From Lodoss to Grancrest: The D&D Game That Became an Anime

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

From Lodoss to Grancrest: The D&D Game That Became an Anime

Postby Kaihaku » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm

I always thought Lodoss Wars felt like it had tabletop roots... Fun to read confirmation that that was the case. I don't watch anime regularly anymore but I'll have to check out Grancrest next time I'm in the mood.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-featur ... e-an-anime
If you're a long-time anime fan, you probably did a bit of a double-take at this season's Record of Grancrest War. The title, and the setup, are more than a little like the now-classic Record of Lodoss War. And for good reason: both are the creation of writer Ryo Mizuno, and both -- while in different universes -- have a similar adventure flavor to them.

But there's one more thing they have in common: they're both built up from tabletop campaigns. Because not only is Mizuno a writer, he's also an RPG developer and a Dungeon Master. With that in mind, let's dive back into the earliest history of Record of Lodoss War: past Spark, past Parn and Deedlit, all the way back to a D&D game back in the mid-1980s.
The Once and Future Kai
"An droid, the droid -- whatever"
Kaihaku
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Re: From Lodoss to Grancrest: The D&D Game That Became an An

Postby Nelson Zemlak » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 am

Record of Lodoss War was the first anime I ever saw. To this day, it's still one of my favorites. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and directing me toward Grancrest ... which definitely became a priority for me to watch.
Nelson Zemlak
Pinchant
Pinchant

Return to Anime / Manga