Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby xrick » Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Tryphon wrote:I don't know.

But :
* I'd be surprised it happens
* Even if it happens, I don't see why an english version would be wanted since the game would be the same (for example, there are tons of localized versions of Genesis games, but very few of GBA or Saturn remakes)

Sorry, I didn't quite get it...
It was related to my post, right?

And speaking of localized genesis games, I'm not sure if I mentioned it already but PS2/3/4 were released on Steam. Pretty neat, huh?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 am

@Tryphon We can try it out.
Courier New is not my favorite font, either. Out of the monospaced fonts, I like Lucida Console more.
This will be a fun experiment!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Mon May 07, 2012 5:56 am

Here's the courier font (rename as DAT) :

FONT-courrier-new.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

I'll generate a Lucida Console later in the day.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 pm

I think I have a way to help you with the translation, a way to contribute...
Have you already translated the enemies' names? If not, I could try...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks, xrick, but I already translated them in the game. I appreciate the offer though. Tryphon, I tried the font. It works for the most part. The m is cut off on the right even with the originak spacing.the font is a pale gray, so it is hard to see.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Kyence wrote:Thanks, xrick, but I already translated them in the game. I appreciate the offer though.

With the names of the game or the old american ones?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Kyence wrote:Thanks, xrick, but I already translated them in the game. I appreciate the offer though. Tryphon, I tried the font. It works for the most part. The m is cut off on the right even with the originak spacing.the font is a pale gray, so it is hard to see.

Ok. For the m, it's cut in the sheet, so I made a mistake computing the offset. I have to give a deeper insight, and I've some work up to Friday. When I have time, I look into it, and fix it (it can be nothing but a stupid computing mistake). I'll make a Lucida console then.

For the pale gray, it's due to the fact that the font is thin. I think we must choose a bold font anyway.

Did Orakio's team reveal you how to change the font width ? I looked into the portuguese translation, it seems that the characters are smaller.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 am

Once again I tried to appeal to the SEGA Blog/Forum Admins by sending this PM to Edward@Sega (who loves PS) and Clumsyorchid (who loves RPGs):
Sorry for bothering you again but I have to try...

I saw last week that PS2-4 have been released on Steam and that's great, wondering why PS1 couldn't get the same treatment...
But my gripe is, why can't the same be done to the 3D AGES games, specially PSG:1&2?
I'm serious when I say there's lots of people wishing for those games to come out of Japan, to not mention the wish of seeing PSG:3 done and join the other two...

Is there really no hope, for now, of seeing those two come out of Japan?

From those two, only Clumsyorchid answered, with this reply:
We released the original Genesis / Megadrive games - we're not publishing the 3D Ages games unless otherwise announced.

A too short of an answer I was hoping to get from them... Then I replied with this:
I know that... But is there really no hope of having them released anytime soon?

So far... No answer... Can't they really see that there's many fans who yearn for those games? I really don't get them...

I'm sorry if this is falling out of context of the topic but I wanted to share this with you, who are working on the fan-translation.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Here's the fixed (I hope) courier DAT file :

FONT-courier.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

And a Lucida Console :

FONT-lucida.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 664 times

There may be issues with gray colors on the boundaries.

Also, could you play a little with letter spacing and post the result ? I quote Orakio for this :

orakio_rob wrote:Go to the offset 00015214 and you'll see the value 14. Change this value and you'll change the spacing! I'm currently using 0E.

I think we should fix this problem quickly, or else you'll have to check all word-wrappings.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 am

Sorry for the delay. The Lucida works very well. My only suggestion would be to raise the lowercase g a tiny bit. I provided some pictures.

I have been using that offset value; I have it set to 11, since the font Orakio is using is much smaller then ours. However, this only applies to dialogue text,not the spells/items, and their descriptions.

Xric, I have been using the direct translation from the game, not the old version. I have made some changes from other translations available online. For example, "Dispair" looks alot more like "Deathbearer"to me,especially when the kana is pronounced.
Attachments
lucida2.JPG
The g's need to be higher just a tiny bit.
lucida2.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 18375 times
lucida1.JPG
lucida1.JPG (47.28 KiB) Viewed 18375 times
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Mon May 14, 2012 1:42 am

Looks good, nonetheless.
Could you just adjust the emulator's resolution to 640x448? It's the game's natural resolution.

Also, could you people tell me the config you use for the emulator? I've been having trouble to make the games run...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sun May 20, 2012 3:46 pm

No need...
The latest version of PCSX2 is great and can run the games on it's native resolution.

If none of you have the latest version just check on Google, you'll easily find it :D
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zucca » Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Ok. Can someone briefly tell me how the translation going on..?

I'm just too lazy to read all the thread since I last visited here. Especially when like half of the posts in this thread is semi-off-topic by Ben and xrick. Stupid arguments...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby xrick » Fri May 25, 2012 5:22 pm

I wouldn't call it stupid, just unnecessary blanter, but that depends on each one's point of view...

About the translation, quite a bit has been happening, but one of the things is the advancement in the library and font width of the texts.
More than that you'll have to wait to see if anyone else gives you more details of this or just read the topic.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Zucca wrote:Especially when like half of the posts in this thread is semi-off-topic by Ben and xrick.

Our argument ended 4 pages ago. Way to exaggerate.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff