Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star: The Algo Chronicles

Postby Rulakir » Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I realize I double post a bit, but sometimes I have stuff I just wanna share.

Zio

Mon_Zio_Final.png
Mon_Zio_Final.png (106.91 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out, for some reason the final layer didn't save, and I totally neglected to notice ^^ It is obviously going to look muchg better on the proper background, the black on this isn't semi transparent, and glaring yellow aint the best background for black ;p
Last edited by Rulakir on Sat May 19, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Sat May 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Why Dark Falz's head doesn't have the jaw? It's piece is in the same sprite as the rest of the head.

Other than that, good improvising with the whole of it.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

Another update.. some walking sprites.

Wren
$Wren_Walking.png
$Wren_Walking.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 16155 times

Rhys
$Rhys_Walking.png
$Rhys_Walking.png (17.19 KiB) Viewed 16155 times

Mieu
$Mieu_Walking.png
$Mieu_Walking.png (14.85 KiB) Viewed 16155 times

Here's how I made them: Rhys, used Rolf's body and Noahs waist cape and cloak, blended them together in photoshop, making sure to keep rolfs shoulder pouldrons over the cape, then blended the colours, changing the dark blues into light. Wren, Rudo's body, altered the chest plate to centralize the red area, changed the colours to gray, used Hugh's head and part of the scarf for the head, grayed the hair and scarf and drew on tiny 'antenna' parts. Mieu, used Nei, cut off the ears, drew the front of the costume so it goes up to her neck on both sides, shaded the arms to gray and coloured the costume and hair red.
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm

After much debate, I decided to use Parallax Mapping for my game, this allows me basically unlimited tilesets, just means a lot of photoshop work, I finally got Camineet looking how I want it.

Camineet.png
Camineet.png (310.5 KiB) Viewed 16137 times
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Why is it looking different from the original?
Just being curious, by the way.
Last edited by xrick on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:21 pm

What is parallax mapping ?

I think Rhys wears an armor, not a dress.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Nice work! How do you use Parallax mapping with this map? I thought that it was intended for 3d games...

I've got a Camineet more close than the original Phantasy Star I. Check it out (entities, characters and transparency effects are suppressed):

Rrcamineet.jpg
Rrcamineet.jpg (213.75 KiB) Viewed 16129 times
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 pm

WOW!!! Looks quite nice, indeed.
Despite me liking PSG:1's locations as well...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:03 am

The reason it's different is for 2 reasons, the first being that I wanted to -reimagine' some locations, to differentiate between all the 'PSG1 remakes' that might be ongoing. And second, I wanted it smaller than the PSG1 version because my game is a lot longer and bigger, I wanted towns near the start to feel smaller and more closed in, and towns later on (like Paseo for instance, and Aiedo in PS4) will feel larger and more suburban.

And Rhys is wearing a battle skirt to differentiate him from other cloaked characters that swarm PS3 (Lyle, Ayn, Nial, Crys, Sean, Adan, Aron) as well as others from the other games (Rune, Noah) I guess you could say it was a painful decision to reinvent certain aspects of the game, but since it's 1-4 blended together, some artistic license has to be made.

Parallax Mapping, If you're using RPGMakerVX, is fairly easy. You need to open a blank image in Photoshop with the exact dimensions of your map (Example, if your map is is 30x30 tiles, which at 16x16 pixels per tile makes 480x480 pixels) turn on the grid and set it to 16x16 and snap to grid. Then, draw your map exactly how you want it, save it to the pictures folder in your project. Then in game, set the parallax background to your map and set to show in editor. Then from there, all you need to do is have 2 transparent tiles that are set to passable and non passable, draw the 'non passable' ones over everything you can't walk on.

All you need in your tile editor are the objects that go above the characters, and draw those onto your map.

$Rika_Walking.png
$Rika_Walking.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 16123 times

Rika

$Alys_Walking.png
$Alys_Walking.png (17.08 KiB) Viewed 16123 times

Alys
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby xrick » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:07 am

Rulakir wrote:The reason it's different is for 2 reasons, the first being that I wanted to -reimagine' some locations, to differentiate between all the 'PSG1 remakes' that might be ongoing. And second, I wanted it smaller than the PSG1 version because my game is a lot longer and bigger, I wanted towns near the start to feel smaller and more closed in, and towns later on (like Paseo for instance, and Aiedo in PS4) will feel larger and more suburban.

Good point, it really is the liberty of fan-games, the possibility of reimagings.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Rulakir » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Just a quick note to say that this game is still in development. I've had university for the past few months without much of a break, in between I've been busily mapping away. As well as tweaking the animations and graphics here and there. Fully mapped and event driven Camineet/Parolit, Scion, Medusa's Cavern. Working on Paseo now, and then you should be able to play right up to getting Odin.

I am learning Java and C++, but I think I'm going to keep this in RPG Maker VX, what it lacks in flexibility it makes up for in ease of use.

Medusa's Cave (still need to redo some of the tiles)

MedusaCave.png
MedusaCave.png (193.25 KiB) Viewed 15988 times
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Oda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am

Aaaa I am really looking forward to this game! Everything you have so far looks great, from the re-imaged maps to the character sprites (I am amazed on how well you can make new sprites from other sprites sdgjkhsg) ; v; my only problem is that Myau won't be in the party anymore? Though I look forward to actually having Nero in the party, will we see Myau at any point?

Keep up the good work though, I'll be rooting for you ヽ( ´¬`)ノ I hope things go well for you in Uni too!
Help I have Phantasy Star'd and can't get up
Oda
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Rulakir » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 am

Myau makes an appearance, I've re-written the scene where Alis and Myau meet, you'll still get the Alsulin from him, and he'll be available as an NPC to chat to and will give hints and advice at different points in Alis' quest. In replacement, Nero will use 'Fangs' as his weapons, they are more like large, curved, daggers. So you'll still get the Iron Fang and Silver Fang etc. Nero will also use Myau's magic list.

At present some of my maps need their tiles slightly cleaning up, but it's fine for the testing phase. I'm currently finishing off all the combat sprites, so far I have Alis (Knife), Alis (Sword), Nero, Odin, Needle/Heat/Lasergun, Noah, Rolf (Knife), Rolf (Sword), Nei, Rudo (Dagger), Gun shot graphics for Rudo/Kain, Amy (Scalpel), Amy (Staff), Anna (Whip), Slasher graphics, Kain (Dagger), Hugh (Dagger), Shir (Dagger), Rhys (Sword), Mieu, Wrens gun graphics, Lyle, Ayn (Sword), Sari (Knife), Chaz (Sword), Rika, Rune.

I still need to sprite a few alternate ones, like Rhys, Ayn and Chaz's knife sprites. I still need to sprite Hahn, Seth, Raja, Laya, Ryan and Aron (battle graphics)

Myau is not the only character that got cut, I had to cut the entire second generation for Nial (personal preference I guess since I mostly did Ayn's side when I was younger), and most of the third generation, as well as Demi, Gryz and Kyra from PS4. But some of the characters that got cut I have re-added as secret characters. Basically, when you complete the final boss (PS4), you'll have an extra chapter afterwards, which will allow you to recruit some of the cut characters as bonus content, at the moment they will be (Hugh, Shir, Laya, Ryan,) and the party lead will pass to Aron, you'll also be able to do sidequests to regain members of your party from the other games, only older versions.

So.. the games flow will go like this:
Alis (Nero, Odin, Noah) > Rolf (Nei, Rudo, Amy, Anna, Kain) > Rhys (Mieu, Wren, Lyle) > Ayn (Mieu, Wren, Thea, Sari) > Chaz (Alys, Hahn, Rika, Wren, Raja) > *Aron (A host of bonus characters)
* bonus end game content

Perhaps I'm being too ambitious
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Rulakir » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 am

A preview, of Landen (and my PS3 cast, Rhys, Mieu, Wren, Lyle, Ayn, Thea, Sari, Ryan, Laya, Aron)

PS3Cast.png
PS3Cast.png (488.23 KiB) Viewed 15884 times

Just to show my thought processes, I'll explain what needs fixing in this image Originally, I was going to make Landen the green fertile environment. However, somewhat mid spriting I decided to change that, and make it a brown, more, 'dry' world than it was in PS3. I'm saving the green fertile environments for Elysium, and thawed Aquatica. Therefore the town sprite for Landen and Satera (I haven't gotten around to Satera yet hence why it's just a copy of Landen) has a fertile green base, it will be edited to fit in with Landens landscape soon. There also needs to be a cleanup of the edging sprites around the water and mountains (this happens a lot when you sprite with a grid on, you can't clearly see where the edges don't match up until you take off the grid, then you do the cleaning up)
Rulakir
Locusta
Locusta

Re: Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles

Postby Rulakir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

http://www.nerdrageonline.com/revenant/tower1to3.png

The first 3 floors of medusa's tower.

This project is most definitely still going on, to give an idea of time, it probably takes me around 2-3 hours to sprite a map the size of one of the floors from the tower above, so the above image is 6-9 hours work total. Since I only get maybe 1-2 hours per night to work on the project you can imagine how long it takes to sprite, say, the entire Palma overworld ;p

Although I am getting quicker, there are other things to do besides the spritework, once I have a map drawn, I need to import it into the game, script all the entrance/exit/transition events, treasure chest events, NPC's (in the case of towns), music transitions, enemy spawns etc. Here's a list of the progress so far on mapping/events, anything 'done' means complete, including all events, dialogue, scripting, completely playable.

Phantasy Star 1
- Palma (Overworld) - 25%
- Camineet - DONE
- Camineet Spaceport - DONE
- Parolit - DONE
- Scion - DONE
- Eppi - DONE
- Gothic - DONE
- Bortevo - 0%
- Loar - 0%
- Abion - 0%
- The Sewer - DONE