Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Tryphon » Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Sorry, I don't understand everything (english is not my native language)

Kyence wrote:In my case, ive been translating and avoiding words and phrases with those letters which can be annoying. I don' t use any of the hiragana . If you put a letter in its place, I can easily change the code key to an english one in the slpm.

I don't understand. Do you want I replace some hiraganas with missing latin characters ? If so, didn't you say in an earlier post that the spaces between lowercases in this font were too wide ? Do you prefer looking for an other monospaced font ?

I don't know anything about the slpm. This file is a complete mistery for me.

I only need the first layer that has the alphabet on it. It would be simpler to work editing.The format header of sggg and such needs to be
Preserved after editing so it can be placed back into the iso. With the one set of characters the decompressed fike
Will be easy to insert without needing to make additional room for it.
If you have the raw data for that layer and the black, I can easily check out the code header. Or, you can paste the header or hex screenshot here.

I can make a script so that, if you give it four 512x512 sheets with 4 gray levels characters, it will create a decompressed DAT file similar (same size, same header) to the original (if I understood correctly how it works, which seems to be the case since I decompressed all the images in the DAT files with results identical to those of gazetadealgol).

Would it be useful ?

I think I can generate a sheet from a TTF font (monospaced), which could save even more time (and permit several tries)

A thing I need to know is if you require the latin characters available in the original font to stay at the same location.

If necessary, I can look into the "descompressador" code and make a "compressador", but I don't know if it's really needed.

Sorry if I make you repeat what you already wrote. Once again, my english is limited
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri May 04, 2012 3:34 am

I have learned that there is whitespace between characters that must be adjusted somewhere in the SLPM file. OrakioRob and his friends found a value that changes the dialogue spacing in the game,so the default letters look much better. However, they haven't found a way to do the same to item and spell names. I've been looking, but have not found it yet.

That script would be great! I actually would only need the black 512x512 and the level with the latin characters:)
I would like the characters in the original font to stay in the same location.

In PSG1, the Map.Dat has more Latin characters than PSG2; if you need that Map.DAT file, I can give that to you. It is the first image in the game, at 800h. That way, only a j,q,w,x, apostrophe and quotes need to be inserted. This could also be "transplanted" into PSG2 and replace those letters.PS2's SLPM file would need to be adjusted, but I am comfortable doing that :)

I don't think a "compressador" is needed; I have already inserted decompressed data into the game. Once I figured out how to adjust certain values, it works 100% in an emulator.

I think you write English very well! This is very technical information that can get confusing no matter what.

You can definitely try the TTF font. If possible, I would like one with characters close to the size of the ones in the game.
Good luck! I really appreciate you looking into this. We are all making great progress that can be used on both PSG games.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 am

Kyence wrote:Good luck! I really appreciate you looking into this. We are all making great progress that can be used on both PSG games.

You can say that again! I'm very happy of being capable of following your progresses, despite not being capable of doing much to help...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 10:46 am

Characters sheets from PSG1 are indeed a little different. Here are the three non blank sheets. You can already download them and modify them, I'm working on the tool that will build the uncompressed DAT file back (I think it'll done before tomorrow, according to the free time I can get).

Sheet 1 (bits 0 & 1) (the one you want) :

psg1-plane0.png
psg1-plane0.png (61.53 KiB) Viewed 17632 times

Sheet 2 (bits 2 & 3)

psg1-plane1.png
psg1-plane1.png (75.87 KiB) Viewed 17632 times

Sheet 3 (bits 4 & 5)

psg1-plane2.png
psg1-plane2.png (30.96 KiB) Viewed 17632 times

If we can adjust the space between letters, it means that we can let the characters be as big as possible in the 20x20 matrix. But I'd be surprised if we can use variable-width letters.

Thanks for compliments about my english Unfortunately, I can understand english, I can understand technical discussions, but I can't uderstand technical english discussions

I'm glad the "compressador" need not be used, it would have been a little uncomfortable to figure out a quite technical C program, commented in Portuguese.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 1:49 pm

I wrote a first version of the "reassembler" tool. It's slow but gave a DAT file identical to the original (from the sheets I posted above). I will try to modify the first sheet (broadly first) and upload the file generated, so you can try to insert it in the ISO and tell me if the modifications appear in the game.

Then I'll try to make my tool quite easily usable, upload it, optimize it, and add the ability to generate planes from a Truetype file.

Will be back in about 8 hours...
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 2:01 pm

You guys are now going for such technical talks that I don't get a bit of what you're saying...
But as long as it's going smooth, it's OK, no need to mind me, just keeping my eyes on the topic.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Here's the sheet I prepared (just flipped some letters) :

psg1-plane0.png
psg1-plane0.png (75.11 KiB) Viewed 17625 times

And the DAT file (rename it as DAT, it is NOT a zip file, but the forum doesn't allow DAT).

FONT.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 744 times

Kyence, could you please try using it in the game and tell if it works ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 pm

You did it! I changed the compressed size and behold!

So, your script works perfectly!

How would you like to proceed? Would you like to place the missing letters in there? Or use another font?
As long as the new letters are in the same spots without going over, whatever you do should be fine!
This is so f'n cool,there are no words that can encompass my joy.
Attachments
works.JPG
works.JPG (61.99 KiB) Viewed 17615 times
Last edited by Kyence on Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Sorry for asking but what did you guys properly accomplish?
Could you please explain it to me, if possible?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri May 04, 2012 8:38 pm

We can edit the font page,adding any missing letters, or putting an extended alphabet for languages that need it into this game, and PSG2, too!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 8:43 pm

That's great! Now the translation can go smoother, without the need of changing phrases because of the missing letters!
And the font width? Still not capable of changing it yet?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Kyence wrote:You did it! I changed the compressed size and behold!

So, your script works perfectly!

Great ! I was a little nervous

How would you like to proceed? Would you like to place the missing letters in there? Or use another font?
As long as the new letters are in the same spots without going over, whatever you do should be fine!
This is so f'n cool,there are no words that can encompass my joy.

I suppose I'll first draw the few missing characters, so the work of translation will be easier.

Then, I'll make a tool for replacing with any font, but as I'm not sure the result will be nice (I use pygame, that uses itself SDL, and I had deceiptful results in rendering TTF font at small sizes - smaller than 20 pixels though - with it).

xrick wrote:That's great! Now the translation can go smoother, without the need of changing phrases because of the missing letters!
And the font width? Still not capable of changing it yet?

i doubt it is easy. The game was designed for asian characters set, and they are all fixed width. I think you must change the text drawing routines to achieve that, and that's another level (above mine).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Tryphon wrote:I doubt it is easy. The game was designed for asian characters set, and they are all fixed width. I think you must change the text drawing routines to achieve that, and that's another level (above mine).

Damn! That could become the Holy Grail of this (and the brazilian) translantion...
But I think I read somewhere Orakio stating that they had already tried changing the width, causing a bit of chaos, and that they'd tried it again later on...

Also, it seems there's also people asking at the SEGA Blog about PSG:1&2, mostly directed at Edward@Sega, who seems to love the series as well.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm not so sure that having variable width characters is a must. For example, almost all of 8-16 bits games (including the whole PS saga) had fixed width characters and we didn't complain.

What seems to be a (little) problem here is that I'm pretty sure the latin characters come from Arial Bold (or some little brother), and this font is not designed for fixed width. Hence the weird spacings.

But I have good hopes that changing all the characters for those in a well designed monospaced font should give pleasant results.

@ Kyence :

I have completed the lowercases. It seems a comma is needed. Where do I put it ? Do you need others characters (maybe semicolon ; ) ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Tryphon wrote:I'm not so sure that having variable width characters is a must. For example, almost all of 8-16 bits games (including the whole PS saga) had fixed width characters and we didn't complain.

What seems to be a (little) problem here is that I'm pretty sure the latin characters come from Arial Bold (or some little brother), and this font is not designed for fixed width. Hence the weird spacings.

But I have good hopes that changing all the characters for those in a well designed monospaced font should give pleasant results.

It's just that SMS Power! managed to change the width, and I know it's ways different with this one, but I thought it was possible, I don't know.
Also, I only played the Classics from the time of the Generations onwards, hence I already started having complaints about the font width, I played PS1 with the SMS Power! version, since they had even managed to have two lines for an item, if needed...

Don't take me wrong, I'm just trying to bring up possibilities, you guys are the ones trying your best... Excuse me for any non-intended rudeness...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff