ps universe main character?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby ps2 » Mon May 17, 2004 3:16 am

For those who have seen the trailer for the new phantasy star game, I'm curious if the main character is a girlish male or a flat chested female. It really doesn't matter seeing as how male or female, all the characters for the new game look pretty sweet, but i thought i'd ask anyways. Any ideas? :
ps2

Postby Mizehrith » Mon May 17, 2004 5:08 am

Looks like a guy to me.
Mizehrith

Postby zoothe » Mon May 17, 2004 6:43 am

Yeah, same here.
zoothe

Postby lutz4ever » Mon May 17, 2004 3:07 pm

it sems to focus around a group of certain people so maybe there isnt one single main character. But if it does then id say the guy, yup yup.
lutz4ever

Postby Cherok » Tue May 18, 2004 6:20 am

Looks really typical. I am not a fan of main characters who are designed so blandly on purpose so that the legion of 14 year old boys can project themselves in to that character.<p>What would peeve me even more is if the character played the silent game that so many RPG protagonists do.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by Cherok on [TIME]1084861602[/TIME]][/size]
Cherok

Postby ps2 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:02 am

I'm not too sure about that first part, I think that may just be your own view of the main characters, not the maker's intent. I personally think the plain designs of the main characters makes them a more appealing addition to the already cool cast of phantasy star side characters. I'm pretty sure a majority 14 year old boys are a little more focused on characters like the hussies of FFX-2 and DOA, so i think Sega may be going for aesthetic consistency. I agree with the second half though, is the player just supposed to imagine their own script, or are the writers just lazy?
ps2

Postby Benoit » Tue May 18, 2004 4:44 pm

Not at all. The Chrono-type main character is there so you could more easily identify with him. You can let him be what you want.
Benoit

Postby Demon Child » Tue May 18, 2004 4:45 pm

What would peeve me even more is if the character played the silent game that so many RPG protagonists do<p>What do you mean by that Cherok? The only silent protagonist that I know of is Serge from Chrono Cross. All other RPGs that I have played have the person talk and not just the '.....' as a response to everything.
Demon Child

Postby Cherok » Tue May 18, 2004 7:10 pm

Suikoden 1 and 2 both use this forumla. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both use it also. I am pretty sure that the early breath of fire games do this. There are some more titles that also make use of it, but I cant think of them right now. <p>When you read a story from a book, it is basic forumla that a main character have a personality of their own. How that person behaves in certain situations and with the characters around him or her is ultimatley what sets the stage for storytelling.<br>To make a characters personality easily identifiable is undoubtedly the easy way out. In no way are the writers allowing their audience to experience anything different from what has been done before.<p>In response to th arguement for characters being plain, I can revert back to my statement about the book. Why would you want to read a plain book? Video games should affect people, not only act as an activity used to fill time.<p>
Cherok

Postby Benoit » Tue May 18, 2004 8:02 pm

It's not the easy way out. How could you possibly be able to identify strongly with a character whose personality is so strongly defined, that there are certain parts that just make you go "ugh'. It's all possible. A character who can be what you wants allows you to really be that character and live the story through him.
Benoit

Postby Neo48 » Wed May 19, 2004 4:42 pm

I agree. With my personanlity, I thirst for power, yet at the same time, plan my attack and make sure I am ready for the battle. I also think that my own protection is most important.
Neo48

Postby SheWren » Wed May 19, 2004 5:41 pm

Symbios, Bowie and Arthur always says "...", too.
SheWren

Postby Benoit » Wed May 19, 2004 5:57 pm

On some occasions, Bowie from Shining Force II really said something, though. ;)
Benoit

Postby Mizehrith » Wed May 19, 2004 8:27 pm

Heh, Jaffar says "..." quite a bit, on Fire Emblem for the GBA.
Mizehrith

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed May 19, 2004 9:04 pm

Hey, the main chars of Fire Emblem are LYNDIS and that young lord on the second part. Hector also.<p>This Jaffar isn't worth his weight in gold from what I've seen. Lyndis had personality! I love Lyndis, She rocks. :D
Lord Khyron

Next

Return to Phantasy Star