Woohoo! Drivable vehicles! whee! ^.^

Discussions about Phantasy Star Universe

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Priston Tale is a MMORPG that isn't Mainstream. There is no crafting/Building at all.<p>Eng.pristontale.com<p>And yet, it's one of the most popular English and Korean. <p>Biosfear is also the same way. <br><p>[size=small][Edit by Lord Khyron on [TIME]1113431971[/TIME]][/size]
Lord Khyron

Postby Zubon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:02 pm

Hmm, oddly I'd like a mainstream MMORPG. That way I can meet the kinds of people I meet in real life rather than loads of power-levelling geeks and pent up little 14 year old kids who only have a life as an online tailor. <p>Most of theses MMORPGs attact only a very small and similar cross-section of the population, maybe something more mainstream would attract more of a variety of people, and people with interests beyond all the traditional hobbies of people who tend to play MM games.<p>Still, I wouldn't call PS mainstream, not truly mainstream. Sure, it's more famous than an obscure home-coded MMORPG that only has 500 people playing, but in terms of the GTA "everyone has a copy, even people who don't like games" style mainstream...well, it's fortunately lacking. :)
Zubon

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:07 pm

I think that what many people are really concerned about is that PSU will not be in any way remarkable. Previous Phantasy Star games, even the original PSO, were breakthrough games which did something new and exciting and had quite an impact on the genre.<p>With a FFX-esque offline game combined with an upgraded PSO online mode, can PSU be any bit revolutionary?
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby WhiteYoshi86 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:42 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Dorrinal Blackmantle</i><p>I think that what many people are really concerned about is that PSU will not be in any way remarkable. Previous Phantasy Star games, even the original PSO, were breakthrough games which did something new and exciting and had quite an impact on the genre.<p>With a FFX-esque offline game combined with an upgraded PSO online mode, can PSU be any bit revolutionary?<br></blockquote><p>Well said. But it's hard for a company to revolutionize the same genre twice. Mario 64 revolutonized platforming and 3d roaming, and Nintendo hasnt been able to do it again, and I cant think of any company that revolutioned a genre twice *at least at the moment*. Peoples expectations cant be to high, creating games, especially now-a-days, arent easy, much less make a game that 'revolutionizes'.<p>In any case, its still to early to make any rash judgments.<br>
WhiteYoshi86

Postby Dorrinal Blackmantle » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Yes, there's nothing wrong with the desire for a breakthrough game. I doubt that PSU will be that kind of game, but it doesn't bother me. What should be really important to us (the players) is that the game is fun.
Dorrinal Blackmantle

Postby Zubon » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Revolutionary, in the sense of a videogame, is really just a point of view thing. I mean, yeah I know how PS1 revolutionised RPGs and made FF1 seem like a waste of pixels, but to someone playing it now it just looks like an old RPG with simple gameplay and plinky music.<p>Since we all know a lot about videogames/RPGs/PS, and are the sorts of people who could be bothered to go onto forums to discuss them, it's going to be hard to shock us. To a lot of people a games good if it's good and it's as simple as that.<p>Kinda like with music, come to think of it. Bands like the Pixies who invented the quiet verse, LOUD chorus thing aren't as popular as bands like Destiny's Child or the Spice Girls in the UK, circa 1997-ish, but are far more important (and better) but most people don't give a damn. I had to get used to that when I went to college and everyone thought their bands were important and revolutionary and I was into the Velvet Underground who really did revolutionise music...So they all used to seem pretty lame to me. <p>So, what I'm saying, albeit in a long, drawn-out way, is that PSU may be like a outstanding modern band, that is good but not half as revolutionary as they think; PS1-4 and PSO are like obscure bands that really did change things but no one cares anymore. <br>Though, you have to think that there's a reason why all the revolutionary bands/films/games happened so long ago: There was less gone before so everything was revolutionary. PS1 by modern standards is horribly simple with next to no storyline and underdeveloped characters, but next to other RPGs in it's time, it kicked ass.<p>When the first human wiped their ass on a leaf it was revolutionary (sanitation, and the forerunner of toilet paper) but now if you wipe your ass on a leaf your just disgusting. :D
Zubon

Postby WhiteYoshi86 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:46 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Zubon</i><br>When the first human wiped their ass on a leaf it was revolutionary (sanitation, and the forerunner of toilet paper) but now if you wipe your ass on a leaf your just disgusting. :D <br></blockquote><p>Thats an interesting way to put it, lmao
WhiteYoshi86

Postby FOrave » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:33 pm

Lord Khyron, why are you negative about there being vehicles? I think that its a great idea and instead of picking out little flaws and things about other games.
FOrave

Postby Redeemer » Mon May 09, 2005 4:23 pm

Whoo!! VEHICLES!! Now I can around screaming this "Rahahahahahah! Silly worms, I crush you like chinese protestor!!!!" Yes, I know that was a horrible comment as I am a horrible person, but I find it amusing :D <p>Does the game have to be revolutionary? Not every game has to be revolutionary, it doesn't have to add yet more stuff to a game genre thats currently loaded to the teeth. Its got its own aspect of the MMORPG world, and thats the entire Phantasy Star aspect. If this game is released in the US, I will proceed to bug my dad into buying a better computer to play it. I think its a great idea, essentially taking the limited online play of PSO, and giving players a similar game style, yet a far more expansive world to those who enjoy that particular style. Im all for it. Some may like limited play, others like myself, not. I can't wait to see more.
Redeemer

Postby voxie » Sun May 29, 2005 9:15 pm

I don't play any other MMORPG except PSO, the rest mean nothng to me. No comparing, just loving PSO for what it is. Highly recommended btw... ;)
voxie

Postby Benoit » Sun May 29, 2005 10:45 pm

Eh, that would mean that you don't play any MMORPG at all, since PSO isn't one. :p
Benoit

Postby voxie » Mon May 30, 2005 12:18 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>Eh, that would mean that you don't play any MMORPG at all, since PSO isn't one. :p <br></blockquote><p>Oh? ~0 But it stands for 'Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game' right? Wouldn't PSO/PSU be just that? ~0
voxie

Postby Del_Ian » Mon May 30, 2005 2:20 am

PSO isn't massively multiplayer. XP It's a 4-player game, period.<p>PSO has a certain naive charm, but honestly, as a game it stinks. A miserably disjointed, cobbled together, contradictory storyline slapped on top of a simplistic, dated game. That it manages to be fun despite it's myriad flaws is a testament to the fact that somewhere, somehow, amidst the mess, ST still got something in it RIGHT.<p>PSU will probably end up with a similar feel, if you ask me. From what I've seen so far I'm not that terribly impressed... But I at least have enough faith in the developers to think that, while flawed, it will still be a good time.<p>...Now what pisses me off is that they're turning the PS name into the FF name. One of the best things throughout my playing of PSIV has been the fact that the world actually has a history and that the series is set in a continuing world. PSO's half-assed pseudo-links to that have actually started to piss me off, and PSU's once again using yet ANOTHER world irks me to no end. Ooh, except this time the system is Algol-like! Oh and how cute, I've already seen a screenshot with yet another version of that one familiar symbol. I'm sure there'll even be [S]chocobos[/S]rappies! But that doesn't make it PS. -_-<p>With the Final Fantasy series, it doesn't bug me that they slap the name on a billion similar-yet-unrelated games, because the FFverse has never had any continuity, FFX-2 aside. Whereas the PS universe has. Except now they're turning it into FF... Blargh! Blargh I say!
Del_Ian

Postby Coyote-X » Mon May 30, 2005 8:13 am

Hiya, I'm new but I've been coming to this site for a while now. It's got great fanart, icons, all that good stuff. So I finally stumbled my way into the forum, and the first thing I see is this article.<p>So, I agree with Del_Ian. PSO as it stands is a great memorable game, I think, but it's got some serious flaws and some serious outdated stuff to it. Saying it's revolutionary to me is a slap in the face to titles like the Diablo series for the PC, which was one of the first truly popular online RPG's. (Face it, they all play like MUDs though.)<p>I really, really love PSO. But in my opinion, Diablo I and II are superior in nearly every way except for the character generation. They have more weapons, more story, most changable appearance (armor shows, helms show, weapons and shields show, and they change colors when you alter their properties to do elemental damage.).<p>I've always been amazed at the amount of people that I meet that have never played those, and thus have the impression that PSO really changed the genre in any real way. It was all done before, and long before, on the PC. PSO's real strength is its incredibly flexible character generation and the fact... To put it bluntly, that you can create anime and video game characters or at least simulate them. Which is really, really great. It really is. That's my absolute /favorite/ aspect of PSO.<p>I'll also give it that it was the first (to my knowledge) online console RPG. And it is fun. The graphics are and always will be beautiful and colorful. The cut scenes and music (what I've seen, anyway) are top notch.<p>What I see in PSU, so that I even stay remotely on topic, is that Sega Team has taken everything I liked about PSO, and then /fixed/ the things that I didn't like. The horrible auto targeting, (yes, I want to shoot the BOX, not the guy that's coming right at me, is what I've heard every time I introduce a new player to the game) the bad camera angles, the hacking. The lack of a story. Etc. So while it may not be revolutionary, my hope is basically that in PSU I can find another Diablo... If anybody gets what I'm saying. I'm sure there's got to be someone here who's played it.<p>The only downside that I can see so far (without having it hands on, of course) is the fact that you have to pay for it. Being a mostly PC gamer, I'm not used to having to pay for online mode, but the new weekly quests, items, and that sort of thing would make it worth it to me. If Sega Team keeps the promises that I percieve to have been made, then you will indeed find me online. :)
Coyote-X

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star Universe