PSBattle w/ images update

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: PSBattle w/ images update

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 pm

My psBattle port to Android was going well, and progress was fast. I ported everything that was in the XNA version (including things that weren't accessible in the view of the game, but were *there* such as character classes etc) but ran into huge problems with tile generation and subsequently collision detection. So, I quit programming for a long time. I've decided to restart development but throwing away all non-battle sections, so I can cheat and not deal with collision detection.

The new goal of the project: just be a timewaster. Have a shop so you can outfit, include a lot of weapons, hopefully a bunch of enemy types and most importantly a few bosses from the games. I want to get away from LibGDX as it's kindof a headache. I want to move on to pure Android programming, which is a lot more fun.

I'm gonna stop being a perfectionist, as LibGDX is a headache. I'll release .apks, but I'm targeting the HTC One and/or Nexus 7 (2012) in terms of resolution. This may or may not look correct on your phone, and I'm not interested in fixing at all. If anyone wants to test an old version to see how it will look on their phones: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncj8s2ariwr39 ... d.apk?dl=0
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: PSBattle w/ images update

Postby spookeydonkey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 pm

I got back into my program, and got to the point where I have a working battle simulator, characters etc....towns I'm not doing anymore, unless I decide to play around with writing a scenario (I have a cool one in mind, but I don't know if it be worth it if I have to use existing artwork).

I don't think my "game" is all that fun now that I finally got it working as I want it to. All you do is click...click...click. You save meseta, earn XP, level up, and every once in a while face a boss. I haven't bothered to put in more than Wren currently, and all the techniques etc. use the PS3 attack graphic cuz I can't be bothered to actually add in the real animations.

I started working on the mother of all battles though, but I stopped as I don't think anyone will really appreciate it and it's a LOT of work! Basically, imagine this: you've got a cube in the middle of the battle screen, and on each face of the cube (other than the top and bottom) there's a different form of Dark Force. DF from PS2, from PS3, and from PS4.

Now, surrounding the DF cube on each side are 4 characters from the PS games. The sprites are rendered onto 2d square polygons, and when they attack they move in 3d space towards the central cube and the attack animation plays (can be smooth, didn't polish it enough to get it that way). Also, when Wren or Demi attack or fire rockets, a 3d model is spawned from their polygon and zooms in 3d space towards the cube.

I didn't add any game logic to it, but that would be kinda trivial. I had a plan on having the camera rotate 90 degrees after each round so that you could control the other characters, or maybe set them on some kind of auto mode, but then you wouldn't be able to see them fight anyway (not that well) and besides adding special effects for say magic (even if just healing etc) is a big ass pain.

I may write a short short scenario but without feedback, I'm not gonna continue this program anymore. I've dumped hours of my life into this project over 5 years, and people with crappy Game Maker projects get a lot more support than I ever did. So, I kind of don't see the point of releasing any more demos as the last few barely got downloaded, but when I see lame ass game maker topics those guys get a LOT more downloads.

So, if anyone has a cool idea they'd want to collaborate with me on, shoot me a PM. If you're working on a PS game and want to ditch Game Maker, I'd be happy to help. We can finally have a real PS style game now, and on Android no less. If sprite makers want to implement their sprites, I can do that too. Anyway, this will be the last update to PSBattle. I don't plan on visiting this forum too much more. I may lurk and contact individuals that I would collaborate with, but I'm not not releasing, not even the source code. The only thing I'll do is help someone get setup so they can make their own game similar to Phantasy Star on Android. I AM willing to release my old C# + XNA code. I managed to find a backup of that and would be willing to post it. XNA is much easier than Android programming, and using the code you can see how to do Animations and load graphics, and I think enter random battles.
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Previous

Return to Fan stuff