PSBattle w/ images update

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

PSBattle w/ images update

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:05 am

UPDATE : 9/20/12

Ok, here is a verrrry early alpha build of the game as it stands. There is only one button: The "A" button "attacks". That's it.
The sprites usually come out correct but for some reason the parameters for different enemies are coming out according to the first enemy loaded. That should be fixed by tomorrow or later tonight.

You will first need to install the XNA 4.0 runtime file found here: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confir ... x?id=20914
It's about 7 megs.

Then my file can be found here (1Mb):
http://www.4shared.com/rar/9xEJD9J6/ps3 ... furl=d1url

Please let me know if it works on you're system.

NEW (as of 9/18/12)

After like a year or something of not wanting to work on this game, I decided to re-build a portion of it.
If the original idea's inspiration was from Shining Force III, then this one's is the rom hack Shining force II Milestone edition (perfect for playing on your phone on the go!)

This new program will attempt to be a battle simulator. Just battles, no overworld, no towns. This is because the animation code I used earlier would crash when i switched to battles

so, in an effort to actually release something close to my vision, my program will attempt to be battle after battle without ever leaving the battle screen. Accumilated meseta and experience will be saved and loaded upon program execution. I want to make a seperate shop program, but if I can I'll merge it into the main program.

I had the idea this morning, and after a few quick hours I got a basic battle going. I may throw in some music and release a version for people to try out. This time, I want to follow a release strategy completely opposite my last program: quick releases.

p.s. This game is being built using C# and XNA 4.0. I'll include a link for the redistributable with the first release.

********************************************************(old)UPDATE*********************************************************************

Ok, I've been really sick this weekend (caught a bug) and have some job-hunting stuff this week, so I'm extending my break at least a few more days. Here are the things I plan to accomplish for PSBattle before my next release:

- Incorporate the PSIII font, maybe other fonts as well
- At least 5 enemies (program currently has 2 enemies but doesn't know how to switch between them)
- Two techniques for Wren...
- Music and sound effects
- Working sprite collision for some of the world map/town map
- 1 town
- Proper battle system flow and more menus

*******************************************************UPDATE*********************************************************************

alright I promised myself to not talk about this game until it was done, and even then I wanted to remain anonymous when I released it, however, I just couldn't help myself

I'm currently working on a new "game". It's not exactly a real game...it's more like a what-if....

currently, I'm 90% done for my beta release.

I guess by now you're waiting to here what this "game' is about. Like I said, I wanted to keep it a surprise until I released it, but I should tell you what I intend to do.

My vision started out when I was wondering, "How would my party from PS3 do against the Profound Darkness in PS4?" Can you imagine what I'm trying to tell you
(EDIT: actually my real inspiration was from the Sega Saturn Shining Force 3 Premium Edition disc!)

Well, before I discuss my "game" further, let me tell you what my game is NOT!

- My game is NOT an RPG maker game!
- My game is NOT a time-consuming RPG (but it could become time consuming...if you get into it I guess)
- My game only uses original SEGA graphics...the game will be very faithful to the look of PS (I use sprites painstakingly ripped and enhanced when possible)

So, exactly how far along am I, and will this project ever materialize?

Currently the program (it's not really a game) has some basic menus and an overworld. there is NO collision detection yet, at all. currently towns are not implemented, however they were implemented in a much earlier version but taken out to hasten progress.

The battle system is implemented in a very basic way. I currently can make some choices, and only have to code in a few enemies for the beta release. Beta release will not have too many enemies, as I really just want to get this out there to see what people think.

Items are not implemented, but should be at a future date.

My game is coded from scratch using C# and Microsoft XNA...meaning you'll need the XNA 3.1 redistributable in order to run the program.

What features do I intend to include?

At the beginning, I was thinking to include a small "Story" scenario where you play a familiar scene from one of the PS games and then warp into another game. I have a complicated story scenario I wanted to achieve, but if I attempt it then I won't make a release until months from now, so I decided to keep it simple and do a quick release to assess interest.

For now, I want to include all or most of the characters from PS II, PS III, PS IV, and maybe PS Generations games artwork also. The battle system will be very basic, as only PS IV has a "complex" battle system however that would mean assigning attributes to PSII/III monsters arbitrarily...not something I wanna do. I may also include a save game reading feature in the future to load up an existing party and items/armor/weapons....don't count on it at least for the near future tho.

I will only include Sega artwork and music...I take no credit for any of that and should I be contacted by Sega and asked to Cease and Desist...I will comply immediately. This is one reason I wish to remain anonymous if possible. I will not include an e-mail and contact with me will only be made through message boards (or maybe anonymous email just for this program if necessary)

I guess you can use this "game" to create a dream party and level them up as you wish, in order to go on "Boss Rush" raids or something. It's really not that exciting of a "game", but at least it's not RPG maker!

I want to include a diverse selection of enemies taken from the games, please let me know your favorites!

Finally, I expect to release the beta next week (if not in a few days). Don't expect too much from it please...it's just a showcase and to prove that this project is real.

EDIT

Ok, I uploaded a build that didn't include the few features I wanted, due to obligations this morning. This build is intended to show off the game engine. Feel free to criticize, however I probably already am aware of stuff that's lacking. Yes, I am aware that Wren's walking animation is a bit jerky.

Before you download, please take a second to install the XNA 3.1 Redistributable package first (7.3mb) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... eb3e799ef2

And my program (1mb compressed, 47mb uncompressed):

http://uploading.com/files/2d234emf/PSBattle.rar/

Images Below :

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/ps3project ... 05004.jpg/

http://img218.imageshack.us/i/ps3projec ... 05010.jpg/

http://img4.imageshack.us/i/ps3project2 ... 05012.jpg/
Last edited by spookeydonkey on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: New game

Postby Missagh » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:06 pm

First of all, welcome to the boards! ;) 90% done for beta is awesome!

- My game does NOT use original graphics...the game will be very faithful to the look of PS (I use sprites painstakingly ripped and enhanced when possible)

Cannot wait to see this visually.

The battle system is implemented in a very basic way. I currently can make some choices, and only have to code in a few enemies for the beta release. Beta release will not have too many enemies, as I really just want to get this out there to see what people think.

Please appreciate that normally when fan game makers release their demos, everyone goes mental trying to input their own desires of what they want it to be. And in the end, you are left with pretty much everything is good, and everything is bad. So just let the feedback feed you slightly and choose the way that you want to make it essentially... or you will be left with a game that you do not want to make. I am sure however that your mindset it correct, considering your opening paragraph.

My game is coded from scratch using C# and Microsoft XNA...meaning you'll need the XNA 3.1 redistributable in order to run the program.

Im guessing that this means that it will not be playable on other OS, like OSX or Linux? Regardless, is there any way to add the XNA with the install of the application to ease up the setup process for the gamers? Some users seem to get scared by "extra steps" to run an app and choose not to.

At the beginning, I was thinking to include a small "Story" scenario where you play a familiar scene from one of the PS games and then warp into another game. I have a complicated story scenario I wanted to achieve, but if I attempt it then I won't make a release until months from now, so I decided to keep it simple and do a quick release to assess interest.

This "play a familiar scene from one of the PS games and then warp into another game" sounds like crazy ;) I like it. I would however encourage the idea to make a more deeper storyline in the future. I do not know enough to judge what it is currently, but to develop it further into a full intelligent storyline is a must unless the gameplay works without a plot.

I will only include Sega artwork and music...I take no credit for any of that and should I be contacted by Sega and asked to Cease and Desist...I will comply immediately. This is one reason I wish to remain anonymous if possible. I will not include an e-mail and contact with me will only be made through message boards (or maybe anonymous email just for this program if necessary)

Okay what Im going to tell you is based upon my personal experience with this site, working in the game industry and currently in the creative business. No one will come after you. The reason for it is because:
1) This game will not monetize and is not made to. If it would, then expect a call.
2) By making this game, you are promoting Sega more than not to. Its as simple as me drawing a Navi from Avatar and posting it online.
3) The classic Phantasy Star games are old and Sega isn't really making any money out of the boxes itself. They are relying on the brand, which is celebrated (and truly advertised) by you, me and all other PS fans... so to come after us is a big no-no.
4) Have a quick browse around PS Cave and you will notice a few flags, such as ROMs and other goodies. Sega is well aware of this. I have been contacted by them several times since 1999, and everytime it has been of a positive nature... such as "here is a free copy of PSU" or "Do you mind advertising this" etc. They could have at any point told me to remove whatever and that I am breaking a copyright of theirs, but they didnt because how would they benifit from it financially? Sure if I uploaded a copy of the next PSO game, that would be a problem because their sales would decrease. Soooooo basically what we are doing is only for their benefit. If you would be Sega, would you mind if spookeydonkey would spend massive amount of time to develop a PS oriented game that will further keep the interest of the now dying classic PS community OR would you chase after that dude that released an illegal copy of Sonic 4? :D

Anyway, all I'm saying is that make the game that you want to, if you feel that you want to add some music remix or fan art, then do so. I really hope that this project will have a final release eventually and not be cut like some other fan games. There are a few great fan game makers on this board that will hopefully share their thoughts.

How did I even end up typing all of this, im at work :S
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby spookeydonkey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:02 pm

thanks for your reply

i should have been more clear: i'll take suggestions on features to implement....but i won't necessarily add them. for now, my goal is to allow you to use most/all ps2/3/4 characters in a battle against enemies from the series. characters will hopefully advance in levels faithful to how they did so in the games...but that's not implemented yet of course, but it shouldn't be hard. we'll see how they do against monsters from other games of course.

if i do implement any kind of "story" scenario...it will be very short. once the goal is reached, i may or may not release the source code so maybe other people can add on to it. i really don't expect this to be too exciting of a "game"...but, i mean, if you're anything like me you HATE rpg makers games, so hopefully this will be a relief for some.

oh forgot to mention...users will have to download the XNA 3.1 from MS and install it on their own. I'm not sure if the installer would automatically install it for them but if it's missing. it's really not a big deal tho. oh and i will NEVER support OSX or linux. I'm anti Apple and anti Linux lol. users that run linux are probably smart enough to know about virtualization anyway..
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 pm

ok i have some great news. i'm 98% done with the beta....just having some "scope" problems with some of my classes. i'm also working on a surprise feature i haven't talked about yet (i think) that will be ready for the 2nd or 3rd release hopefully

stay tuned!~
Last edited by spookeydonkey on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr_Odin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:05 pm

All I will comment on is that this project is very cool! Just PLEASE aim to complete it. There have been tooooo many fangames with no ending that the community is losing hope for them!

I will follow this thread!
"Cannabis forgivness to the merciful mercy of Rune's Thrayness!" - Dr_Odin's preach in the shoutbox.
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 am

no, don't worry about that at all! one of the biggest reasons that i decided to talk about this game was because it would be relatively easy to complete my initial goals. literally the hardest thing i am foreseeing is doing the collision detections...but that's just cuz i haven't decided to seriously go after it yet (other then one time...a long time ago..and it worked somewhat).

i'm still having scope issues that are probably easy to solve once i figure them out...as SOON as I get them cleared up, i'll release the beta so you guys can check it out, and i'll be able to start putting more content in. so hopefully any day now haha

EDIT

I think I solved my issue with class scope. All that's left for the beta release is to implement in a few enemies and basic graphics, so don't expect too much WOW out of the beta release please. Hopefully I can get this thing released ASAP!
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am

So it's not a beta. It's an alpha. ;)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 pm

nobody uses the term "alpha" anymore...it's bad marketing practice
still, as of right now my program doesn't have too many bugs in it (i'm sure someone will find one) but it's not too functional anyway other than the basic battle system.

still...i'd rather get this out before i lose steam and work on it at a slower pace. that's why i'm only trying to include 5 enemies and right now i just have to rip some sprites. unfortunately the ones that are out there on the net aren't of the quality i need, and it takes a stupid amount of time for each frame to be cleaned up as I can't find a good enough emulator that has all the features i need to do it properly (frame by frame advance in emulation and layer removal while in game). I'm using Fusion which has frame-by-frame, as well as fraps for capture and GIMP for cleanup.

I should get a chance to get more work on this in the morning, now it's time to go out and have some fun

EDIT/UPDATE

Ok I got the sprites ripped for a few enemies. I realized too late that I won't be able to get decent enemies as the only game I have savegames/savestates for is PSIV, and there I'm up to Garubark Tower (sp?). Anyone ever wanna utterly destroy a Rappy with cross-cut before :D
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

Ok in the beta I was planning on at least one enemy having the correct animations coded (which is simple but takes trial and error lol). However I've been extremely busy this weekend, and the car I just bought ended up dying on me (returning it).

Therefore I intend to not break my word and get the preview/beta out with the 5 enemies as planned. Sometime within the next 12 hours I'll be posting a link. I haven't chosen where to host it but for now it'll probably be megaupload or something. So sorry about that :)
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Ok, I uploaded a build that didn't include the few features I wanted, due to obligations this morning. This build is intended to show off the game engine. Feel free to criticize, however I probably already am aware of stuff that's lacking. Yes, I am aware that Wren's walking animation is a bit jerky.

Before you download, please take a second to install the XNA 3.1 Redistributable package first (7.3mb) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... eb3e799ef2

And my program (1mb compressed, 47mb uncompressed):

http://uploading.com/files/2d234emf/PSBattle.rar/
Last edited by spookeydonkey on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:40 pm

I can't install the game. It always stops the installer with no specific reason given.
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:47 pm

what's your OS and do you have the .NET framework version 2. Even if you're running XP you should have it.
And where exactly does it stop?
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm running Windows XP, and I have both .NET 2.0 and XNA installed. It stops after checking the system requirements.
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 pm

that's weird i wonder if anyone else has that problem.
it's gotta be an issue with your setup cuz the installer is created straight from Visual Studio (2008). In any case in the morning I'll consider making a rar archive of the install. I may not however because I'm looking into a container format for all the different files. If you can try it on another PC, you can see all the "game" has to offer at this point in literally 30 seconds, maybe 3 minutes if you feel like walking around the entire overworld map.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Same problem for me. I installed the XNA package and then hit the setup.exe but it crashed. Tried again with the same result. I am running Vista. Considering that both of us had this issue, it must be the installer?
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Next

Return to Fan stuff