What would you, the Phannies like to see in the new game?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Cherok » Fri May 14, 2004 8:01 am

What would you like to see from this game? What do you realistically EXPECT Sonic Team to do with this game?<p>Personally, from watching the short flash movie on the new website and from viewing the trailer, I expect that Naka and co. have taken it upon themselves to re-invent and re-birth the series. I can see this being a reality based on the quotes in the flash movie.<p>A quote such as this (ps for the new millenium) should be pretty self-explanitory to us PS buffs, since the proper sub-title for PSIV was "The End of the Millenium". PSIV was wrapped up so nicely that Naka would have more reasons NOT to do a direct sequel, meaning perhaps involving the Algol system, its relative characters and events.<p>1- The obvious reason of the original Phantasy star team not being a reality. To my understanding, a key member that played a large role in the production of PS1,2 and 4 had left Sega in the late nineties for some reason. (correct me if I am wrong here, I think it was Reiko Kodama) Since the similarities to PSO are obvious (A sub-series that of which also has no place in the PS continuity as of yet) It can be assumed that Sonic Team could not have wanted to attempt to replicate an idea from another time, and from another team. <p>2- (Out on a limb here) "The worst part of science is when an ugly fact proves wrong a beautiful theory". <br>This quote can be applied to the PS continuity that the PS fan base has established over the years. There have been numerous fan contributions to trying to discover the secrets of the PS universe; These include Fan fictions, Theories, Manga, accurate translations, fan games and countless other exaples of devoted fans revelling in it's mystery.<br>It would be rather arrogant for a company to 'officially' throw out a wild card and expect fans to swallow it when they have come up with so much of universe on their own.<p>3- Kids now a days dont know PS. Why not give them a chance with a batch full of characters more similar to their RPG contemporaries?<p>I hope PS doesnt get soft. I want to be gritty, rough and whimsical, goddammit!(but not lose its charm, of course!)<p>the NEXT phantasy star is here<br>whole new world
Cherok

Postby zoothe » Fri May 14, 2004 8:32 am

I honestly don't need this game to be directly connected to the original four. I just need it to be a real RPG. I have no problem with visual similarities to PSO. Actually, it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. PSO is popular among a lot of todays gamers and so keeping a visual consistency will help sell the new game to fans of PSO (whether or not it's an MMORPG).<p>Although it's pretty exciting, the flash movie scares me more than anything. The whole "PSO2?... PSV?" thing makes me think they're going to try to combine the two. It'll be the new selling point. It seems that new games always have to have gimmicks. FFChronicles on NGC? Everyone I know who's played the game says it's not all that fun as a single player game. I don't like the idea of relying on other people being there to be able to play the game. Why can't they make a single player PS RPG? I understand that PSO's popularity almost demands that this new game incorporate the online trendy bullsh@#, but it's just going to ruin it for me.<p>But to answer the question posed in the topic title: What do I want to see in this game? Well, I'd like to a group of characters, no more than about 10 that you can choose from (maybe like 5 in a party at one time). I'd like a traditional approach to the RPG formula. A story that unfolds as you progress through it. The story doesn't have to take place in Algol. Maybe another one of the ships that made it to another galaxy. Maybe they are facing some new evil... it doesn't always have to be Dark Force. Maybe this group discovers remnants of their Palman ancestors and their ancient struggles. Maybe it's all connected in some weird way. I want a <b>real</b> damn Phantasy Star game!!! To hell with all this damn multiplayer crap. If I want to play a game with a bunch of people I don't know, I'll play Call of Duty and kill as many of them as possible... but leave PS out of this nice little trend that's going on!
zoothe

Postby SheWren » Fri May 14, 2004 10:02 am

I prefer a MMORPG than an offline multiplayer as FFCC. Where the hell can I find three other players if not on the net????
SheWren

Postby zoothe » Fri May 14, 2004 2:44 pm

I totally agree with that! Plus, the whole GBA thing? Not likely. The internet is the only way to do a multiplayer game... I just don't want this new PS game to be multiplayer.
zoothe

Postby Neo48 » Fri May 14, 2004 2:51 pm

I would rather it be multiplayer actually. But I stated what I would like in the other post about the new game.
Neo48

Postby Benoit » Fri May 14, 2004 3:46 pm

<blockquote>The obvious reason of the original Phantasy star team not being a reality. To my understanding, a key member that played a large role in the production of PS1,2 and 4 had left Sega in the late nineties for some reason. (correct me if I am wrong here, I think it was Reiko Kodama) </blockquote><br>You're wrong there. Rieko Kodama never left Sega. She's at the OverWorks division, just like the other key members, except Yuji Naka, who was the main programmer of the first Phantasy Star.<p>And multiplayer is nice. We've been playing alone for long now. It's time to come out.
Benoit

Postby Cherok » Fri May 14, 2004 5:39 pm

Hmm, It wasnt Kodama then. There was one key member (a woman) who did alot of the character design and storyboarding for the originals.<p>With the PSO 2? PSV? stuff, It makes me happy that they are acknowledging the demand for a fifth game in the original series. I would really like some plot explanations as to how organisms such as Numans made their way from Algol to Pioneer, and now here (or in whatever order they were presented.)<p>What I hope they dont do is pull a final fantasy and create whole new worlds with the only links between them being Some guy named cid, a bunch of big yellow chickens and the same opening musical theme. Thats not plot connection, its just gimmick
Cherok

Postby oliquidrusho » Fri May 14, 2004 7:34 pm

I wouldn't mind if the story is not connected to the original four. Though I'm sure there'll be some kind of connection. PSO had some small relation to the original series. If PSUniverse is going to be an actual RPG and its successful enough to warrant a sequel or sequels, then from there I'd like to see a connecting story of some sort. One very small gripe I do have about Final Fantasy is that, with exception to FF X-2, the stories are not within the same worlds. It almost begs the question - why do we put the roman numerals on Final Fantasies. Why not call it Final Fantasy - J-Pop Stars! or something. Ironically - I was interested in FF X-2 (just because it was the first final fantasy that was connected to a previous game) when it was announced but when it came to release I just was - not appealed to play it. I don't know why.
oliquidrusho

Postby Benoit » Fri May 14, 2004 7:46 pm

<blockquote>With the PSO 2? PSV? stuff, It makes me happy that they are acknowledging the demand for a fifth game in the original series.</blockquote><br>Actually, they acknowledged this a long time ago because of all the fans whining for it. But Rieko Kodama and the others were busy with Skies of Arcadia. So then they approached Yuji Naka, and he made PSO.<br> <blockquote>I would really like some plot explanations as to how organisms such as Numans made their way from Algol to Pioneer, and now here (or in whatever order they were presented.)</blockquote><br>PSO takes place in another universe. It has no real connection to the original series. The 'connections' that are there are just there to please older phans and make them feel nostalgic. And they did this while still leaving the Phantasy Star spirit quite intact.
Benoit

Postby Cherok » Sat May 15, 2004 4:48 am

I wish that they would please the older fans to a certain degree. Have references such as PSIV did with the Alisa III spaceship crash. Small references, or minute connections would be quite enough to make this old whiner happy
Cherok

Postby Wosu » Sat May 15, 2004 12:37 pm

I hope sonic team not to impose something totaly paradoxical like making a newman species. I hope it will follow the story of PS I II and IV, I mean: for example to see Dezorian because there is no reason for them to diseappear, or to see muskcat etc...<br>Thought it doesn't have to be a game which would sum up the first four episodes like what they did in PSIV I still would be totaly for finding elements from the first four episode even if they are hidden elements like "in a cemetery on a grave to be written the name of chaz or Hahn or anyone"<p>I hope for a lot of thing but overall I wish it to keep the mature atmosphere the other had.<p>Excuse me I am going to do a copy and past in order to re ask a question<p> <blockquote>I was wondering... Please answer seriously, would you be diseapointed or shocked if there wasn't a Dark force in a Phantasy star? <br>Of course it's one of the main element of the serie but considering all the story and world.<br>In one word: the universe of PS serie is huge enought to make a phantasy star without Dark force. Algo system didn't disappeared with the fight of the profound darkness: on the contrary they still have a lot to do after PSIV. <p>For me the answer is YES, I would be able to consider a phantasy star game without dark force to be a real phantasy star as long as it continues the serie in a reallistic way. In fact I would think of that to be a courageous step forward in the serie: an interesting development.</blockquote>
Wosu

Postby Benoit » Sat May 15, 2004 5:21 pm

Yeah, a Phantasy Star without Dark Force wouldn't be bad. In fact, seeing Dark Force in PSO was a surprise to many, and they were already enjoying the game. So yes.
Benoit

Postby LaconianShot » Sat May 15, 2004 6:24 pm

PS without Dark Force? That's feasible, and it's been done. Neither PS Gaiden nor PS Adventure had DF and they were still immensley enjoyable games. No, Phantasy Star has been famous for it's innovation, not it's signature ideas. I don't think the series would suffer.
LaconianShot

Postby oliquidrusho » Sun May 16, 2004 9:30 am

ok, wow, I just saw the trailer to this game. I must say, the pre-rendered visuals make me want to see gameplay elements soon. And judging from the trailer, I have a feeling it may be a single player/story based RPG as opposed to the MMORPG that people are saying. The trailer focused on way too many shots of SPECIFIC Characters, if you know what I mean. Now I know that PSO had what you would call "trademark" characters, but it was only on their promotional material. Honestly I really do hope this is a single player RPG. I play PSO offline, but thats more or less a way of me getting my PS fix on a new generation console. I think I'd be a bit dissappointed if it was a MMORPG.
oliquidrusho

Postby Benoit » Sun May 16, 2004 10:34 am

Eh, you sure about Phantasy Star Adventure, LaconianShot? x_X
Benoit

Next

Return to Phantasy Star