Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Blaw- » Sat May 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Tryphon wrote:
Blaw- wrote:it's useless to know what you have to do on PSGEN1, as long as you have a save which is working.

I didn't see anybody claim that.

But that's mean there aren't that much steps, as we don't need to know what is required for PSGEN1 (from what I read, nothing, except just a cleared save).

Skymandr : Thanks for the link, I'll read it later.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Zio51 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 pm

skymandr wrote:Here is a Japanese site with some tips (mostly: talk to the governor, talk to your party members etc.). Maybe there is something new there, dunno: http://www.gamer-seven.com/ps2/nei.html

I have had a quick look at the link. Though my Japanese is not quite enough yet, I can roughly understand the overall meaning. It seems to be pretty much the same indication that are found on PS cave: http://www.pscave.com/psg2/changes.txt.

Actually the person that wrote this document in English might even probably have had this japanese page as a source of information from which they translated, that's what I think anyway.
It strongly looks like it derived from it.

Also it's right that you only need a PSG1 clear data save and there's apparently no other requirement in regards to the PSG1.

Blaw wrote:But personally, I don't find the ressurection of Nei very useful

I don't think for fans, it's about whether it is useful but rather like to clear a pent-up frustration from when she died when you first played on the Genesis and could not do anything about it. It's like you're getting your revenge on the game, at least it'll be for I.

Anyway, I think Nei, arguably, has a really good extra skill though it takes a while to get the skill bar full. However her level progression is a bit too rapid so that means at equivalent lv (for lv50+) she'll lose out probably. But on my first playthrough I cleared the game rather easily and did not really grind my char near lv99 (I was barely over level 50). So I think she's neither useful or useless, it's just a matter of preference (though having to keep her in the team means you can only swap 2 chars).
Zio51
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Edge » Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 am

What of equipment? She could have an entire arsenal of skills, wouldn't be much good if she dies every time she gets hit due to lack of new equipment beyond the point of where she died... Honestly, her greatest asset IMO was her claw attacks which were amazing, which also... Would lack any upgrades beyond her death, granted the weapon could always be replaced with any item-->use items, but still... It just wouldn't be the same.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Shinuzzo » Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 am

She can get the Animal Claw once you reach Dezoris. Really the problem would be her defense, since the only new gear she can equip is the Thunder Crown unless you want to waste a hand slot on the Plasma Field.
Shinuzzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Edge » Mon May 20, 2013 1:58 am

Are there two animal claws? Man, I really wanna play this -_-'
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu May 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I received today my PSGEN 1 and PSGEN 2 versions

I can confirm the PSGEN 2 ISO that can be found on Internet is a 1:1 (perfect) copy of the game, just checked to be sure.

Here's some pics :

http://www.casimages.com/a/JqdEw

I'll scan the covers/manual and bonus pages in high quality later, translate them then edit them. I assume Kyence will probably do the same (only the translation is required, I'll deal with the edit) once the textless scans will be posted (would be nice to make a pdf with the translated manual, included in the ISO, and translated covers if someone want to print them).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edge » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:24 am

"Blaw-", I'm genuinely interested in those scans!! If you think a lack of interest has been holding you back from scanning this, I'm telling you myself right now, there's no lack of interest!! Hook it up, brother.
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 am

Tss ! Tss !

Blaw- is currently translating the ISO ! Don't turn his head :mrgreen:
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 am

Edge wrote:"Blaw-", I'm genuinely interested in those scans!! If you think a lack of interest has been holding you back from scanning this, I'm telling you myself right now, there's no lack of interest!! Hook it up, brother.

Oh no, nothing is holding me. It's just that I planned to do it a bit later.

I don't know yet when I'll do it, but it should be soon.

@Tryphon : I don't think they care about a french translation :mrgreen: And I'm still working on it, 44% of the main script is translated (so, near half the whole game), as you already know ;)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 pm

PSGEN 2 one is scanned, I'll upload the archive tonight.

306 MB (656 MB uncompressed), as I wanted to do it as the maximum of quality I could (BMP files and 600dpi, the maximum resolution of my scanner), as I plan to translate and edit the manual later.

Everyone can resize-convert and reshare them if you want :)
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

600 DPI is overkill, and it's possible that the scanner doesn't actually scan that well, but uses interpolation to generate more dots. 300 DPI is perfectly adequate.

Consider using properly compressed PNG images instead of BMP.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Totally agree about the PNG format. You could compress it into the PNG 24-bit format - that should reduce filesize drastically.

It is interesting that you are considering to translate the covers and potentially the manual, is that actually going to happen?

Thanks for sharing these!
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Blaw- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:17 am

Compressing them in .PNG or compressing them with .RAR give the same size (I tested, size divided by 2), so that's the same (the difference is that RAR compression isn't destructive, which is the case of PNG one), people can recompress them in PNG after if it's easier for them.

I won't rescan then in 300dpi, it would be a waste a time, the quality seems already good enough (and as they will be resized-down, it should give a pretty good quality at the final output size), I did several tests with some options of the scanner until I got happy with the result.

@Missagh : I will, but in french, I'm not a native english user so it would be a crap in english (but I suppose Kyence will also do it, if she just have the translation of the text to care about).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:17 am

PNG is not destructive.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 am

That's not what I read, care to explain? (I read that near every compression which let you use the file on-the-fly is destructive in terms of quality, except formats which aren't compressed, obviously, and also read that's why games, for example, have to decompress on-the-fly the datas what they have compressed to use them).

Anyway, here's the link : http://ks353712.kimsufi.com/PSGEN2-Scans_600dpi.rar
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff