Fan translation and the upcoming PSN release of Generations

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Fan translation and the upcoming PSN release of Generations

Postby LongshotTheDark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm

So, Sega announced today that they will be releasing Generations 1 and 2 on Japanese PSN August 20th. My question, then, is there a way to use the translation and patch it directly to the game if I purchased it through PS3, or would I ultimately have to use some kind of work-around and play it on my PC through some kind of emulator? I'd simply love to be able to play it on my actual PS3 and earn achievements along the way.
LongshotTheDark
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Fan translation and the upcoming PSN release of Generati

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure this would involve custom firmware somehow, which I'm not familiar with. Lots of misinformation about it floating around, too.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Tryphon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:06 pm

It will work on any PS3 ? Even those (the slim ones) who are not retrocompatible ?
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:52 am

Every PlayStation 3 is compatible with PlayStation 2 games through emulation software. Sony just disabled the ability to load PlayStation 2 game discs.
BenoitRen

Postby Tryphon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:51 pm

AFAIK, some games don't play.

The old PS3 were totally retrocompatible because they carried the PS2 processors (noticeably the Emotion Engine), it's not the case of more recent models.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Shinuzzo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm

PS1 and PS2 classics don't have trophies unless they're actual HD games. It would be interesting to see if the translation patches could be applied to downloaded copies though.
Shinuzzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 am

Tryphon wrote:The old PS3 were totally retrocompatible because they carried the PS2 processors (noticeably the Emotion Engine), it's not the case of more recent models.

Only the very first couple models close to launch did, and none of those made it to Europe. It didn't take long for backwards compatibility to be replaced by emulation software. And those quickly got replaced by models that officially aren't backwards compatible at all.
BenoitRen

Postby spookeydonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm

It would take a bit of work. If ur on firmware 3,55 or below u can do custom firmware easily. I very highly doubt the patch could be applied to the pen version easily. Just use an emulator or better yet pick up a chewap ps2 and figure out how to load backups its not hard, u just need Google a bit
spookeydonkey
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:46 am

Missed this information.

Did they really released them? I might check tonight to see. It would be cool to try to get the french patch works on the PS3 version xD (I have a custom firmware to do some tests).

@Tryphon : PS2 Games on PSN works on every PS3 as they are emulated games. Someone even released the emulator as a standalone program.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 am

Okay, they have released them, 840 yens each. I ordered a 1000 yens prepaid card online and I should get it for tonight.

Game size is 125MB (original PS2 one is approximativemt 102MB).

If it's like the other ps2 classics, it'll just be an ISO of the game bundled with an emulator, and in that case, it should be pretty easy to use the translation on it (theorically, it would just require to replace the iso with the translated one).

If it works, though, I won't offer to download the ps3 iso like we did for the ps2 version, you would have to buy the game on the psn then patch your own game with the translation.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Return to Fan stuff