Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Postby Catreina » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Update - new progress updates and a quick question:

I am looking for ideas for my next pixel art creation - I am not an artist per-se, so it has to be an actual image I can use. I would like the next piece to be from Phantasy Star 1, but if there aren't any good ones, I will take art from any of the series, so long as it relates to PS1 in some way (like the Rolf/Eusis' dream intro, or the statue from PS4, etc).

Updates at bottom of OP, and OP below

-----------

Hello everyone! Long-time lurker to this (and many other) Phantasy Star boards, first time poster.

I am Jennifer, known to most on the internet as Catreina. I have been playing Phantasy Star since 1988, when it literally changed my life. A friend introduced me to this game by asking me to "go out of town and to that beach there" - my game playing life was born.

Phantasy Star is a passion for me, including learning Katakana and Hiragana to try to understand PSO2 during the Japan-only current release (until 2013 anyway).

So I started playing Minecraft on June 27th - after having said I would never do such a thing.... and something profound happened.

In the darkness that was my ignorance of Minecraft, I found a holy torch; a shining prism that would forever show me things that were not otherwise visible. I saw Minecraft for what it truly was - a gateway to my childhood and the journey for revenge that was the first ever Role-Playing game I played outside of a tabletop setting.

There I was, learning about Minecraft, playing a hardcore world in single player while sometimes going onto a friends server for fun, when a conversation started. It was caused by the sheer number of things built by people on that server, and with my ignorance of all things Minecraft prior to this, I realized something so suddenly that it almost floored me (I had my trusty crystal though!)

I could re-create Phantasy Star in Minecraft.... as homage to the series I have loved for almost 25 years.

Now mind you, I had not seen any videos or examples of anyone else doing it, and I did not care if it was already done. I wanted to do it... so after two failed attempts with 2 dungeons and 3 towns completed each (the first with me using 2x2 minecraft tiles for each sprite in game, and the second with a failed town to over-world ratio), I started a new, more ambitious version - each over-world tile on the game map would equate to a 32x32 group of minecraft blocks.

The cities will be large and amazing looking, the landscape will require artistic license (or you will be walking for 1.5 minutes through nothing going from Camineet to Scion), and the dungeons will be as close to exact as I can make them, within the confines of the Minecraft game.

That said, my current project progress is thus:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

Scion

Baya Maylay Prison

In Progress:

Area inside wall but outside Camineet

Baya Maylay and environs - specifically the mountains and cliffs from prison to cave

I also have a nice Pixel Art of Dark Falz and another of Alis and friends on the world south of Parolit that took about 10 hours to complete... true fans would love to see it, I assure you.

The project will be about 1.2 billion blocks or so when fully completed, and I plan on making a texture pack and mod for the world so that I can have a server set up to play it on directly. I also plan on doing PS2, 3, and 4 should this project turn out well.

You can see Dark Falz on my youtube and you can watch me in-progress live whenever I am casting (unless I am doing some other game at the time) on my Twitch.tv page - The Alis pixel art will be on Youtube in the next few days.

=)

Edit: my website, youtube and live stream links:

My website - http://catreina.com
My live stream - http://Twitch.tv/Catreina
My Youtube - http://Youtube.com/CatreinaTV
Last edited by Catreina on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catreina
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:05 pm

That sounds like an awesome project. I've never touched Minecraft myself, but I certainly want to see this somehow!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 pm

For a while ago, I came across something that might interest you

Here is Paseo in Minecraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLY-ZQOJ7Zs

And here are some pictures from this project:
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 13578 times

75382909.jpg
75382909.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382919.jpg
75382919.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382928.jpg
75382928.jpg (96.91 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382950.jpg
75382950.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382957.jpg
75382957.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382967.jpg
75382967.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382982.jpg
75382982.jpg (86.27 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382989.jpg
75382989.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382997.jpg
75382997.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75383002.jpg
75383002.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75383005.jpg
75383005.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
75382907.jpg
75382907.jpg (121.51 KiB) Viewed 13578 times

It is a project named Phantasy Craft and made by a Russian developer. I saved these files for a few weeks back, I can try to find the site in my history and post it. However, I should note that all information there is in Russian. Also, I think there was a download available. And wow, uploading multiple files and placing them inline was more difficult than it should be.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Black Sword » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm

.....amazing. *falls down to the ground* CATREINA THE HOLY ONE!
"Where is Black Sword? I'd know his Orakio anywhere!" - BenoitRen
Black Sword
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Missagh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Just rewatched the Paseo video properly. This is soooooo cool! I'm going to go on a hunt for the files now...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Catreina » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:52 am

I saw the video of PhantasyCraft beta V2 (the newer video he uploaded) but other than the alpha texture pack, I have been unable to find anything new about that project. It seems that he is doing for PS2 (and it looks like 4) what I am doing for 1. In any event, both 2 and 4 are much larger projects that I planned on looking into after I completed 1 - IMHO 1 is the best to start this with, even if it is less "known"

=)
Catreina
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Catreina » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 am

Moving on to Scion, and then I will be working on fleshing out the entire area where Baya Maylay sits - it will be the first full area I flesh out that is not a town.

I have some big ideas for how to do that area too, it will be quite interesting if it works out.

That said, current progress will be (or is) updated in the main post as well as here:

Completed:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

In Progress - Area inside wall but outside Camineet

In Progress - Scion
Catreina
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby carlsojos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am

I figured I may as well show this off since I'm thinking of it: it's just a crude Nei skin I threw together- a long way from being good enough to pass around.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Fan stuff