Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Postby Rulakir » Sat May 05, 2012 3:52 pm

The game I've been working on in RPGMVX, I don't have much to show yet, but here's the premise (and I believe the concept has been thought of before.. but whatever)

This isn't a sequel, or remake, it's a re-imagining. Instead of re-making all 4 PS games, I've decided to re-write the storylines of all the games slightly so that they all play out within the time span of a single lifetime. The game will feature almost all of the characters from all 4 games in some form or another. You will begin on Palma, as Alis, then after defeating Dark Falz, will timeskip to Mota (in the game Mota is split between the Biosphere, PS2's mota. and the Wild Lands, PS1 and 4 Mota. Towns that are duplicated will be replaced with new ones) and you will play as Rolf, after this storyline (and during actually) the play will skip ahead to Alisa III (I've made this an experimental biosphere created by Mother Brain and isolated from the other planets)

Eventually, you'll time skip again to Chaz, and his quest. Characters you have previously met will age throughout the game, and it will be possible to unlock 'secret' party members, including aged versions of previous party members.

At present, I'm using the default VX tileset to map the worlds (I'll probably end up changing it later and remapping them with PSG1+2 tiles.. but that's collosally hard work) and PSG1+2 sprites and battle graphics. The music will be a mixture of tracks from the different games. I'm especially looking forward to re-imagining the Alisa III section of the game.

I've so far added in most monsters, using PS2+4 sprites for the moment, starting to actually script soon. The battle system is for the most part done as well as I can with limited scripting expertise, there's also a minimap scripted in. Here's a couple of preliminary battle shots. Yes, Nero has replaced Myau, he won't die at the start of the game this time

preview1.png
preview1.png (279.59 KiB) Viewed 18845 times

preview3.png
preview3.png (153.54 KiB) Viewed 18845 times
Last edited by Rulakir on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Re: Phantasy Star: The Algo Chronicles

Postby Missagh » Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I am intrigued. I see that it is early stages. Please keep us updated as you progress. Hopefully it will be completed one day!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby xrick » Sun May 06, 2012 11:22 am

But, how're you gonna do about PS4's stuff, if you're gonna put stuff from PSG:1&2 in the game? Just curious...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Sun May 06, 2012 2:14 pm

I intend to heavily edit the sprites from both G1 and G2 to form sprites that are acceptable for 3&4, it's a heavy task but I think I can do it. They of course won't look as good as the real PSG1&2, but they will look better than the 16 bit sprites that everyone seems to use for their games.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Sun May 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Good luck with it, then. Post the progress here, so we can see, if possible.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 am

Will do, atm I'm going through all my 'placemarker' sprites and replacing them with PSG ones, so it's starting to look more fluid. If anyone knows aq really good battle scene scripter for RPGVX, I would appreciate it, I've done a bit, but I can't really re-write the whole script =\
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 am

A basic Chaz sprite for battle, just to get an idea of how it may look, easy to chop Rolf into Chaz. I'll probably use Anna as a base for Alys, Hugh as a base for Hahn etc. Just gotta chop them up enough that they look like new sprites
chaz_test1.png
chaz_test1.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 18777 times
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Sat May 12, 2012 11:30 am

I think you change the "Algo" in the game title to "Algol", since that's the Solar System's name.
Other than that, looking good, keep it up.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Wed May 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, I still always fall back on the original translation by habit, I will change it in the actual game But thanks for reminding me.

Progress: I'm chopping and changing battle sprites, all of PS1 and 2 character sprites are done, now working on 3 and 4. Here's a shot of the cast of PS4 (sorta) just to show how the spriting is going so far.

PS4_crew.png
PS4_crew.png (152.91 KiB) Viewed 18756 times

I also have Rhys and Mieu (PS3) battle backs and combat sprites done. And whilst I'm still using default tiles for the maps, I have begun scripting the events for Camineet/Parolit. And have now mapped 80% of the explorable overworlds (and about 5% of the towns, and dungeons)
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Not looking bad at all, keep it going.

But, could you show us a bit of our the overworlds and maybe a city/town or two are looking like?
I'd like to see...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Wed May 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Very nice progress. My least favorite is Wren but the rest look pretty solid. Especially Alys and Rika! Keep us updated buddy...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby rafael_esper » Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Very nice work on the sprites.

When you need to transpose your tileset with PSG one, contact me. I've already done that converting the original PS1 map with the new tileset. I'm not familiar with RPGMaker formats, but this can be done programatically one way or another.

I'm not a fan of RPGMaker, because of its platform-dependency, so I wrote my own engine in Java, strongly based on an existing one in a C-like language (Verge). Now I just need to code my game, an extended Phantasy Star I, and also future PS projects. In fact I think that your game project overlaps a lot with my ideas, so in order to save effort in the future, it would be nice if we could share and exchange some resources and even ideas.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Rulakir » Thu May 17, 2012 6:04 am

I'm not sold on Wren either yet, need to do a little more chopping to him.

Also, rafael, I could definitely use the help on making the actual PSG tilesets, since rpgmaker is a little anal when it comes to them. I mean the default tiles look ok, even fitting for some things, but for others (like PS2 Mota for instance) they just don't fit well enough. If we have the same idea for amalgamating the 4 games, then perhps we could share our ideas!

Because my story spans all 4 games in one, I've also had to remap Mota's wild lands to merge PS1 Mota and PS4 Mota into a single map. I'll 'lock off' the areas with impassable events to seperate them, I've also had to do the same with Dezo. Here's some images to show what the mapping is going like. (no towns yet as Camineet is a bit of a mess visually )

Palma world map.
PalmMap.png
PalmMap.png (196.33 KiB) Viewed 18745 times

Naula Cave on Palma
Naula.png
Naula.png (264.28 KiB) Viewed 18745 times

And lastly, the entire ALISAIII Biosphere (I remade Terminus.. made it a lava world to make it look/feel more threatening)
AlisaIIIMap.png
AlisaIIIMap.png (383.12 KiB) Viewed 18745 times

I've also planned an ultimate equipment set that will surpass the 'Nei' Weapons, and for each piece of equipment, it will be hidden in a 'ultimate dungeon' and guarded by a super boss, you'll need to complete sidequests and be decently levelled to take them on, the first one has its entrance in camineet ;) obviously you have to beat it before the first battle with Dark Falz (PS1 timeline)
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Thu May 17, 2012 7:14 am

Visually, even without the PSG:1&2 tileset, the maps are looking visually awesome! How it'll look like when you have the tileset? I'll really wanna see it :D
Also, PS1 caves ala PS4-style? Total win! It'll be really interesting to see them unfold!

And I noticed the "phoenix" lava design in the Terminus biosphere :D

Keep it up, I'm quite liking it.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

haha, that phoenix came off by complete accident, I noticed it slightly resembled one after I'd finished, so I 'touched it up' so it looked a little more like one.

Thanks for the encouragement :D I figured it might ruin the flow of the game if I tried to do 1st person dungeons as PS1 was, and also a bit out dated, so yep, they're ps4 style. It also makes them easier, which is good, because it is the first quarter of the game.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Next

Return to Fan stuff