why?

Discussions about Phantasy Star Universe

why?

Postby Forave » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 pm

why the switch from GC to PS2? why I ask?
Forave

why?

Postby Dr_Odin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:51 pm

My guess might be that PS2 sells more.. but I don't know, just guessing.
Dr_Odin

why?

Postby Etra McGarl » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:10 pm

Yeah there a larger group of gamers who own a Ps2 then GC hence why it has so many different types of games and more or less why They put Psu on it, GC is kinda going downhill as of late.
Etra McGarl

why?

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:08 am

PSU will never be as great as it's PC counterpart version.<p>Not even a high storage memory card can keep up with constant patches and updates.<p>PS 2 version will have to be done like the DC was. There was PSO ver 1, then ver 2 with ultimate. PSU will have to have repeated releases..<p>And you'll have to buy every release.<p>Sony isn't supporting the HD, and ST won't use it. <p>Best bet is to get it for pc.. Though if you look at the latest screencaps.. THEY GO DOWNHILL. I've seen better stuff on PSO episode 1 for DC.
Lord Khyron

why?

Postby Tails99 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:32 am

Hopefully, on the PS2, PSU will have a Free online version.
Tails99

why?

Postby Etra McGarl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:13 am

NO i dought it, its more then likelly gonna be pay to play, actually i'm most positive. hehe would be fun if it was free though ugg greedy bastards, but its good that we pay, because then the servers can stay open for longer....
Etra McGarl

why?

Postby GroG » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:36 am

Why don't they release PSU on the PS3 ? It's really not a good idea to release it in the end of the PS2 era. Not to mention the graphics on the new console. Let's hope it eights up on gameplay then, otherwise I could have waited longer for a super new phantasy star game.
GroG

why?

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:50 am

are you kidding? Look at the newer screenshots on the japanese page..<p>the graphic quality is going downhill fast.<p>Do you want that crappy graphics on a PS3 game?<p>I've seen better graphics on DC PSO!
Lord Khyron

why?

Postby Forave » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:03 am

lol PS3 isnt as good as it looks. this "best nex-gen system" is all talk. LONG LIVE NINTENDO!!! (microsoft can be spared on the account of new Halo 2 levels and Bill Gates richness) then again it does look good on PS2 but if it was on PS3 it would be like the first PS2 games (bad graphics)
Forave

why?

Postby GroG » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 am

That's why I would want to wait longer, why not make it serious? PS3 is much more powerful than PS2, so they should make the game so after. Better graphics :)
GroG

why?

Postby DaveGeorge » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:28 pm

I don't believe that a game gets better just because it has better graphics, I hardly play any "new" games at all because most of them are only graphical show-offs without "soul".<p>Sure eye-candy is nice but I rate gameplay as a much higher factor for a good game. Personally I will not play PSU online, I would rather experience a new PS-game by myself than with a bunch of other guys (but that's just me). PSO was a total waste of time IMO. GameCube or PS2 it doesn't really matter for me since I have both systems, but I believe Nintendo could have needed the support... :(
DaveGeorge

why?

Postby Parn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lord Khyron</i><br>I've seen better graphics on DC PSO!<br></blockquote><p>Pfff... whatever. The scale of PSU is so much larger than PSO in every department.<p>Image<br>Hey guys, let's group up!<p>Image<br>Gee, yeah... Phantasy Star Online sure takes the cake. Let's ignore the considerably higher polygon count on the characters in PSU and the larger number of characters on screen, period.<p>Image<br>Take that, Delsaber!<p>Image<br>PSU's characters have individual fingers, and the environments tend to be considerably less cramped. Limbs look like they're part of the body, instead of attached action-figure arms and legs.<p>Image<br>Pioneer 2, whooooooo! Can explore the entirety in less than 2 minutes!<p>Image<br>PSO sure as hell never had that kind of draw distance.<p>Image<br>Whoo, look at the quality of that foilage!<p>Image<br>Ultimate mode forest sure as hell never had a sky that pretty. And if you watch some actual recorded gameplay footage (read: not trailers), you'll see how the sky is rendered... it's pretty damned nice. It puts Final Fantasy XI to shame.<p>Sorry, but PSU blows PSO out of the water when it comes to graphics. Sure, there are some rather odd looking screens like this:<p>Image<br>But I'm willing to bet this looks pretty sweet in motion. The effect reminds me of the one in Gureberk Tower on Dezolis in Phantasy Star IV.<p>Addendum: To respond to the original post, I'd assume it's because GameCube has half-assed online support, on top of their probably not wanting to make a multi-disc game. They're including voice acting and movies, and GameCube discs won't be adequate to hold all the info they're probably jam packing into this release.<p>[size=small][Edit by Parn on [TIME]1121376772[/TIME]][/size]
Parn

why?

Postby Etra McGarl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:30 am

WOW.....I want PSU now :'( <br>But yes of coarse its going to be better then PSO it was made with better equipment and in a newer age of gaming. As for this hole PS2 deleima i don't mind it, if it boils down to it i'll be getting it for PC even if the graphics are dumbed down, as i beleive Lord K said.
Etra McGarl

why?

Postby Lord Khyron » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Do I really need to show you the LATEST Screenshots? Where the pictures go downhill?<br>It's listed on the PSuniverse site. Go check it out.<p>You're showing Early pictures. Watch the later ones, especially the glasses dude, and the RELICS under story.<p>That is going downhill<p>I can easily see the blockiness and the pixelation in the fighting screencaps. I don't see why you can't..
Lord Khyron

why?

Postby Parn » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:02 am

Blockiness and pixelation? You mean like this?<p>Image<br>Yeah, PSO characters look REAL sharp when up close.<p>Image<br>What's this about pixelation and blockiness?<p>You seem to have some selective memory. I see pixelation and blockiness in some PSU shots, sure. And I can assure you that if you zoomed into the characters faces that close for PSO, you'd have even UGLIER graphical issues. I can't believe you're trying to argue this issue, it's absolutely absurd.
Parn

Next

Return to Phantasy Star Universe