Is this possible?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Is this possible?

Postby etony33 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:39 am

I have beaten Medusa before without first getting the Mirror Shield. That's absolutely doable.

What I am wondering is this: would it be possible to beat Medusa as soon as you get Noah? I mean, you could still grind, but no equipment upgrades. So, your equipment would look like this:

Alis:
CRC.SWD
ZIR.ARMR (or DMD.ARMR)
CRC.SLD

Myau:
IRN.FANG
THCK.FUR

Odin:
NEEDLGUN
ZIR.ARMR
CRC.SLD

Noah:
SHT.SWD
WHT.MANT

It would be extremely difficult to get to the top of the tower (even at a high level) with that equipment. The lack of defense would not matter at all in the battle with Medusa, since you get one hit KO'd anyway. The lack of the LASR.GUN would hurt big time, though. Noah's WIND would be your heavy hitter. Alis would be using ROPE every turn.

You need favorable RNG to even do it with good equipment (sans ths MIRR.SLD of course). Could it be done with the inferior equipment? If so, what's the lowsst level it could be done?
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Is this possible?

Postby DarkMyau » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:15 am

With a lot of burgers, you could get to the top by just running from every fight.

Beating Madusa though would be dumb luck.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby MrStarbird » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 am

Without the Mirror Shield, you would have to deal 200 damage to Medusa in under 4 turns, as she would paralyze one member per turn with her attack.

RNG would really have to be by your side if you wanted to low-gear her, especially with no Laser Gun. Noah doesn't learn Wind until Level 12 and at that level he could get 4 casts off if his MP was full, so that would be close to 120 damage there providing he gets first turn and Medusa does NOT target him. Alis would probably be at a similar level but at max would only be able to get 3 casts off of Fire, putting her damage at about 50-60 and you would have to hope that she gets targeted LAST by Medusa.

So this would leave 20 damage to split between Odin and Myau. Myau may possibly be able to deal enough damage, but without knowing the damage formula and how much defense Medusa has, but I would assume at minimum, between Odin and Myau you would be able to get at least 10 HP for one turn with that equipment, and providing that Myau doesn't miss.

So yeah, with good luck, I think it would be possible to defeat Medusa without the Mirror Shield at level 12. Without Wind and at that gear given, there is just no way to deal enough DPT to finish her off before she finishes you off, and even then you still have to open that Noah hits before Medusa every turn and doesn't get hit by Medusa.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Not necessarily four turns. Rope works on Medusa, so you could hypothetically get through it completely untouched.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 am

True, but again you have to rely on Rope hitting and Medusa not breaking out and attacking in the same turn. Four turn burst damage would probably still be the most reliable of a low-level strat in my opinion, but the Rope strat could work too. Thankfully you can save anywhere.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 pm

It takes one full turn to remove the rope, though, so there's no way Medusa will attack in the turn after getting tied up.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:02 pm

With great luck, why not ! As someone has explained, if the levels of the characters are high and with all the best weapon (at this time of the game) maybe it's possible.
But there is so many things that must be in your favour (like strike the first, or medusa must not petrify Ljutz first, etc...) that I don't think I'll try it persoonaly ! Did someone has already tried it before ?
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 am

Yes. Without the mirror shield, it's definitely best to use ROPE every turn.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:12 am

I'll try to take an old save not far from Medusa and try theRope spell to see if it's effective (but with the Mirrior shield as I'm sure I don't have a save slot with my characters without the shield) :)
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 am

I can confirm that Rope is effective in that battle.

If you want, go buy a Laser Shield and give it to Odin.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby myau56 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes, the Laser Shield can be a good solution ! If you have the time not to be changed in stone ! ;)
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Phantasy Star