New PSU info from a Jap Mag

Discussions about Phantasy Star Universe

Postby Mage1 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:17 am

I bought a multi tap... I lost it.<p>Zubon! You, are hiding!
Mage1

Postby Benoit » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:58 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Zubon</i><p>You seem too hung up on the system. I don't care how the plastic box is designed, I care what games it has.</blockquote><br>I'm not talking about the exterior, but rather the interior. The PS2 isn't even more powerful than the Dreamcast. The PS2 doesn't have that much video RAM, and has some bad BUS ports running to the CPU.<p>When the PS2 came out, it was very difficult to program for, and Sony wouldn't offer help. The first games weren't that impressive, yet people still bought the console because of the PSX' success, disregarding its BIIIG price. It costed 550+ EUR when it came out here!<p>Nowadays, there are good games on it, but that's thanks to the PlayStation fanboys, not because the console is great. Also, most of the games are sequels, sequels, sequels. That's the PlayStation stands for. There's a load of crappy games as well.<p>As for Sony ruining the video game industry, yes it does.<p>Before Sony came to the market, it was about the games. People made their own decisions based on friends that had a console and the games. Gamers would read video game magazines to get their info.<p>When Sony entered the market, it didn't want just the gamers to know about its console. It wanted EVERYONE to know. That was the start of a major shift in the video game industry. The focus was given to heavy advertising.<p>Nowadays, it's not the game itself that sells it, but the advertising. People will buy what is heavily advertised. The advertising brought many common people who know nothing about games to the scene. A lot of these people play games just because it's "cool", and they think it makes them look good.<p>This has extended to the PC market, where MMORPGs are now full of morons, wanting to be super strong and/or having fun by ruining other people's game.<p>And then I haven't even started yet on the dirty things that Sony did.
Benoit

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:05 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>I'm not talking about the exterior, but rather the interior. The PS2 isn't even more powerful than the Dreamcast. The PS2 doesn't have that much video RAM, and has some bad BUS ports running to the CPU.<br></blockquote><p>I'll say this one last time. The additional 4 mb of vram in the dreamcast is for VGA support only! The PS2 lacks that and therefore cannot support the 640x480 vga mode. And the PS2 is more powerful, and as a final example the best looking ps2 game, God of war, looks ten times better and runs ten times smoother than Sega's Shenmue 2! Still manage to not believe me then take to the OT forum or pm me. I do not care.<p>Now please get back to on topic!<br><p>[size=small][Edit by HuBBsDoctor on [TIME]1113883569[/TIME]][/size]
HuBBsDoctor

Postby Benoit » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:06 pm

I find it hard to believe that they would put 4 MB extra RAM just for VGA support.<p>You can't use your example, because the Dreamcast never was long enough commercially supported to use its full potential. Ten times is also an unrealistic multiplier, especially given Shenmue 2's graphical greatness.<p>No, slow-downs in Shenmue 2 don't count. Early games and some recent games have slowdowns too, even though they don't use the full potential of the PS2.<p>If you do consider them to be the pinnacle of each console, consider this:<br>the recent games almost overload the PS2, which becomes really hot. Thank the bad design.<br> <blockquote>I do not care.</blockquote><br>If you didn't, you wouldn't have replied.
Benoit

Postby HuBBsDoctor » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:55 pm

The "I do not care" was in reference to either taking the conversation to the OT or PM'ing me because I don't care if you PM me or take it to the OT.
HuBBsDoctor

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star Universe