Sega announces new Phantasy Star Game

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby PSLassic » Wed May 12, 2004 10:15 pm

Yes!!<p><blockquote>Today at its E3 booth, Sega revealed it is working on a new Phantasy Star game, an action RPG entitled Phantasy Star Universe.<p>The publisher made no mention of Phantasy Star Universe at its "surprise" press announcement this morning, where the only thing shown was a multiplayer demo of the Matrix Online. It didn't divulge much more information about the early-in-development game at its booth, either, other than show a trailer for Universe. No info on platforms or release date were made available.<p>The Phantasy Star Universe trailer contained only prerendered CG footage starring characters and environments that looked stylistically similar to those seen in the recent Phantasy Star Online games. We observed one character fighting monsters with electro-blades, another animal-like warrior speeding through a desert environment, and a purple-haired girl with some resemblance to Phantasy Star II's Nei as we watched the trailer.<p>The Phantasy Star series began eons ago on the Sega Master System. After four popular single-player RPGs, the series took a multi-year hiatus and then reemerged on the Dreamcast in the form of Phantasy Star Online. Despite the series' recent focus on online play, Sega representatives are mum about whether Universe will center on off- or online play. Since the combat in the game is real-time instead of turn-based, it could go either way.<p>We'll bring you more details on Phantasy Star Universe as soon as they become available. In the meantime, keep an eye on GameSpot for the game's first trailer later today. </blockquote><p>I was hoping that it wasn't going to be an Action RPG, but I guess it is.
PSLassic

Postby Benoit » Wed May 12, 2004 10:22 pm

Not enough information to speculate anything.
Benoit

Postby zoothe » Wed May 12, 2004 10:57 pm

I would love to hope that this new game will be a "real" Phantasy Star game, but I suspect it's just a new MMORPG. Maybe to compete with the likes of World of WarCraft and FFO.
zoothe

Postby Missagh » Wed May 12, 2004 10:59 pm

The trailer has been released, check the PS news section...<p>Best regards,
Missagh

Postby zoothe » Wed May 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Watched the trailer. At this point there's too little to really speculate on (like Benoit said). I think the storyline will be the clincher as to whether it's a real PS game. Either way, I'm sure I'll buy it.<p> :pstar: <p>[size=small][Edit by zoothe on [TIME]1084403802[/TIME]][/size]
zoothe

Postby PSLassic » Wed May 12, 2004 11:47 pm

60 mb! Bah, I have dial-up.
PSLassic

Postby Monocromatico » Wed May 12, 2004 11:49 pm

Oh well, time to pray again for they to not ruin another PS release...
Monocromatico

Postby LaconianShot » Thu May 13, 2004 12:03 am

I'm a little unsure of what to think of this. I don't think it's an MMORPG, or at least I hope not. I want another installment that's not focused on Online play...which kind of distracts from story.<br>I doubt that it will be an MMORPG though, because you can't have an <i>offline</i> MMORPG, and as PSO has shown me, not everyone can afford to play online (in fact, I think that I've seen more offline players).<br>I think I may become a skeptic if they release an MMORPG. I'm praying, Mono.
LaconianShot

Postby Benoit » Thu May 13, 2004 1:31 am

Argh, you have to be a member. Darn it! I hate signing up for stuff! I already have enough accounts as it is.
Benoit

Postby Hades » Thu May 13, 2004 3:26 am

Not enough to speculate, bah!<br>I am going to speculate, based on the name alone that it will be a mmorpg, which is based in more than one planet, unlke PSO where you were just on Ragol.<br>Just my two cents though.
Hades

Postby zoothe » Thu May 13, 2004 4:07 am

Well, the only promising thing I saw (in regards to the game being or not being a MMORPG) was the consistency of characters. I got the feeling of a consitent party throughout the trailer. Really though, the lack of any game play shots still leaves a ton to the imagination. The look screams PSO (to my horror and dismay), yet at this point I think we can only wait and see.
zoothe

Postby zoothe » Thu May 13, 2004 7:25 am

Found this (though it's not much really):<p>http://phantasystaruniverse.com/
zoothe

Postby Wosu » Thu May 13, 2004 11:31 am

I do not think it's will be a MMORPG, Sega clearly said thjat they would stop making online phantasy star after the release of the III one.<p>I am pretty sure it's will be an offline game because of the presentation of the characters in a FMV. (thought I can't be say that I am affirmative at 100% but I really hope it to be a real PS)<p>Moreover we see 3 planetes so we can hope it will be the Algo solar systeme and not only Ragol(in PSO).<p>I don't know for you but this FMV didn't get me the thrill I expected. I don't know why... Anyway I'll just wait until a new information is released to tell.<p>Anyway that's a good news!!<br>
Wosu

Postby Alis » Thu May 13, 2004 1:02 pm

HI! Since nobody on earth is excited about the old - and real Phantasy Star - Here I am! Look at this E3 movie - Sega is talking about Phantasy Star V (with a ?)<p>~0<p>Let start praying. I was playing the first Phantasy Star on my GBA and it's amazing how the game didn't age that much. It's still one of the greatest game I ever played.<p>http://media.cube.ign.com/media/683/683211/vids_1.html?fromint=1
Alis

Postby zoothe » Thu May 13, 2004 2:25 pm

<blockquote>Moreover we see 3 planetes so we can hope it will be the Algo solar systeme and not only Ragol(in PSO). </blockquote> <p>Unless it's a prequel, that won't mean anything since Palma was destroyed in PSII. And since the storyline was kind of wrapped up in PSIV, a prequel would make sense as well. Plus, it'd be kinda cool.
zoothe

Next

Return to Phantasy Star