Upcoming Phantasy Star remake

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Upcoming Phantasy Star remake

Postby rafael_esper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Phantasy Star Extended v1.00 is released.

https://github.com/rafael-esper/Phantasy/tree/master/Phantasy/redist

Read the .txt file included in the 'redist' folder, or just remember:

1. Controls:
<Enter> -> Action button
<Shift> -> Menu button
<Esc> -> Cancel button

2. Running:

You need the Java Runtime Envinronment (JRE) installed.
Double-click on the .jar file, or run on the command line the following command:

java -jar Phantasy.jar

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Very impressive! Code looks readable too! =) What license is it?
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Thank you for your feedback. For the others: remember to click on 'View raw' in order to download the .jar.

I'm going with GPLv3 license - some of the code was based on the Verge engine, and there is the original license there also (in JVerge project). Basically you can use it commercial or non-commercial just keeping the license there.

It's my interest to see fans improving and making other Phantasy Star games with it.

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 pm

I can't download the jar file : I get a Phantasy.jar file of only some kb, and I've an error "Invalid or corrupt" when trying to open.

I'll try to compile from the sources.

Thanks for sharing this. It's a great achievement.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Have you tried clicking on 'View Raw' and then downloading it? Some friends have already downloaded this way and played the game successfully.

Thanks for your kind words,
Rafael, the Esper.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes, that's what I did and it didn't work. Though, I downloaded the entire Phantasy-master archive (with sources), and I have the jar file working inside.

So far, it works perfectly :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby rafael_esper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't know why the "View Raw" is not working, even though it shows the right size. In my other projects, it works fine. So, here is a way that works:

1) Access https://github.com/rafael-esper/Phantasy and Click on 'Download ZIP'. The .jar file is inside the redist folder.

2) This is an alternative link provided by Orakio: http://gazetadealgol.com.br/_media/dive ... _v1_00.zip

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby HTD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:41 am

Cool going to play soon and leave my feedback.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rafael_esper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 am

I've released a new version correcting a bug when the robotcops confiscate your passport in the spaceport (optional dialog in the game). This was possible because of the feedback received by the people that are playing the game right now. So, remember to download always the last version (you can check the readme.txt to see if you got the last one).

HTD: Thanks, the more feedback about it I receive, the better. I can even motivate myself at doing some major changes in the future, like adding high-res graphics from Generations or even a remake of Phantasy Star 2, 3 or 4.

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper.
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby HTD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:36 am

I'm sure you are aware that I am very capable at Phantasy Star Graphics. I have no intention to emulate the generation 1 style but if you want to consider creating something with me. Send me a PM.
I have had a lot of projects start up before but this time after playing your game, I do trust you have skills at coding which is what I have been missing the whole time.
To check out my art please visit my deviant art page or just pm me.

http://chrishtd.deviantart.com/gallery/
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:30 pm

If you can provide Hi-Res Phantasy Star III sprites, you definetely interest me (I'm currently coding a Phantasy Star engine, for remaking Phantasy Star Generations 2, but I'm planning to use it to make a Phantasy Star Generations 3).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Tryphon wrote:If you can provide Hi-Res Phantasy Star III sprites, you definetely interest me (I'm currently coding a Phantasy Star engine, for remaking Phantasy Star Generations 2, but I'm planning to use it to make a Phantasy Star Generations 3).

I may one day wish to help you in the future but this is really something that should be conducted via PM. In all honesty I have little interest in hi-res due to the amount of time to produce and less restrictive nature of them.

@Rafael_esper.
I have been playing and really love the extra game modes. I would suggest a prelude that could be Nero and his revolutionaries succumbing to the space police etc.. that would be kinda cool.
Yes I would love to help you with graphics for this project, so much so that I kinda went and did some for an example.

I think the name should be different as well. Reborn or Plus (+) are much more suitable imo.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rafael_esper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 am

I have thought about this prelude idea with Nero, and I can definetely go with it after finishing the "Start as Lutz" option. I just have no talent for drawing chars from scratch - so if you draw me a Nero char and help me with the storyline, that would be awesome.

Another announcement: for those who want to finish the game, I have fixed a major bug on a Baya Malay Tower corridor, removing an extra wall there. Thanks to Denis to reporting this issue on the Github bug tracker.

Please download the v1.02 version. The link is the same, but if you have trouble downloading the .jar directly, you can access also this upper level link:

https://github.com/rafael-esper/Phantasy

-> Download ZIP option
-> Look for the .jar in the redist folder

Regards,
Rafael, the Esper
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby HTD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:09 am

I haven't had a reply from your PM, so I think it best to place it here until I get confirmation that you like the work.
Below are the phantasy star 1 style sprites of Nero. I opted for his classic style but also made a quick mock up of his gen 1 attire too.
The sprite sheets are all 3 directions (Alisa and others have four due to holding weapons, this was later dropped in future incarnations of phantasy star).

I have noticed several things about the sprites in your game. Firstly you are using a combination of PS1 and PS4 sprites, although from the onset these can seem to fit due to their structure being similar, the difference in shading and other things does make them noticeable.

My proposal is this:

Stick with either PS1 style and I'll not only remake every character to this but I can also teach people on the forums or wherever how to edit their own by supplying a simple template (which could be fun). Doing this would be a much quicker production time and I could easily create content at a faster rate with or without anyone else's help. As you can see the only real restriction is a slight difference in size and a lack of detail. In my opinion this is the way to go forward.

or

Go with the ps4 style as I have shown in my previous post, this takes a little bit longer to produce (usually a day per "original" character). The issue with doing this would mean that all towns, everything would need to be changed to fit this style. The benefits are you would have a good looking game that fit well with the other ps series - the downside... Time and the need to be creative with detail.

Overall the things graphically that will take time no matter what route are the following:

New Cutscenes - if needed
Monster sprites/animations
New Backgrounds - if needed.

As for Nero's game I have a few ideas but I'd really need to touch base with you in a more private area.

Thanks

HTD
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby rafael_esper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 am

I'm proud to announce that version 1.03 is out with 8 bug corrections (they are listed on the .txt file in the redist folder). Remember to download the ZIP from this path: https://github.com/rafael-esper/Phantasy or, if you are able to, download just the .jar in the redist folder if you want.

@HTD, very impressive! I hope we can work together and improve this game as much as we like. I'm planning a Nero storyline that would require his character above, and also robotcops and maybe Luveno. We can discuss the details by PM and if anybody want to help with anything, just PM me also (or send an e-mail).
rafael_esper
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff