Sonic Team reveals: six people in a team for PSU.

Discussions about Phantasy Star Universe

Postby Parn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:20 pm

"Sega revealed that Phantasy Star Universe will support up to 6 players online, the game is set to release in Japan this winter."<p>Straight from The Magic Box.<p>So basically, up to 100 people in town to chat and trade and form parties, and you can form up a party of six people like in PSO, and you go adventuring. It's going to be like playing Final Fantasy XI, except you cut out all the bullcrap and time-wasting and go straight to the fun.<p>Hear that Khyron? Never doubt me. I am always right. =)
Parn

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:00 am

Just wait. You'll see that you won't be the only one on the planet you choose. <p>6 people partying is standard on alot of Korean/japanese MMORPG's.<p>Oh, there will be pleny of bullcrap, you can bet on that. ^^<br>
Lord Khyron

Postby Parn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:25 am

This game is designed from the ground up to be an enhanced Phantasy Star Online for online mode. Even Guild Wars follows the model. From a programming standpoint alone, what you think will happen is impractical (read: not feasible) given the game's current mechanics and the hardware it is designed for. What, you think they're designing the game so hundreds can be in the same level? You actually think you're going to compete with other people over a couple of monster spawns? Three parties of six argueing and fighting over who gets to fight the boss next? Please. But as always, whatever, Khyron. Just be prepared for "I told you so" when the game ships and I have the import in my hands.<p>[size=small][Edit by Parn on [TIME]1127093289[/TIME]][/size]
Parn

Postby Lord Khyron » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:53 am

Guild Wars follows the model and is a MMORPG..<p>PSU follows the model and is not?<p>That's some flawed reasoning.<p>We shall see, We shall see. If I am wrong, then so be it. I am prepared to be wrong. Are you prepared for me to be right?
Lord Khyron

Postby Parn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:27 am

.....Guild Wars is not a MMORPG.<p>Edit: Ah, here we go. Quote from IGN on early impressions for the game:<p>Guild Wars First Impressions<br>Checking out the MMO that isn't.<br>by Tom McNamara<p>April 29, 2005 - The first thing that needs to be said is that Guild Wars is not an MMO. There's a lot of misunderstanding going around, but GW is an online RPG that blends elements from Diablo-style online multiplayer, while integrating some MMO elements.<p>Check out Gamespot's reviews. Nowhere is it mentioned that Guild Wars is a MMORPG. Guild Wars is an online RPG, sure. But it does not fit the bill as a MMORPG. World of Warcraft fits, Ultima Online fits, and even Priston Tale does. The biggest factor is whether the majority of the game world is static and can have any semblence of players meeting with each other.<p>Oh and, I don't have to prepare to be wrong, because I know what I'm talking about. PSU's online mode is nothing more than the offline levels being available for multiplayer. They're being designed with a small number of party members for offline mode, so it is absolutely absurd to think they're going to have the online mode accomodate for a hundred players in the same areas. Come on.<p>[size=small][Edit by Parn on [TIME]1127101036[/TIME]][/size]
Parn

Postby Saner2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:51 pm

maybe the PSU boxart should include a <b>stamp</b> that says "This is not a MMORPG, Khyron". <p>that would convince him. :) :D
Saner2

Postby Saner2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:53 pm

but from Khyron's point of view , maybe he's part right it's MMORPG cause otherwise this would be like Champions Return to Arms. <p>100s can meet in lobbies so even though no more than 6 can adventure together, there is still that large accessible community out there you can meet before warping to a planet.
Saner2

Postby gm2987 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Ironic that my 666 post count is lost on this topic... Ironic because... well because I said so >:D<p>Parn - I like you, your as arrogant as I am >:D<p>Interesting news, 6 people would be more interesting to play with then 4 at least. Safety in numbers all of that jazz...
gm2987

Postby Saner2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:49 pm

imagine 6 players in a 6-seat hovercar!! ^_^ <p>or all on hoverboards or other vehicles at once!! ^_^ <p>yeah!!!!!! yeah!!!!! ^___^
Saner2

Return to Phantasy Star Universe