Some of my artwork

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Some of my artwork

Postby Xander » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Since a few have suggested I do so, here's some of my PS related artwork.

Now I'm not really looking for feedback on these ones. They're all quite old, except for the Rika headshot which was done just to pass the time and try a couple of things out.
I do have plenty more, but for the past few months I've been digging into original character artwork most of the time.
Also bear in mind I've been at this about 10 months now, so don't expect top of the line stuff either. Not yet.

First up is some Chaz artwork. I should also mentioned that while all this is CG here, I originally drew this and the next 3 out and coloured with pencils. I've scanned my lineart since the beginning for the day I went to CG colouring. But I shall spare you the penciled stuff.

Image]
This one was my 5th drawing. The lineart anyway.

Yes, more RIka art. I was on a kick.

And stuff...
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: Some of my artwork

Postby BenoitRen » Tue May 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Quite old? You had a good grasp back then already, in my opinion! I like them, except for one aspect in a couple that bothers me. Like Chaz' front foot being a bit too small and Rika's eyes being positioned weird in the second picture.

Let me know if you want anything added to the site.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Xander » Tue May 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Ah yes, the foot... Now I remember. I'd run out of space to fit it all on the paper. Amateur mistake I think. I do try to make sure I get the sizes worked out right these days.

The eyes on the Rika one are were probably due to it being done on half a sheet of A4, so pretty small. I also drew it with B pencils and I was going off a pretty odd picture for reference. Plus I think it took me...5 hours to draw? 0_o I'm very slow.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Xander » Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Ok, since i have little fanart to upload, most of which isn't great, i'll upload some art for one of my OCs. Especially since A4 has brought it up a few times already. ^^
Now I know the head is a little long, I'm aware of it and it's been fixed in my current WIP, so no need to point it out. Also, this is the last one I completed, just FYI.

Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Sat May 21, 2011 7:14 am

I've always been a fan and supporter of your artwork, Xan! I can go over the other pieces at a later time (though I think I've mentioned my thoughts about the others to you before), but for now I wanna critique the latest one you've shared. =)

The coloring/shading is very good. The clouds look kinda disoriented rather than natural, but it could be the angling done. The mountains have the same effect, too, only they don't look natural. Still, I appreciate the attention given to the background, as many don't have backgrounds at all (personally I hate drawing 'em, haha).

The face is very long and it looks masculine to me. If it was shorter and had softer angles on the chin, it would appear more feminine. The eyes do look very female, and the hair is pretty (great shading, too~). Her neck is also on the thick-side. Hands are a little small, but I think you're really improving with them!

The robe is greatly detailed, which I like, and I love the attention put into it. I think one of my favorite parts of this piece is the staff she's holding -- it looks really good! ^_^ At a second glance, she reminds me vaguely of Alis because of the headband, and even if this was the intent, it's not a bad thing. =)

Overall, nice job!
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Xander » Sat May 21, 2011 10:06 am

I didn't know you were a fan/supporter of my doodles Dreamer. :D

There's really no point in going over the older ones posted above, mainly because they're so old. The Chaz artwork was actually done all on one layer, before I realised what those were for. ^^

As for the latest, the head is the one thing that everybody points out, so I'm well aware of it by now. But I think I've fixed that for the latest one. It's the way I draw them out.
The background was a bit slapdash I admit. I couldn't seem to find any tutorials for stuff like clouds that weren't too detailed for what I was going for. The mountains were added later when I decided I wanted my character to at least appear they were standing on solid ground. I also didn't want to simply slap a photo in either. Done it before and it looks horrible. ><

Oh yeah. The headband was added as a suggestion from someone else. It's a nice little extra touch. The resemblance to Alis is completely unintentional though.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Sun May 22, 2011 2:15 am

You knew me at Fringes as Tsunami. =p At least, I hope you remembered! :D
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Xander » Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 am

Ah yes. That I do. I was beginning to wonder where you'd vanished to. :D
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Nice art indeed. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Xander » Sun May 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Hot of the presses is some new artwork I've been working on these past...3 (?) days. This one is for A4/Jen.She's another player character in eota, which for those who are unsure, is the same world Claire is from, just FYI.

Also, this is my first true attempt at drawing with perspective, 3/4 view in this case, so apologies if it's a bit ugly, but a lot of it was very experimental.

Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 am

I really like this one! The hair looks VERY good (your attention to detail here is superb!), I just love how her braid looks, too. Again, the hand's on the small side, but the fingers are improved. My problem with this is, it's like her head/torso are proportionate, but the rest isn't. Her neck's kinda thick and her arms are too short. Her left arm which is bent looks lumpy, but that could be because of the jacket.

So Xander, when you gonna tackle PSI or PSII? :D
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Xander » Mon May 23, 2011 1:10 pm

By PS I and PS II, I assume you mean artwork? I've done some for those already, some quite recently too, but they're not so great. I suppose I could do some later.

I noticed the neck issue just after I'd finished it as well. Bit annoying, but I think I know why the neck might be as off as it is, so hopefully I remember for next time. :P
The arm is my bad too. I was trying to draw creases into the sleeves, hence why it looks lumpy. I'll be keeping it a bit simpler next time for sure. ^^ And I see why the arm's too short. The upper arm shouldn't be so steeply angled.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Xander » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

More new stuff. While I was originally redoing the Catalina artwork, that never went so well, so I wound up doing this, hence the delay. ^^

Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr_Odin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Boobies. Cool art Xander!
"Cannabis forgivness to the merciful mercy of Rune's Thrayness!" - Dr_Odin's preach in the shoutbox.
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Xander » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 am

Heh. Well whatever works Dr_O. :P But don't expect much like this again. So much damn skin can be a pain to shade properly. ><
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Fan stuff