Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby xrick » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 am

Dear goodness, Kyence... You've set the precedence so we can only be thankful to you and the efforts you've put into this big project (counting PSg2 as well).
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby chi89333 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 am

Greetings Kyence

I will like to say a big thank you for your work in PSG1 and PSG2
. These two are my favourite games and i recall the days when i bought the sega cartridges for phantasy star 1 and 2 to play on the genesis. Really appreciate the team's work on these 2 games
chi89333
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:40 am

Currently trying to get ahold of Tryphon, but the current changes to v2.20 are as follows:

- Put a space between the year number and the year itself. (e.g. 146AW becomes 146 AW.)
- Spell names are now displayed in cyan the dialogue, to be consistent with tech names in PS generation:2.
- Last Photon's icon is changed from those used for healing items/magic to those used in the -fluid items, to be consistent with Nei's Final Force in PS generation:2.
- Changed Antiplano Plateau to Altiplano Plateau.
- Some typo fixes.
- Further grammar formatting to match PS Generation:2. ("okay" becomes "OK", item names are always capitalized if they're referenced in the dialogue)

Hoping to add this mysterious bug on real hardware to the list of fixes.

Here's the best image I could get of it--and the streamer angahito didn't appear to keep the Twitch VOD of it, sadly, unless I'm misunderstanding something--but it happens on real hardware when you end a battle, either by winning or fleeing. It's a pretty bad bug.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:40 am

It doesn't happen on PCSX2 ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 pm

As far as I know, this can happen on PCSX2, but only if you're in a vehicle and you run away from battle. It happens very rarely, so rarely that I thought it was a bug with the emulator.

Edit - http://www.twitch.tv/angahito/v/28601104 You can see the glitch around the 22:20 mark. Just found the VOD.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi.
Can someone quickly recap where are we with this translation project?
Can I run it in Linux natively (using emulator, like RetroArch), or do I need to use Wine or virtualization?
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Tryphon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:37 pm

SandyLandale wrote:As far as I know, this can happen on PCSX2, but only if you're in a vehicle and you run away from battle. It happens very rarely, so rarely that I thought it was a bug with the emulator.

Edit - http://www.twitch.tv/angahito/v/28601104 You can see the glitch around the 22:20 mark. Just found the VOD.

Thanks for the link.

I have no clue about what causes that, but I think I've already seen a post on this board (maybe this precise topic) reporting something similar on Kyence version. So it may be related with Kyence (or me) playing with pointers (she may have accidently put data in what she thought was empty space but which is in fact used by the game. It'd be similar to the Soundtrack bug if you remember).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:29 am

Zucca wrote:Hi.
Can I run it in Linux natively (using emulator, like RetroArch), or do I need to use Wine or virtualization?

Hi Zucca. v2.10 is out and it's perfectly playable on emulators for computers, but on real hardware, it craps itself with the bug I showed earlier. I don't know much about Linux or RetroArch, but if something can play PS2 games, it can probably play PS generation:1.

Tryphon wrote:Thanks for the link.

I have no clue about what causes that, but I think I've already seen a post on this board (maybe this precise topic) reporting something similar on Kyence version. So it may be related with Kyence (or me) playing with pointers (she may have accidently put data in what she thought was empty space but which is in fact used by the game. It'd be similar to the Soundtrack bug if you remember).

It's entirely possible. We do now have that Angahito fellow who is willing to test it on his modded PS2 and PS3--he's said as much to me--so we can probably get ready to finalize this. He's playing off of a USB drive of some sort, though I'm not sure if it's a flash drive or if it's an external hard drive. Either way, it needs to be fixed...
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:40 am

SandyLandale wrote:
Zucca wrote:Hi.

Hi Zucca. v2.10 is out and it's perfectly playable on emulators for computers, but on real hardware, it craps itself with the bug I showed earlier. I don't know much about Linux or RetroArch, but if something can play PS2 games, it can probably play PS generation:1.
Great. :text-woo:

I'll try to play it before X-Mas. \o
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Tryphon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:58 pm

SandyLandale wrote:
Tryphon wrote:Thanks for the link.

It's entirely possible. We do now have that Angahito fellow who is willing to test it on his modded PS2 and PS3--he's said as much to me--so we can probably get ready to finalize this. He's playing off of a USB drive of some sort, though I'm not sure if it's a flash drive or if it's an external hard drive. Either way, it needs to be fixed...

I just got an email from OrakioRob where he tells me he never encountered this bug despite playing heavily. Since his base version was the original japanese (whereas yours was Kyence's translation) it reinforces the assumption that it'd be some data moved where it shouldn't have been.

When I'll have time (this part of the year isn't the most appropriate), I'll check every pointers.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 pm

OK! Thank you so much, Tryphon. I guess the RHDN release will wait. In the meantime, please be patient, anyone who wants to play on a real console.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:10 am

Before I run into playing this... Do I need a game pad with analog sticks?
If yes, I need to tell Santa that I'm in need of one.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:03 am

You shouldn't! PS generation:1 is analog-compatible, but it's not at all necessary to use it. In fact, I feel like the characters move in a more stable way with just the D-pad...
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:09 am

SandyLandale wrote:You shouldn't! PS generation:1 is analog-compatible, but it's not at all necessary to use it. In fact, I feel like the characters move in a more stable way with just the D-pad...
Nice.
I just need to pick up the right emulator for the job, since I didn't find any cores for libretro that would run PS2 games.
:confusion-shrug:
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby teknopathetic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:49 pm

I just want to say, I'm really looking forward to playing this on a console! Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into Generation:1's stunning re-release!
teknopathetic
Pinchant
Pinchant

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff