Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Kyence » Sun May 27, 2012 1:40 am

Hello, everyone! Sorry, it's been a while. Quite a few things have kept me busy.

Currently, I am almost done translating Loar. I would say I'm about 30-35% done encoding the events into English. Everything else in the game is translated at this point in time:)

In RL, I got engaged! My boyfriend of almost 4 years proposed to me a couple of weeks ago. We are enjoying the moment, so there are no wedding plans to get in the way of this project yet :lol:

Tryphon, I would be happy to give you the English text to this when I'm finished. I'm kinda making small changes as I go along, so that's the best way I can think of giving it to you.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 am

Congratulations on your engagement (a bit late though), hope everything goes well between both of you.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon May 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Congratulations for your engagement !

And I can tell you that babies are great (I've a 20 monthes old little boy, and hearing him calling for me every morning make my days happier than they ever were - even if sometimes it's a little early :) )

Thanks in advance for the script too. And don't hesitate to ask if I can make something to help you !
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:23 am

Seriously, I'd like to have hope that on E3 SEGA will announce for Digital Store, alongside possibly Sonic Adventure 2 & Battle, the SEGA AGES 2500 series.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby The PS Logo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:10 am

Hi Kyence and the PSG translation team! Congrats to you Kyence and hope the team is still doing well!

Even though I am no programmer/coder, I would like to throw in my 25 cents. :dance:

I noticed that the character set appeared to be in tiles 20x20 pixels big. I did an edit to show the 20x20 tiles. It worked better than I thought
Now, the translation team already knows about all this, but it gives everyone else a glimpse as to how flush the letters would be next to each other. Also if you look closely at the letters the team added in, you'll see an extra color in the pixels that smooth the text edges, which eat up precious memory

However, if the team can actually implement variable-width for the text, adding in long names would no longer be a problem.
Let's take a look at Example A:
This shows the 6-letter versions of 2 character names: "Tyrone" for Odin, and "Alyssa" for Alis. As you can see, with a 2-pixel space between letters the full name can appear in the 4-tile limit with space to spare. The top "Alyssa" is centered, while the bottom "Alyssa" Is left-guided, with the capital A the same exact position as the capital A tile in the map.

What about item names, with a 9-tile limit? Onto example B:
This shows the two longest item names I could find in the PSG1 item list, with a 2 pixel space between each letter and the captial letters starting at the same point as the original tiles; as you can see, while the ultimate sword in the game has plenty of room to spare for spacing, the key name just barely makes it in, and the key name is the longest item name in the game that I know of.
Maybe it can be spaced closer together. Well, let's look at example C:
Here, the only change from example B is that the letters are spaced 1 pixel away from each other. The capital letters from the key name did not change positions from example B either, but it looks much better simply because of the spacing

These are all reasons as to why we all should root for variable-width in the game. However, the size of the spacing should be considered well before it is implemented, as Example D will illustrate:
Both the small n and the small r have a 1 pixel space between them and the small a. Looking at it, it would seem that the a is too far away from the r, and someone might try to move it closer.
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 am

Excuse me for bothering on your great work but instead of "ALYSSA" & "TYRONE" could you make it "ALISA" & "TYLON"?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re:

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:22 pm

The PS Logo wrote:"Alyssa"

*builds up rage*
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby carlsojos » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:23 pm

xrick wrote:Excuse me for bothering on your great work but instead of "ALYSSA" & "TYRONE" could you make it "ALISA" & "TYLON"?

The image above was only to demonstrate that *if* they can figure out how to incorporate a variable-width font, they'll be able to use the full names without disrupting space issues. You could probably try this yourself in Paint and experiment if you were curious on whether a specific spelling would fit in the same space.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm

We can't use a variable width font, because the text rendering routines in the game don't allow this (or if it does, we don't know how to tell it)

Unless you're able to locate the routines, disassemble them to understand how they work, and maybe recode them so as to permit variable width, there's no hope. I'm personnally totally unable to do that, unless you pay me for that so I can stop my job I think very few people have skills and time for such a work.

We may find some tricks, though...

Please remark that all original episodes were monospaced and nobody complained.

I don't understand your remark on extra color. We didn't add any color (characters have 4 colours) and it doesn't eat space (this particular sheet is coded with 4 colors anyway).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby TigerNightmare » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:27 am

I know jack squat about this stuff, but would it be possible to replace the Japanese characters with new letter combinations taking up the same amount of space? Like, instead of, uh, one of the kanji/katakana/whatever, you can replace it with a customized image of the letters Aly and replace another Japanese character with ssa.
TigerNightmare
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:48 am

We tried this trick (look some pages in this thread ago), and it doesn't work. Kyence didn't post a picture, but I suspect some extra space is added, and we don't know how to remove it.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Unfortunately, we cannot find a way to feature variable-width parts. You can put longer names in, but they will be obscured and screw up the graphics layout. In order to accommodate larger names at this point, someone would have to adjust the placement of every graphic in every menu. That's an advanced project for someone with a lot more experience than I.

A quick update: I am more than 50% complete with the game dialogue. I just completed the longest part: the Consult/Say conversations. They were stored in succession in a single event file. The Japanese was enough to fill 14 pages! Yup, that's a lot to encode, but I did it!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Great! Congratulations! Keep it up!
If there's anything I may be capable of do to help, just name it.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xenowildfire » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you for doing the Translation on this game!!!
xenowildfire
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Kyence » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:20 pm

I am 98% complete with the game. The only thing that's left is the very last part of the game's dialogue; I have to play it through in order to see how it's laid out. The Dezorians were fun to translate: Motavians do not have an accent in the game, but there are 2 accents for the Dezorians. Now, SoA did a weird version of only one-there's a retranslation that suggests they sound more like American Rednecks. I did not want to go either route, so I made my own. They will come across as having bits of a Long Island accent (I am a New Yawker :twisted: ),plus some other random ways of pronouncing certain word/phrases. That way, it kinda channels Raja in that they have a weird sense of humor, but they aren't Deliverence either. I hope people will get a kick out of it-it can always be changed. I wonder why the Japanese version didn't give the Motavians an accent - they must have better translators in Algol,hehe.

Once I have done a play-through,I will discuss with Missagh on how to let you guys download the English translation.

Once again,thank you for all of your support!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff