Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby skymandr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Kyence wrote:I'm very sorry for the delay.

Take your time, and take care of yourself! ^__^
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Nommy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 am

>.> I JUST found this thread. I wasn't aware that the PSG2 translation was actively tracked here, although I should have looked into the matter more thoroughly.

It really sucks that you have to deal with something like that. I, myself, have been fighting chronic migraines that started after I was in an accident when I was four, so I know what it's like to have to deal with something that creeps up on you at extremely inconvenient times with aggravating frequency. I really hope you feel better soon.

As much as I'd like to help, I can't read Japanese with enough frequency to translate anything (I can barely remember how to write Godzilla), and I don't know the programming language you all are using, but if you need help with anything else, do ask :)
Nommy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Verun » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29 am

I'm actually playing it on Japanese atm. I started learning English in my childhood with PS 1 and 2 and now Japanese with the same games from the Playstation 2 ^^

The irony. I'll still love to play it in English later, but it's surprising how far you can get here with only being able to read Kana.

Of course I'll revive Nei (by force if I have to). I already got her Animal Claw ^_~
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Nommy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:51 pm

I've considered playing some japanese titles just to see if maybe I'd start picking up on the language... Maybe I will... there are so many titles that were never localized that I wish I could play and can't because I can't (yet) read japanese.
Nommy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Verun » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Made it :D
And Nei too ;>
Such an awesome game. I'll be sure to replay it when the English translation is complete.
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:39 pm

Was it really that hard? Getting Nei back...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Verun » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Not at all. Took me about 3 minutes to find the correct byte to switch. It's 10 bytes before Nei's Max HP ;)
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Ah... You cheated... Hmm... OK...
Not like I haven't done the same to have them with Inf HP and Max Lv :lol:
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Verun » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am

Oh, no. I don't like that kind of cheating. I don't have any gaming fun when I'm at max level or max stats in any game. But Nei is just my favorite character of any JRPG. I wouldn't play without her.
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 pm

I understand... It's me who's not quite the gamer but wanted to playthough it and get the cutscenes...
Thank goodness the brazilian guys managed to rip everthing :D
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Verun wrote:Not at all. Took me about 3 minutes to find the correct byte to switch. It's 10 bytes before Nei's Max HP

That's definitely something to note for any save hacking notes. When you switched it on, did you have to have a full team? In other words, did Nei replace the second member of the selected party?
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Skydawn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:28 am

This is my first post here. Just wanted to thank you for the work you're doing. I just finished playing through the translated PSG1, which is a game I've wanted to play for years, hoping that it would eventually get a sympathy release in the U.S. lol. Now I just need to start working on hex codes for it. I'm not sure what I can contribute to PSG2, but I'll help if help is needed. PS2 was my favorite of all the games.
Skydawn
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Verun » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 am

Kyence wrote:
Verun wrote:Not at all. Took me about 3 minutes to find the correct byte to switch. It's 10 bytes before Nei's Max HP

That's definitely something to note for any save hacking notes. When you switched it on, did you have to have a full team? In other words, did Nei replace the second member of the selected party?

The addresses of the character stats seem to be static in memory, but differ for each version of pcsx2 of course. There already was a memory editing guide for a really old version of the game that gave me the hint that it's not a hard thing to do. But I had to search for the byte from scratch as my version was the latest. What is static seems to be the segments for the characters. So when you know the address of MAX HP, then you can tell where the address of "is available to recruit" is. That is the only thing that is changed when Nei dies and when you switch it back on - the only thing you loose is the comment of the guy in the clone lab. Everything after switching it back on will recognize her as if you are in new game+ and did all the freak stuff to get her back.
You even get her "ending". And in Skure you can get the animal claw when you hack in the required item for it. (Silver Bullet Necklace). You could also just hack in 2 claws of course but I wanted to keep it as close to how it was meant as possible, so I got one of those Silver Bullet Neclaces.
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Actually, the Emotion Engine memory segment has remained static in PCSX2 for several versions, now. It makes it easy to share cheat codes and other memory address changes. Just use Cheat Engine and hack away at the memory range 20000000-2FFFFFFF.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Verun » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Maybe that version where I got the initial hint was too old for that, as the addresses were completely different there.
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff