PS2 overtakes PS4 in Japan!

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Benoit » Fri May 14, 2004 3:51 pm

In the remake every dungeon needs a key. Not so in the original. You could wander almost everywhere.<br>You never needed to speak to all the people. I could play through the whole game by talking to only a few people.
Benoit

Postby zoothe » Fri May 14, 2004 9:10 pm

In the original, though, most of the dungeons you could actually get to early required magic to open them and you don't get that magic until later in the game. It's not like you could go to Baya Malay right off the bat. Also, I don't see how increasing the number of people you have to talk to at all changes the game from open ended to linear. Having to talk to certain people in order to trigger the next sequence in the storyline has always been in RPG like PS. It's always wise in those types of games to talk to anyone and everyone you come across. You're complaining that you have to talk to too many people? That's part of the game! I mean, did you <i>like</i> any of the PS games? That's what they are. If you hate having to talk to people then what's the difference when it comes to how many people you have to talk to? You're going to hate it either way.
zoothe

Postby Siren » Fri May 14, 2004 10:23 pm

<blockquote>Also, I don't see how increasing the number of people you have to talk to at all changes the game from open ended to linear. Having to talk to certain people in order to trigger the next sequence in the storyline has always been in RPG like PS. </blockquote> <p>Yes, but not so prominent. In the other games, their may be only a few people you need to talk to in order to progress the story (ex: Guy telling you about the ware house dungeon key, therefore making its presence, Lutz to give you the Nei Sword, the Sages in PSIII). In the remake, you have to adventure around town to talk to NPC's in the right order. Over and over again. In other PS games you were suggested to talk to everyone, but you didn't have to.
Siren

Postby zoothe » Fri May 14, 2004 11:31 pm

But in that type of game, shouldn't you want to talk to everyone to get all the storyline you can? I agree that it get's quite tedious in newer games where it seems like there are hundreds of NPC's to talk to... But this is the original PS we're talking about here. There aren't all that many people in the towns to talk to to begin with. It's not the chore it's being made out to be.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by zoothe on [TIME]1084577514[/TIME]][/size]
zoothe

Postby Benoit » Sat May 15, 2004 12:55 am

As Siren said, it's because you have to talk to multiple people in the correct order. Of course you should talk to all people, and I know I do. But it becomes a chore when you have to do it over to find the right persons to talk to and in the correct order. Guessing work. It's not fun. Talking to all the people was for getting clues about the world and the story, which wasn't always necessary. Now it is, and it's a chore because of the order.<p>There's also only one or two doors that are closed by magic. All the others require the same Dungeon Key, which you find early in the game.
Benoit

Postby egui » Fri May 21, 2004 12:18 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by zoothe</i><p>Though Palma was much more advanced than Motavia in PS1, Motavia saw a great advance going into part two thanks to Mother Brain. That coupled with that lack of real description on Palma's industrial state always left me feeling that Motavia had surpassed Palma in many ways technologically. Of course, Palmans had to be highly advanced to create the spaceships seen in parts 3 and 4, but it seems that their philosophies were more traditional. And I totally agree that the cut off of communication between the planets over the centuries led to huge cultural differences.<p>The speculation of "starting from scratch" after the wat between Laya & Orakio is quite valid as well.<p>I think that any story that is interesting enough will lead people to speculate on the untold aspects of it. It's also what makes for good sequels.<br></blockquote><p> ;) another thing that's always had me intersted about the whole Palman culture is how they are very clear in their philosophy of technology as a tool.. while Mother Brain touted technology as a way of life. In PSIII the technology is mostly "underground," such as maintenance systems, weather control, life support, engine control... the androids and other "surface contructs" were used as tools for the Palmans (Orakians in this respect) to fight their wars and basically free them to be the philosophers and thinkers.. <br>Motavia was a different aspect of that culture, considering that in PSI it was still being colonized by the Palmans and it's hostile environment made it difficult to really take over the planet. By the time Rolf and company come around, Palmans have already established and reshaped Motavia into what is essentially Palm II. Motavia was no longer Motavia! Palman influence in Algo was great indeed during that time... looking at Motavia in PSII can give you a glimpse of Palma's industrial state at the time. Also by the same token, take a look at how Palmans were trying to colonize Dezoris during PSII (Skure Spaceport, the gas mining incidents, Laconia refining, etc,). Dezoris has always maintained a sense of self-individuality throughout the series, unwilling to let Palman culture invade it as it happened to the Motavians... <p>ok i'm getting way into this. i should stop now...
egui

Postby zoothe » Sat May 22, 2004 5:18 am

I agree. Maybe the Palmans who escaped before their planet was destroyed became fearful of letting technology grow out of their control. This could explain the much more medieval look of PSIII (topside). They may have even blamed themselves for Palma's destruction, thus reverting to a more primitive state as to avoid self-destruction.
zoothe

Postby egui » Tue May 25, 2004 12:00 am

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by zoothe</i><p>I agree. Maybe the Palmans who escaped before their planet was destroyed became fearful of letting technology grow out of their control. This could explain the much more medieval look of PSIII (topside). They may have even blamed themselves for Palma's destruction, thus reverting to a more primitive state as to avoid self-destruction.<br></blockquote><p>intersting take.. i hadn't considered that as a possibility... i always held the thought that the reason for the medieval look in PSIII was a holdover from the royal families of PS1. even if Alis Landale didn't choose to become the Queen, there probably were other royal families at the time (Orakio's and Laya's ancestors, probably). Maybe Alis' refusal of the throne sparked the war that evolved into the wars of PSIII? hm.. a fight for the throne that became a blood feud...? that makes sense to me considering that in PSII - the fact that Rolf is just a government agent, and not a member of royal society (he would have been at least a lord or prince in Palman society), leads one to believe that Alis had to have refused the crown at the end of PS1. just a few of my thoughts...
egui

Postby Ryucross » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:51 am

Thats cool! I'm surprised Nightshade is at the top though
Ryucross

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star