Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Getting through the code of a PS2 game isn't exactly the same thing as getting through the code of a SMS game.

But I think we don't speak of the same thing : you want fixed width characters, but with a smaller size so that 5 letters names would fit. If so, I'm ready to believe it's stored somewhere. But I don't have time to look for it right now. Especially if our brazilian friends, who do a far more difficult job than I do, have already found it !
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Tryphon wrote:Getting through the code of a PS2 game isn't exactly the same thing as getting through the code of a SMS game.

Yeah, I know, and comparing them will do nothing, just remembered of bringing it up to this topic...

But I think we don't speak of the same thing : you want fixed width characters, but with a smaller size so that 5 letters names would fit. If so, I'm ready to believe it's stored somewhere. But I don't have time to look for it right now. Especially if our brazilian friends, who do a far more difficult job than I do, have already found it !

I don't quite remember right now for sure but I hope my memory isn't playing me any tricks...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri May 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Here is a sheet with the missing lowercase. I also added 4 characters that forms the name "ALISA", to see if it doesn't hurt the eyes too much :

psg1-plane0.png
psg1-plane0.png (75.41 KiB) Viewed 16490 times

And here's the DAT file. As before, it's not a zip, you have to change the extension.

FONT.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri May 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Awesome! I think you had asked about places for the quotes,a semicolon, and the apostrophe (for like That's).

On the first row,to the left of the ":" there is a single center dot: the apostrophe could go there.

For quotes, on the top row, 6th and 7th in from the right, and next to the "+" symbol, there are two brackets. This is a good place to put quotes.

Place the semicolon anywhere you like.

One small favor if you can: on the top row, between the comma and the period, there is an open holed circle. Could you make that the same image as the period next to it? It is used as a "next line" symbol in the item and spell descriptions, and I'd like to use the period. I feel like I'm asking a lot from you, so if you can't, just let me know.

You work so fast! Thank you so much, Tryphon!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 12:06 am

Man, this sure seems to be going great!
BTW, are you talking about this with Orakio? I'm sure he'd be delighted!

Also, I noticed your profile pic, but check this:
10.png
10.png (337.89 KiB) Viewed 16485 times

Neifirst.png
Neifirst.png (740.23 KiB) Viewed 16485 times

All of what I've been posting here since a few hours ago and much more thanks for Tryphon's great work!
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Sat May 05, 2012 12:34 am

Nice! I could also really use a bra with that kind of support myself!

The letters show up nicely. The ALISA does not,it gets cut off and spaced oddly;I am guessing that is due to the "table cell padding" effect.

I am going to definitely let OrakioRob know about this,though I think his romhackers already inserted a custom alphabet into the rom already. He was waiting for permission from them to give me access to the script. Now, I don't have to bug him for it :)

Tryphon, I would like permission to put your name into the game credits; if there is any other name you'd like me to use, let me know.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 am

Kyence wrote:Awesome! I think you had asked about places for the quotes,a semicolon, and the apostrophe (for like That's).

On the first row,to the left of the ":" there is a single center dot: the apostrophe could go there.

ok

For quotes, on the top row, 6th and 7th in from the right, and next to the "+" symbol, there are two brackets. This is a good place to put quotes.

The font I use (Arial Bold, which is the one I found fit the original the most) has only one quote glyph (straight) so I used another glyph (double acute accent) to simulate a slanted quote. If it look bad, I'll replace both with a straight quote, but I'd like to keep two slots because in some fonts (if we change) the glyphs are really distinct, and so in some language (e.g. french).

Place the semicolon anywhere you like.

It's on the first row, in place of the small kana.

One small favor if you can: on the top row, between the comma and the period, there is an open holed circle. Could you make that the same image as the period next to it? It is used as a "next line" symbol in the item and spell descriptions, and I'd like to use the period. I feel like I'm asking a lot from you, so if you can't, just let me know.

It took me about five seconds. That's sure a lot

I find the comma weird. Don't you want one that goes in the good direction ?

Here's the sheet :

psg1-plane0.png
psg1-plane0.png (75.45 KiB) Viewed 16476 times

and the DAT (named as a zip, as usual) :

FONT.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

For the ALISA cut off, it means a space is added between letters, so unless we find where this space amount is stored (and it is likely as difficult as finding the where the font width is stored) that's a deadend.

For the credits, it's nice from you, but my participation is really minor. The descompressador did all the job. I'll give you my name by pm if my participation becomes really helpful (I'm a teacher and don't want my students find me googling )
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Sat May 05, 2012 3:00 pm

You can flip the comma if you want.
I don't like to be pushy on the Internet. Ive seen too many flame wars. I figure being polite when someone is doing something nice is still valid even if we arent face to face.
I am putting my Kyence moniker in the game. I have a career in the biological sciences so I would not want my nam attached either. I can use Tryphon if you like.

Thanks again!
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Cooperation and good working environment (even if virtual) is always a formula for success.
Can I keep going with my posts like this, even if I'm being pretty useless for the project?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sat May 05, 2012 6:35 pm

You take part in the project as responsible of good temper ! An important job ! :)

@ kyence : I understand what you mean. Whether you put my name or not, it's perfect for me. In fact, the best reward you could give would be the english script. In fact, I plan to reprogram PSG2 (and maybe PSG1 later, since the engine and the tools will be done). An english script would spare me time.

About the sheet : comma replaced with a classical western one.

psg1-plane0.png
psg1-plane0.png (75.64 KiB) Viewed 16465 times

And the (not really zip) DAT file :

FONT.zip
(257.02 KiB) Downloaded 681 times

Of course, don't hesitate to ask for other characters.

Please post screenshots if some things don't fit.

Can you imagine a tool that would make your life easier for the translation ? (automatically rebuild DAT files, modifying slpm, encode a string using our sheet, whatever else)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Mood Maker, huh? LOL, thanks for the consideration.

I too think a few screenshots with the experiment results could come in handy, so we could comment on how things are going.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Not trying to go off-topic but how do you guys think the PS4 cast would look like in the remake?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 pm

xrick wrote:Not trying to go off-topic but how do you guys think the PS4 cast would look like in the remake?
Feel free to make a separate topic about that. Let us keep this topic specifically about PSG1 and the translation process.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby xrick » Sun May 06, 2012 1:31 pm

If, by any chance, a miracle were to happen and at the least PSG:1&2 were to be released outside Japan on places like PSN (for PS3/PSP) or Steam, were you guys still capable of continuing the project or would you have to change anything because the system is different?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Sun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I don't know.

But :
* I'd be surprised it happens
* Even if it happens, I don't see why an english version would be wnted since the game would be the same (for example, there are tons of localized versions of Genesis games, but very few of GBA or Saturn remakes)

@ Kyence : don't forget my previous message (if you think about an help I could provide). I made the tool to generate a sheet directly from a TTF file. It seems to work. I generated a sheet from Courier New (I don't like this font, but it's he first monospaced font that came to my mind). When you'll have time, it could be interesting to give it a try : since these fonts are designed to give the same width to all characters, spacing between letters could be more harmonious and pleasant.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff