Generation sprites?

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Generation sprites?

Postby Rulakir » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 am

Hi guys, new on this forum, i've been searching around for some rips from Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 for a game i'm working on, namely walking sprites for the characters, battle sprites etc. I would try to rip them myself but most of the screenshots I come across are damn JPEG -_- and my comp isn't good enough to run a PS2 emulator. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who has ripped them and is willing to share?
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Re: Generation sprites?

Postby Rulakir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am

Seriously? No one?
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby carlsojos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

This site has image captures in png format.

http://www.pscave.com/psg2/eventcg/
http://www.pscave.com/psg1/eventcg/

Sorry for not responding immediately- this one slipped under my radar the first time.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 am

Thanks for the reply, I've checked out those but they're only the CG cutscenes, not the actual walking or combat sprites which i'm after.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:39 pm

There are many PNG screenshots of the games on orakio_rob's weblog. Other than that, I've done a Google search, but didn't find much:
  • http://www.retro-otaku.com/wp-content/gallery/stock_images/psg1-3.jpg
  • http://astraldojo.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/psg1-20100122-174852.png
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Rulakir » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:17 am

Noah_Gen_Neo.png
Noah_Gen_Neo.png (19.57 KiB) Viewed 20730 times
Alis_Gen_Neo.png
Alis_Gen_Neo.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 20744 times
Odin_Gen_Neo.png
Odin_Gen_Neo.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 20730 times
It's been awhile since i ripped sprites, but i remember saying JPEGS should be illegal

I ripped this from a screenie, but it was a little... inaccurate, so i altered it slightly giving it an outline and a slight inner glow. Looks good in game, I'll put it here for anyone to use as long as credit is given. Unfortunately it's only one frame as i have to go by PNG screenshots
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby rafael_esper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 am

Yeah, I'm looking for the sprites too.

I've tried to rip Alis' walking sprites, but it seems to be a little harder than the Master System version. This is because in the PS2 there are light effects according to the position in the screen, I guess.

Are you familiar with ripping techniques, like using a screenshot application (one that takes multiple screenshots, according to differences in the screen), Photoshop or GIMP filters to subtract one image from another (useful to isolate static scenario from dynamic entity animations), and so on?

Maybe we could do a combined effort to rip all PS1 generation sprites.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Rulakir » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 am

All i use is photoshops 'extract' tool, it's not entirely accurate enough though to lift a sprite from the background, which is why i used an outline and glow effect on my battle sprites to cover up any mistakes i made on the outline. I also need to use PNG or BMP screenshots to rip from due to JPEG leaving artifacts. i'm not entirely sure how successful i would be on ripping the walking sprites as yet, I'll give it a shot tonight, they're much smaller than the battle sprites.

My main problem comes from the lack of screenshots in PNG format online, google yields little results, we'd need the ability to run a PS2 emulator, the ISO, and a screenshot program. Plus various save states. I'd like to get PS1 and PS2 done, if my methods work out ok i'll post the results and we can see about combining our efforts.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

rolftest.png
rolftest.png (12.44 KiB) Viewed 20717 times
It can be done, although i'm not sure how 'clean' the rip is, i probably need to clear it up a bit, and i had to make the shadow myself since they're transparent in game.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby carlsojos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I've ran PSG:2 on my old computer, mostly stopped when my HD smoked its partion table. PSCX2 is a good emulator that ran halfway decent on a computer with half the recommended clock speed, the game actually slowed down instead of getting choppy when it exceeded the resources available. I had found the iso at a large torrent site, but it took some time with only 2 seeds. If I remember, screenshots are incorporated into the program along with a pause emulation function, so that wouldn't be an issue for you to use.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Rulakir/rafael_esper - if any of you managed to rip all the sprites of any Generation game. I would request that you send it across so I can add it to the PS Cave pages. I have had a great couple of emails about this so the demand is there I assure you.

EDIT: If you are looking for the ISO's of the PSG1 and 2, then look for torrents as carlsojos suggested, or try file-hosting websites. Alternatively, if you can't find it easy, then PM me and I might send you on the right direction :)
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Rulakir » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

I'll check out the emulator that carlsojos recommended, i already have both games, PSG2 is a retail copy and PSG1 i have the ISO for. My PS2 is chipped. I've just gotta try and figure out the best way to extract the sprites from screenies, due to the ambient lighting effects and anti-aliasing on the psg games. But yeah i will certainly send them to you so you can add them.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby rafael_esper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 am

I'm able to run successfully the PS2 emulator with the PS games.

The most precious resource that I don't have right now is time. :roll: I'm working on another PS project (remaking PS1), and I probably won't need the sprites anytime soon, but it would still be awesome to have them.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Rulakir » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:18 am

I've managed to configure the emulator to run on my PC, and I've already taken some shots, I'm starting with PSG2 since my G1 disc isn't loading, i might have to re-burn it. So far it's looking promising, I'll see if i can churn out a full set of Rolf walking sprites soon.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

rolf_1.png
rolf_1.png (86.34 KiB) Viewed 20685 times
Technically, the PSG sprites have 4 distinct frames for each direction, I only ripped 3 to fit in with RPGMaker VX standard, but i will rip the other frame for each direction at a later stage. Here's Rolf.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Next

Return to Fan stuff