PSBattle w/ images update

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: PSBattle w/ images update

Postby spookeydonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:10 am

4shared is awesome, no excuse not to have an account lol.

anyway
http://uploading.com/files/get/fab3f96e/ps3battle.rar Copy
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:16 am

When I run it it crashes with a .NET Runtime exception. Firing the debugger reveals that it can't find wren.xml in some temporary directory.

For some reason there's a second application file inside the application files folder. But the application can't be started from there.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:11 am

i don't get it everything should be packaged correctly as I did it via Visual Studio. Maybe I should get a different installer software.

I installed the program and you're right it does crash on start. I made another .rar file with the files that are necessary to have the program start. Its actually a slightly newer build than in the above release I think. I've uploaded it to my Skydrive, I think you can access it without a login right?

http://sdrv.ms/TDSudL
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm

I was logged in to my Hotmail account and it wanted me to provide more information. I clicked "I accept" and I could download the file fine even though I didn't give them more information.

The game runs!

Is it normal that when you attack (or press the down arrow key) the game switches from the Army Eye to that floating robot enemy from PSIV?
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 am

yes I was trying to fix the way that the images for enemies show up. my program is very sloppy and once I get something to work I usually move on without trying to optimize, cuz really this is never going to be a game to tax anybody's hardware. i do weird things in my code to test things, including a LOT of usually useless debugging info such as displaying what's stored in various variables all over the screen lol

I feel a lot better now and actually I am gonna continue working on this program after this post. I want to implement stats, level up, and maybe a store to buy items. then, i add more enemies. after that i add sound effects and music :)

i figure once i have those things, i can try to "market" my release and more people should hopefully play it.

While it does seem boring that there's nothing to do but battle after battle (cuz no overworld), I will probably eventually add an option after each battle to decide if you want to fight the next boss. I guess the point could be to level up, save money, buy stuff, then go battle a boss until you reach the final bosses. That's all for later tho, I wanna focus on getting the battle system as close to the original in timing as possible.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 am

btw if you want to see something REALLY strange just keep holding down A for a minute or two. the program cycles thru enemies when the previous one dies. after a while all the graphics dissappear. Keep holding A. then you'll see what i was trying to fix as the graphics code for locating sprites in the spritesheets go nuts and starts showing wrong stuff lol
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am

I'm having the silliest little problem. The enemy doesn't want to wait until I finish attacking before beginning his attack. This will cause issues with sound effects so I'm trying to solve this before moving on. While I figure it out I'm gonna work on other stuff, such as adding a store and equapable equipment.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 am

for anyone waiting on an update i'm on "hiatus" currently as I'm thinking up ways to stop all the animations from happening at the same time lol.

i should hopefully get around to programming again but im too busy playin w my new Nexus 7 :)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 am

I've started porting the game to Android.I don't know if I'll stop the windows branch or not, depends on the demand once I get something more advanced released.

I may have solved my last problem (all the animations playing at once), however I haven't had time to try it out. I've been learning Android/Java the last two days and banging my head against a wall trying to port some of my code (XNA is sooo much better!)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 am

I've been on and off porting the project to Java. I'm still stuck on one piece of code that is somewhat complex and I don't know how to deal with it in Java. This is the code that runs the sprite animations, and I don't have another way around it (I looked).

I'm concentrating on learning XML and how to interact with it in Java starting from a very basic level and going to work my way up. Its just that I find it hard to maintain motivation to program. I hope I can solve the problem soon.

I'm not giving any release dates but I will say that as soon as I solve the animation problem, I'll be able to release a working demo that's exactly like the last one within an hour. That's how easy the rest of the code will be to port. For speed I may break the program up into two parts : PC has "adventure mode" and Android ill have pure battle mode (for grinding on the go). I have this idea from the Transfarring system that Hideo Kojima announced a while ago. Save data would be uploaded from you're phone, and downloaded automatically from the PC program.

For now though I just wanna get these dumb sprites moving on Android :I
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:23 pm

i bet u guys thought i gave up...and maybe you were right. i decided to stop developing my windows game because microsoft gave up supporting XNA. Also because who plays games on PCs these days? My game is more suited to the mobile platform really, something silly to waste time with.

I think I've proven myself by releasing early version of my game and now, don't get me wrong, but i feel very underwhelmed at the level of enthusiasm shown towards my project. instead i see ppl going gaga over dumb rpg maker games that look like complete crap.

now, enthusiasm wouldn't really solve my programming obstacles, and honestly i'm not making this program/game for any community much less this one. i'm doing it for myself and i'm more than sure i'll have less than 100 downloads anyway once it's "complete".

anyway, i decided to competely redo my graphics engine. since a) i'm not going to waste valuable time of my life ripping sprites from an old sega game and 2) 99% of ppl ripping sprites don't know how to properly do it so that they can be used....i'm redoing the sprites using a tool a found. i'm scaling back my program in a big way as honestly making a "tech demo" is just better for me at this point in life. i love phantasy star and its been a huge source of nostalgia for me, nut honestly i've started taking steps in my life to make my life more enjoyable and one of those steps is to not waste time on things that are old.

ive said it before and i'll stick to my word if anyone thinks they can do better or wants to continue the project on their own i'll release the source code and even comment it further so its understandable. i honestly think that if some of u guys that have a vision or something or are using rpg maker put about 5 hours into following a few simple c# tutorials then u can use my code to make ur vision come alive in a much better way than say rpgmaker. if i do make the android port (planning on starting work soon i just redownloaded the sdk actually) i'll keep it very simple and small and probably release the source to that as well cuz i dont believe in closed sourse anything lol

anyway i don't want to sound like i'm ranting its just i'm not good at expressing my thoughts in a few words and also this is going to be my last post in a long time if not ever because i'm re evealuating a lot of things and also like i said i don't get much support from these forums.

one last thing i wanna say that i intend on trying to make something phantasy star related in Unity.

i think the reason i keep coming back to this project is because i believe that the process is more important than the end goal. i'm having issues i need to deal with in my life and i have a hard time starting things or seeing them through and i have a bleak outlook on life in general because of my personal circumstances. i don't really have an outlet which is why i'm just kind of writing this down here. i've wasted literally years of my life not DOING and just WAITING. i'm really sick and tired of it. i want to create for the sake of DOING. PS brought a lot of joy into my life and who knows maybe in 20 years i'll look back and say the day i took back my life was the day i completed some project i spent literally 3 years thinking about and coding on and off.

well to whoever reads this thanks for reading and i hope that i don't face any more stupid problems. i'm honestly going to skip anything that proves to be a big problem. i hate programming and i don't wanna ever do it after i finish the one or two or three small projects i have in mind lol but i'm gonna finish this and if i can have just one person that enjoys my work thats more than enough.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:38 pm

in case anyone is still following I posted a silly little game for Android devices using the PS characters (you get to smash them!) in another topic.

I'm going to start porting all that I had probably within the next week. It will only be for Android devices however you can use an emulator to play it I guess if you have a fast enough device, though I wouldn't recommend it. Seeing as how my main problem last time was with the sprite code (and moster selection during battles for some reason), and how I'm abandoning the old sprite code, I don't see too many difficulties. Then again that's what I always say :p
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:32 am

update:

I'm about 75% done porting the old Rambo game (for MSX systems) to Android. All that's left is to implement the rather retarded enemy AI, which isn't gonna be hard at all. The tileset's finished, the collision detection is finished and working properly (almost perfectly, it's actually good enough that I can use it in upcoming projects :p ) and honestly not much left.

You may wonder why I'm talking about Rambo. Well, through this little project I've learned a lot about android programming, as well as animation, so I can power through my main project (Phantasy Star).

I may have mentioned it before but I used to get so mad whenever I read that someone was "re-making" a PS game using RPG Maker. Or "making a new one". Those games honestly sucked and never felt like PS games to me. The graphics weren't correct, or the interface was just so off...I could go on.

One day I found a fan game that put them ALL to shame. That would be the TG-16 port. I actually emailed the author a few times and decided to learn coding to try my hand at it. Unfortunately by the time I learned enough nobody was playing small indie games on the PC. I don't know about you, but I'm gonna play a nice 3D game with my $1000 machine, not a bullcrap PS clone. So, I decided to shift my focus to Android, but I had a lot of problems (at first).

Now, I'm so excited that I'm about to finish this project and start the new one!

p.s. I forgot to mention I actually started making a PS clone back in 2001, using some kind of BASIC derivative that compiled for PC and Mac systems using the same code.
p.s.s If anyone wants to actually play that Rambo game, I'll put up the Google Play link once I publish it. Hopefully I don't get sued over a 25 year old game!
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm here to say psbattle is officially dead. I've started \ ported all work to android and its better than ever. Stay tuned for a surprise that I hope u can all enjoy :)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

P.s if anyone is interested in my old source code for c# xna I will release it! Xna is dead but is still very well supported!
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff