Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Dr. Gonzo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm

xrick wrote:But it's strange that there's barely been any news for weeks...

We need to remember that this project is being completed solely during free time. I'm sure Kyence has a lot of other things going on so we need to be patient as well as grateful that we are getting the chance to see the completion of this project.

Missagh wrote:We should make a petition for Kyence to translate PSG2 once this one is done, I will try to hint it at every opportunity that I get

I am literally praying that Kyence gives PSG2 the same treatment. With PS4 holding up well to the tests of time, a PSG1 translation, and a PSG2 translation, I think fans of the original trilogy would have a lot to be happy about. Personally, I'd be content.
Dr. Gonzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Kyence » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:28 am

I never thought I'd say this, but, I have to tell you all something very important....
I finished it. That's right, the translation is complete! Two years of hard work, and I finished the game and I am happy about that. I made two versions: the Lutz edition uses Lutz as a name; the Noah edition uses Noah. All of the other information is the same. I made ZIP files that also contain some extra goodies, like information on hints, a quick FAQ, and charts on the Collab spells in Open Office and Excel formats with fun drop-down filters...so if you only want to see ones that Odin can use when he's equipped with a Gun, you select that filter and the list shows just the ones you need to see, making figuring out what to buy all the easier. My personal favorite is Banisher (called Last V/Banisher in Katakana, but didn't have room.)

Here is the link to the page http://www.kyence.net/PS1G1
Take your pick! Both files are 65MB a piece. You only need to download PCSX2 on your own.

Missagh, I know you want to host it as well. I have plenty of paid webspace I haven't used in a long time, so you can use this link on your site. If you want the files to make smaller patches, I can send them to you directly :D

Special Thanks go to Tryphon, Ignitz, RodolfoRG, and Orakio Rob for all of their help and inspiration. I also want to thank Missagh and all of the people on PSCave's forums and my Youtube page that have shown their support for this project.

Now, I know there's a pressing question looming...What about Generation: 2?

First, Gen:2 does automatically recognize the Clear Game Data from my translation; it stores it on the memory card separately from your PS1 save screen. Also, I took a look at the event file: there is only 30 event files of text in the game. However, there is lots of words in graphics for cutscenes and the battles/menus that require a more efficient method of editing them. I will need help with that. I know TheAlien was interested way back in working on Generation: 2. If anyone is doing so, I will defer to them and offer help when needed. But first, I need to take a few months off...I have lots of other games to play and RL stuff I have to do. Maybe after you play this you won't want me near G2 anyway :lol:

I do not plan to update these versions unless there is a massive bug impeding play; be gentle in your criticism, I am not a programmer and this is the first game mod I have ever done.

Thank you all so much. Now get playing!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr. Gonzo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
Dr. Gonzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:16 am

Congratulations Kyence, I download it immediately !

I'm interested in working on PSG2.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

EDIT1: Downloaded and tested! Didn't play much, as I had finished the game a couple months before, but it's looking great, you can feel proud, Kyence
Now... If it weren't for that issue with the font width, it might have been perfect, but oh well...

EDIT2: Played through the beginning of the story. It seems you made a few touches on the cutscene dialogue, Kyence.
Could you tell us why? Just curiosity...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:39 pm

xrick wrote:Awesome!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

EDIT2: Played through the beginning of the story. It seems you made a few touches on the cutscene dialogue, Kyence.
Could you tell us why? Just curiosity...

When I adjusted the dialogue font width, a lot of ellipses ran into the letters. I was also able to use the lowercase letters that Tryphon added. I also wanted to explain why the Guards took the body...they had a roundabout why of saying that in the Japanese.

One change I did from the Japanese dialogue was the cutscene where she's looking over a cliff...she keeps saying "Nero...I...protect me Nero!" which doesn't really fit the scene and kinda takes away from her character as she was presented in the original game...so I changed it where she swears to avenge his death and making Lassic pay. I think it fits much better. Besides, for most of the game, whenever Alis goes into her home, she "talks" to Nero throughout the game. A little creepy, but there it is.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

@Kyence Congratulations!!! Working on the dedicated page as we speak, will keep it simple, might be ready by tomorrow night! Will update then...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby rafael_esper » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:42 am

Congratulations, Kyence! Know that your efforts were not in vain. A lot of people will play it.

Do you have some kind of spreadsheet with a one-to-one translation (japanese to english)? Or at least a text document with all the game script? That would be very useful to us, PS remake developers.

Thanks very much!

Rafael, the Esper.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 am

Kyence wrote:One change I did from the Japanese dialogue was the cutscene where she's looking over a cliff...she keeps saying "Nero...I...protect me Nero!" which doesn't really fit the scene and kinda takes away from her character as she was presented in the original game...so I changed it where she swears to avenge his death and making Lassic pay. I think it fits much better.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't like it when translations change things. Sure, it's far from what Sega of America did, but still...

By the way, when I end up playing this, can Benoit's Typo Corner send you its findings? ;)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby xrick » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 am

BenoitRen wrote:
Kyence wrote:One change I did from the Japanese dialogue was the cutscene where she's looking over a cliff...she keeps saying "Nero...I...protect me Nero!" which doesn't really fit the scene and kinda takes away from her character as she was presented in the original game...so I changed it where she swears to avenge his death and making Lassic pay. I think it fits much better.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't like it when translations change things. Sure, it's far from what Sega of America did, but still...

By the way, when I end up playing this, can Benoit's Typo Corner send you its findings?

Excuse me... Can I ask you what is that corner of yours?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Oda » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am

Yes, it's out! Congrats for finishing it and thank you again for translating it! I hope to get some of my friends play it as well since this is such a great series. Thanks again ; v;
Help I have Phantasy Star'd and can't get up
Oda
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Kyence » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

BenoitRen wrote:

By the way, when I end up playing this, can Benoit's Typo Corner send you its findings?

You are entitled to your opinion; I know I'm not going to make everyone happy. This started out originally as a way for a couple of my close friends and I to play until one of them suggested I spread the word during developing the translation. But, I do believe that the Japanese script in that scene is probably more powerful in the Japanese culture. Part of a localization - which due to data constraints even with the decompression requires some choices- is to also adjust for the cultural nuances. This is the beginning of the game. If people get turned off by that one phrase in the thousands I translated, preserved, and encoded by hand, I won't be able to change that. One of the main reasons I left the event text decompressed (and will release the script I made in one form or another eventually), was so people could adjust it as they pleased, whether it's to make a parody or translate into another language minus the year it took me to figure out all of the offsets and data pointers.

I would be flattered if you played it, Benoit. I know you aren't a big fan of the Japanese remakes in the first place.

EDIT: As people play through, they may notice a lot of NPC's have musician names...this is what was in the Japanese version, not something I did.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Dr. Gonzo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm

@Kyence I've put about five hours into the game and, I must say, I couldn't be happier with the work you have done. I have had a big goofy smile plastered to my skull ever since I booted it up and I don't see it subsiding till weeks after I wrap up my first playthrough. Thank you again for all the work you did. This is going to make a lot of people very happy. I'll give my final thoughts when I finish the game.
Dr. Gonzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby rodrigo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:57 pm

great. thank you very much for this.
rodrigo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Missagh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Just a quick update. Done some planning with Benoit and we should have the page ready to go live this weekend. Target is Saturday night. We will start advertising the release like crazy from there! Kyence I will let you know if I have any questions during this process.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff