Post your favorite anime(s)!

Any discussions related to anime/manga that you wish to share, or curious to know

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:58 am

Where are all the Robotech fans! How could you people forget one of the greatest anime's of all time and the only one in the Guiness Book of World Records?!<p>I am going to cry..<p>Here are mine in order:<p>1) Robotech<br>2) Voltron<br>3) Big-O<br>4) Record of Lodoss war OVA<br>5) Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040<br>6) Shamanic Princess<br>7) Those who hunt elves<br>8) Md Geist<br>9) Genocyber<br>
Lord Khyron

Postby LaconianShot » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:57 am

I really liked Spirited Away...but Princess Mononoke still reigns. I don't have much access to anime, and what I can view (in the movie store) only has incomplete sets, so I don't even attempt to try to figure out the parts before, so they remain unwatched...
LaconianShot

Postby ill-intent » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:32 am

Robotech......... unfortunately, as a viewer of many shows in their original japanese back when--or close to when--they came out, (Robotech, a.k.a. Macross and Mospeada) I can't say I liked "Robotech". I've watched the english version and what plot changes they made from the japanese (and there are MANY) I cannot stand. Not that I don't like some of that series. Mospeada (whatever they called the third part with the motor bikes in english) was cool. I've also seen the first 3 episodes of Macross Zero and 1 and 2 were nice (3 sucked). <p> As I said, Macross Plus is awsome. (that's part of it)
ill-intent

Postby Mizehrith » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:01 am

Oh, shoot! I forgot to mention Tatoon Master; that one was quite entertaining.
Mizehrith

Postby Goldark » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:28 pm

It's been so long since I watched something animated, but it's just that I don't watch the TV anymore AND I don't have the money to afford the DVDs.<p>Still I enjoyed a lot of anime thru my life, here's some (I'll use original names):<p>Uruseiyatsura<br>Record of Lodoss War (OVA, damn, I even played a 2 years long RPG campaing!)<br>Maison Ikkoku<br>Excel Saga (Funniest ever)<br>Hokuto No Ken<br>Mirai Shonen Conan (A very old Miyazaki Tv series)<br>Saint Seiya<br>Tenchi Muiyo!<p>That's all I can remember at the moment.
Goldark

Postby Benoit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:21 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by ill-intent</i><p> Robotech......... unfortunately, as a viewer of many shows in their original japanese back when--or close to when--they came out, (Robotech, a.k.a. Macross and Mospeada) I can't say I liked "Robotech". I've watched the english version and what plot changes they made from the japanese (and there are MANY) I cannot stand. Not that I don't like some of that series. Mospeada (whatever they called the third part with the motor bikes in english) was cool. I've also seen the first 3 episodes of Macross Zero and 1 and 2 were nice (3 sucked). <p> As I said, Macross Plus is awsome. (that's part of it)<br></blockquote><br>*scratches Robotech from his list of "anime-to-watch"*<br>I'll wait for a good translation... not that I excpect there to be one in the near future.
Benoit

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:31 am

Andrew, you are wrong. THe differences in Macross Saga and the original Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross series are few.<p>I've watched the AnimeEgo boxed set of the original Macross series, And comparing it to Robotech, Few changes were made.<p>No where in the original MACROSS does it relate to protoculture as a earlier civilization, That is Macross Plus, DYRL and Flashback.<p>One of the changes Robotech made was the inclusion of THE MASTERS from Southern Cross into several episodes to tie the two series together.<p>Everything is kept the same, Dialogue wise and even Khyron's lines are the same. There might be a inclusion of a shorter swear word which fits the situation better.<p>The other major change is a Sdf-2 in addition to the Sdf-1 in the lake.<p>There were no Meltrandi in SDF:M, That was in DYRL and subsequescent spinoffs.<p>I fear you are confusing the DYRL, Macross 2, Plus and 7 with SDF:M.<p>Now the change I agree with is in Force of Arms using "WE WILL WIN" instead of the crappy Minmei japanese songs. I mean, My god! The songs are horrible to put to a battle. "We Will Win" sounds much better and it makes the battle more moving.<p>We will win fits 1 Dimensional Fortress versus 5 million Zentraedi Ships.<p>And no matter what they say, These VA"s who did Robotech are still used and are amongst some of the BEST Va's there. Here is a list of them:<p>Michael Mcconaheigh, Wendee Lee, Richard Epcar, Mike Reynolds, Tony Oliver, Eddie Frierson, Dan Woren, Rober Axelrod, Steve Kramer, Reba West(Rebeckah Fordstadt), Cam Clarke(Jimmy Flinders), Barbara Goodson and last but no least.. GREG SNEGOFF, Voice of Khyron! ^_^<p>[size=small][Edit by Lord Khyron on [TIME]1078191580[/TIME]][/size]
Lord Khyron

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:35 am

And Benoit, you can hardly not see Robotech for a dub made for it in 1984. That was before you were even born. <p>You want a crappy dub, Watch DBZ x.x<p>(if this posted twice, forgive me. I was having problems with IE))
Lord Khyron

Postby SheWren » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:59 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lord Khyron</i><br>(if this posted twice, forgive me. I was having problems with IE))<br></blockquote><br>Pass to Mozilla...1000 years in advance.<p>Anyway, my Favourite (not in order):<p><b>Every Gundam until F91</b> , but ZZ is a little stupid.<br>Every <b>Macross</b> , not Robotech, but 7 Thrash.<br>Almost every work from Miyazaki sensei and Studio Ghibli.<br>Many robo-series from Sunrise.<br>Neon Genesis Evangelion.<br>To many to write every title: I've been watching <i>anime</i> since '79/'80, or even earlier...<p>[size=small][Edit by SheWren on [TIME]1078235989[/TIME]][/size]
SheWren

Postby Siren » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:12 pm

I, like Laconian Shot, have very little access to anime as well, but here goes my list.<p>Princess Mononoke<br>The Animatrix<br>Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz<br>Spirited Away<br>Legend of Escaflowne (it didn't do well in the US but it was well recieved in Canada)<p>I only have access to ones that did very well in North America, therefore at the rental stores or on TV (nope, don't have an anime channel). But rental stores do not have a large enough library of anime for me to experience other than mainstream (for North America) anime. <p>
Siren

Postby Benoit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:07 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lord Khyron</i><p>And Benoit, you can hardly not see Robotech for a dub made for it in 1984. That was before you were even born. <br></blockquote><br>I don't like plot changes.<br><blockquote><br>You want a crappy dub, Watch DBZ x.x<p>(if this posted twice, forgive me. I was having problems with IE))<br></blockquote><br>The English dub is bad, but the French one, which I watched, isn't. :D
Benoit

Postby LaconianShot » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:02 am

How could I forget Legend of Escaflowne! That was the single best anime I have ever watched! Ummm...I don't think many people in America have seen it...FOX took it off the air within 3 weeks and I don't believe it's been on any other station...in Canada it was run in it's entirety several times on YTV, but I don't think it's on much anymore. I pride myself with watching every episode ^_^ I once found a series summary of it with Escoflowne the movie, the Japenes version titled "Visions of Escaflowne" and the english "Legend of Escaflowne". I would've bought it...but I didn't have $120 and I was already buying a game. !@#$
LaconianShot

Postby ill-intent » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:11 pm

Escaflowne was cool (not the movie, that tanked even in Japan). But, does anyone here remember Dragon Half?? (and speaking of series that died before they finished) What about RG Veda?<p> (only minor changes to Robotech? The very foundation of the ending of the "invid invasion"/Mospeada was changed.....learned and grew from humanity my...uh, eye!)
ill-intent

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:16 pm

If you would notice, Most people have never seen Mospeada and the only ending that matters is<br>Scott Bernard going off to find other survivors. <p>He left in Robotech to find survivors of the Sdf-3, He leaves in Mospeada to find survivors from <br>the other fleets.<p>The INbit left in both cases to find a safer place to live.<p>If you remember, The Regiss had two choices: FLEE or Stay and be eradicated by Neutron S missiles.<p>The missiles would have made Earth inhabitable and the Inbit would not be able to survive.<p>And recall that the fleet DID LAUNCH the Neutron S-missiles.<p>It took all the regiss' energy to flee the planet. When faced with destruction, you flee.<p>((I use Regiss because I can't remember the original Japanese name))<br>((Also when you add 3 unrelated series together, Changes must be made. Small subtle changes. I watched <br>Macross 36 episode subtitled digitally restored by animeego and I couldn't stand it without footage of the Masters like Robotech had. In the original macross, It was a drinking party where the Master's footage was. That isn't as exciting.))<p>Robotech is a epic story about Earth's survival after 3 halocausts and the goal of humanity to survive.<p>That is it's power, It's epic story. <p>Changes and edits do not change the power of it.
Lord Khyron

Postby SkymanDr » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:40 pm

Dargon Half! Now that's a definite favourite, how could I forget!<p>"Pappara-funi-funi, pappara-hoe-hoe, ..." :D
SkymanDr

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga