic at ff.net? Anyone read it yet? Just wondering if it's good, since it's almost novel length.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Black Sword » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm

You mean the novelization of PSIII one? The moment I saw it was Rhys-Ayn and likely to be Sean, I didn't. My antipathy toward that storyline is well-known.
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Tanith » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Yes, that would be a problem for me, too. I don't hate Sean's ending, but I'm soooooo tired of it.
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks, Benoit and Missagh, the site looks good! Hopefully I'll have another submission by the end of next week or so, but I *gasp* actually have work at the end of this week! Maybe I'll bring my notebook to jot things down during my prep periods.

WING-0, I can't wait for the next installment of your story, I was laughing the whole time!

I saw that fanfic and was curious, but haven't opened it up yet. Maybe I'll try to tackle it sometime next week, or else I'll have to save it for the Christmas break (because I am not yet sick of Sean's ending :P ).
augmentedfourth
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:13 pm

The Fan Fiction section is currently dominated by Black Sword. Any authors willing to challenge him? :)
BenoitRen

Postby Black Sword » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Bring it. 8)
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff