Phantasy Star Gaiden Annelid Figurine

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star Gaiden Annelid Figurine

Postby Patraw » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Enormous desert worms that can be encountered in Sega's 1992 Phantasy Star Gaiden (Side Story) Game Gear roleplaying video game, which was never released outside of Japan (however, the ROM has been fan-translated into English). The monsters Annelid and Weevil share the same game sprite, they differ only in color and statistics.

An Annelid tunnels rapidly through its sandy environment, attracted by the vibrations created by moving objects (footsteps, spinning tires, digging, etc.) Upon reaching its destination, the upper third of the worm bursts up from the arid earth and attacks (said eruption is so violent that it usually knocks anyone nearby off their feet and has been known to overturn vehicles as well). When feeding, the Annelid grasps and entangles its prey with the three prehensile "tongues" dangling from it maw, which then draw the meal up to the mandibles to be torn apart and consumed. These ropy tendrils are also coated with a weak neurotoxin that may stun the victim, preventing them from escaping or fighting back. If taxed by particularly uncooperative prey, an Annelid can channel and focus the heat of the desert sun to cast the fire spell Flaeli, roasting the target where it stands.

The relationship between Annelids and Weevils is a topic that is still hotly debated by local biologists. As they look nearly identical, share the same environment, and are often encountered together, many scholars have asserted that they are simply male and female variations of the same organism, not unique species. However, clarification of this issue by anatomists has proven difficult, by virtue of the Annelids and Weevils devouring their dead . . . and the would-be researchers.

Materials:
Newsprint, white glue, acrylic paint, and gloss nail polish.

Dimensions:
1.7 cm (0.7") x 3.0 cm (1.2") [widest point x highest point]

Time:
Two days; April 20 and 21, 2013.
I modeled the figure in its entirety on the twentieth, and painted it the following day.

Patraw
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Re: Phantasy Star Gaiden Annelid Figurine

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Impressive, as always!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Missagh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Amazing! How many of these have you made? Do you have a picture/video of your whole collection?

And again, your description of the enemy is stellar. You should write enemy info for our PS game sections ;)
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Patraw » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for the comments!

My current sculpture/model count is 408, but, in my numbering system, I count multiple figures that belong to a single project as one "thing", so the actual total is a bit more than that. You can see all of my pieces at my Master Figure Index, if you're interested:

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/figure_index.html

I don't have any photos of all of my figures grouped together, but I did take this one of all the projects that I made in 2012 (which includes the PS3 Mieu block figure and Stix):

While I appreciate that you like my descriptions enough that you would offer me to write monster descriptions for the PS Cave, that would be a huge undertaking that I simply wouldn't have the time to do (it takes me several hours to write up, and edit, one of the web pages for my figures).
Patraw
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Return to Fan stuff