Why does the governor have a labyrinth under his mansion?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Why does the governor have a labyrinth under his mansion?

Postby etony33 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Is it a bomb fallout shelter or something? Was it built by Dark Force? I've never really figured that out.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Why does the governor have a labyrinth under his mansion

Postby The PS Logo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:10 am

I'm gonna guess it was created by Dark Force, since after it's beaten it completely vanishes.
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby myau56 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Hard to tell in fact, but the question is nice to ask ! Maybe by the Governor_General, in case of an attack or something like that ? That is the best explanation for me but I can't be certain at 100% ! :)
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 am

He's the friggin' Governor of Motavia, and much like any king, they have to have some sort of dungeon beneath their palace. That's RPG Trope #8675309 :p
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 am

I've forgotten, about the trope RPG list ! Maybe there is no explanation at all ? ;)
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Doctor Hooves » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Possibly it was kept a dungeon that's no longer in use.

You may also want to read this journal, as it also explores into a lot of questionable stuff in the classic Phantasy Star series.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Doctor Hooves » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Oh, yeah, forgot the link, lol: http://ladyabaxa.livejournal.com/95401.html
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:39 am

In regards to the Canceller and the Control Key, it's actually a lot simpler than he's making it out to be, I think.

The Control Key disappears from your inventory when you get the Land Rover. The Canceller disappears from your inventory when you get the Ice Digger. The Eclipse Torch disappears from your inventory when you get the Hydrofoil. They're there as placeholder items to ensure you have an open spot for the vehicles.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah, but it still is kinda fun to speculate on the topic.

I mean, the Japanese version of PSIV wasn't fully completed, like that cutscene with the Garuberk Tower, so it would be interesting for something like a location having more backstory that wasn't in the game, or a possibility that an item had to be fetched somewhere else.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby MrStarbird » Sat May 13, 2017 6:53 am

Interesting side note since you mentioned the placeholder items for the vehicles, there is actually a glitch achieved through hacking (found it accidentally during one of my older builds in the randomizer). If there is a different item in the Eclipse Torch chest and your inventory is full, after you fight Lashiec the game will attempt to put the Eclipse Torch into your inventory, but it will add it into Slot 41 (you only have 40 slots to begin with). Slot 41 is basically the first of 3 bytes for Meseta, so this changes how much Meseta you have to the millions. Sell any item and your meseta will be maxed out.

I doubt it's possible to do it any other way (though it would make the game a bit faster to run), but the Eclipse Torch is the ONLY item in the game where the game forces an item into your inventory outside of having you pick it up in a chest. Technically, you get the Eclipse Torch, the game removes that item so you cannot use it in battle, then gives it back to you after you kill Lashiec. In the glitch I found, it couldn't remove the item that was in the chest, but still tried to give you an Eclipse Torch anyway, overflowing the data onto the next byte.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star