Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby UniqueUserName » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:01 pm

That is just human nature for us all to hope/wish for something to be available before it can possibly be finished.
*Think of childhood upcoming days before Christmas*
Waiting is just a part of life, and the best stuff always takes time. ;)

As long as nobody ( whom talks to Santa-Tryphon :) ) has said that the project is dropped, I will continue to be patient, and check back often.
(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 am

I PM'ed Tryphon.

UniqueUserName wrote:That is just human nature for us all to hope/wish for something to be available before it can possibly be finished.
*Think of childhood upcoming days before Christmas*
Waiting is just a part of life, and the best stuff always takes time.

As long as nobody ( whom talks to Santa-Tryphon ) has said that the project is dropped, I will continue to be patient, and check back often.

To be fair, Christmas has the same date every year, so its not exactly the same. But yeah, many good things take time. I just want an update every so often, since there is no definite completion date for this project.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Sorry, I didn't check this board for some time. Don't hesitate to send me a PM if this happens, I get notifications (er.. only one of you guys sends me a PM, or else my box will be flooded soon).

So, yes, of course, I'll make a fix for PSGEN2 english, and also work again on PSGEN1 english to allow Vivify to finish his version.

I thought I could do it this summer, but something not schedulded happened : I gave some help to 2 guys which were translating a not much known TRPG for the Megadrive : Lord Monarch. It turned out they went quite far in the translation (almost the entire script was translated) so I decided to help them to complete the project, doing some hacking, inserting script, editing gfx and so on. We are now in the last 1% that takes 50% of the time (Blaw- and Kyence know exactly what I mean :) ) but I think in some weeks, at most 2 months, the translation will be released (and it's quite a nice game, it reminded me some Shining Force).

After that, I need some breathing from hacking and will devote some time to a homebrew I'm developping, then I'll be back to Phantasy Star Generations. I can't really give a date (many things always come in the way) but I won't forget. I can't even : I went to ROM hacking because of Phantasy Star II, not the contrary :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Glad to hear that you're doing alright! :) I'm super happy to hear you were working on a cool project and I'm glad that'll be released. I am going to go out on a limb and, based on the information you gave, assume the updated versions probably won't be out before early 2017, but I'm definitely not going to hazard a guess beyond that since A. I'm not on the Generation:2 team and B. Tryphon is such a huge part of Phantasy Star Generation:1's updated translation that I don't wanna say something different to what he said. Sorry gang, but hang in there! It'll be worth the wait.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby UniqueUserName » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:08 am

Shinto-Cetra wrote:I PM'ed Tryphon.

To be fair, Christmas has the same date every year, so its not exactly the same.

There is intelligence with this one.

LOL, I only meant that Tryphon is our very own "bringer of wonderful gifts", still LOLing.

Tryphon wrote:I can't really give a date (many things always come in the way) but I won't forget.

Thank you very much for the update Tryphon... even a "please stand by" message, is better than silence to your fans. Thanks again!

SandyLandale wrote:It'll be worth the wait.

Agreed. We shall wait as long as we must... and it will be fantastic!
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Novyal » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:40 am

I check the forum from time to time, but mostly just lurk.

Too bad it's been so quiet latetly.

Good to know the project wasn't forgotten, though :)

Keep up the good work guys!
My digital art website: http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital
Novyal
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Zucca » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Project like these tend to take some time. And in the process will usually have silent perioids also.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby darkwraith007 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:00 pm

"Hey we need help on this random unrelated Genesis translation, you free?"
"Oh I've got nothing on my plate, sure I'll help!"
6+ months go by....
"Oh crap I just got a PM about the projects I was currently in the middle of but completely tossed aside to work on ANOTHER translation because reasons!" "Oh well!"

It is just a bugfix so thankfully we can at least play things through to completion (for both PSG1 and PSG2) but still.
While I can't fault honesty, it just goes to show what happens with people sometimes.
Taking a break from translation/fixing because of burnout? Do what you need to do.
Taking a break from translation/fixing because of IRL important stuff? Absolutely! Go ahead and handle it!

Taking a break from translation/fixing that has been pending for about a year because you were working on a different translation with another group while leaving your current group in limbo?
Nobody else will say it, but I will do so.

What a damn shame.
ಠ_ಠ

I've been working alongside PCSX2 devs to fix obscure emulation bugs in coding, including crash issues. They manage to get more fixes done in a week than certain coders here have done in over a year.
Excuses only go so far.
The first rule of First Aid is "Apply Strong Pressure to an Open Wound". Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea :P
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby TheSegaDude » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 pm

@darkwraith007
Why are you calling out Tryphon? Nothing is owed to anyone. Hopefully I've misinterpreted the mood of your message.

People have taken a lot of time to work on this translation project and as it is an amazing job has already been done. It would be a shame to send anything their way that isn't thanks and gratitude. Tryphon and the others involved are the ones who have actually done the work here and they have shown interest in doing more. That's awesome.

Your criticizing the only people who have stepped up and made something happen.

I say, keep up the great work! And thanks guys! You're rock'n it!
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Novyal » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:35 am

It never ceases to amaze me how entitled some people feel...

Ignore the bad apples, folks. You're doing a great work and you don't owe us anything.

The translation and bug fixes will be completed when they'll be completed. Good luck with everything and take your time :)
I'll be waiting for the finished version, as I'm sure all of the reasonable people will be.
My digital art website: http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital
Novyal
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:11 am

Novyal wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how entitled some people feel...

Ignore the bad apples, folks. You're doing a great work and you don't owe us anything.

The translation and bug fixes will be completed when they'll be completed. Good luck with everything and take your time
I'll be waiting for the finished version, as I'm sure all of the reasonable people will be.

Yep! ^^
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Friends, keep things positive. The team will release an update whenever they get the chance. All of this is completely on a voluntary basis so all we can do is to be supportive and have great patience.

On a good note, we keep seeing errors posted here so maybe it's not a bad thing that we're getting a later upgrade release. :)
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Oresama » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:42 pm

But I want it now, now NOW!!!!

I actually saw that there's a playable patch while going through romhacking.net. You may want to add major updates like something being released to the OP.

The patch wouldn't apply to my bin/cue image even after converting and renaming, but thankfully some tooooootally legitimate-looking Russians hooked me up with a prepatched ISO. Given that this is small enough to easily be hosted Mega, Turbobit, etc. that would be the preferred method of distribution in the future. Something to consider. :D

Being in the process of translating a visual novel myself I know it's a lot more effort than it appears on the surface, so thanks and congratulations are in order. PSG1 was fantastic and I'm looking forward to getting started on PSG2. Now if we could only get Sega to make PSG3 and PSG4...
Oresama
Locusta
Locusta

Postby guru2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Where is her drum set?? Not sure why you had trouble patching, I was able to patch it alright. I almost think it depends on the version... I can't remember but I think I had issues with the first iso I had too, then I got another iso and it worked fine.

Also I agree, you should update the OP and include the DL link in the download section on the home page, but just to note that the patch file and iso is in the pscave homepage under the PSII playstation2 section.

*edit* it would be nice to include the save file to revive nei somewhere in the homepage if you haven't done so already.
guru2
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby UniqueUserName » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:28 pm

guru2 wrote:it would be nice to include the save file to revive nei somewhere in the homepage if you haven't done so already.

Here is the link to my post containing the Nei save file and PSG1 Clear-Data:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&p=57291#p57291
:character-beavisbutthead:
However, there are cons to what I quoted... for instance:
It might tempt people to rip themselves off from attempting it on their own... or possibly even skip completing the PSG1 requirement.
IMO leave it up to staff to decide if its a good idea (to offer it alongside the translation) or not... but Im cool with it either way. 8-)
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff