Ending of PS II

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Ending of PS II

Postby Dr_Odin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 am

The following does obviously contain SPOILERS:

When you first played through the second Phantasy Star release. What was your thoughts of the dark twist at the end. Im asking this as I was so surprised by it back in the days and would very much like to hear how everyone else reacted to it!
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Cherok » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm

I don't think I had ever completed an RPG before pS2, so that was shock enough in itself. Oh and the fact that it took me near 2 years to finally complete.

The dark twist; I love it. The way that it interconnects with the other games and some of the fan fiction out there is probably the main reason that this series appeals to me so much.
Cherok
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edless » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:28 pm

I think I can say that, if it wasn't for PSII, I wouldn't be here today.

I wasn't playing master system games back then and I think PSIV is a nice RPG with a nice ending.
It's a good RPG but without PSII it would have no meanings.

PSIV is a great game because PSII left many things unfinished.

That game is such a pivot to the serie, such a blow in the face that I am persuaded that we could make a sequel to PSIV thanks to some dramatic events that occured in PSII.

The Parma zone for instance could be re used (I mean, it was a planet with a high technologie and I'm certain there could be many things to find between those asteroids)
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby ill-intent » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 am

I suppose it would be beyond obvious to state how much that storyline meant to me.... (both as a fan of a good RPG story and as a writer) Especially back then, when the average console RPG had less than 2 pages total of script.
Now-a-days, I know it's nothing special, but at the time....phenomenal.
ill-intent
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Lucid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 am

ill-intent wrote: Now-a-days, I know it's nothing special, but at the time....phenomenal.

Actually I think now-a-days they take it way too far and turn these RPG's into basically anime flicks. The cut scenes are way too long and it's at the sacrifice of actual game content. I think there's a fine line to walk and I think the old-school RPG's walked it well.
I will make sure that my brother died not in vain!
Lucid
Locusta
Locusta

Ending ... I LIKED IT

Postby Nameless » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:30 pm

it was extremely epic and i did enjoy the twist and etc...
im not going to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet
IT WAS EPIC LIKE CHUCK NORRIS.
Nameless
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Mono » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:55 pm

More spoilers!

The game gets darker and darker as you play. Although we don´t have much dialogue between Rolf and other characters, it always seemed to me that, near the end, his quest was a desperate fight to avenge himself from the tragedies that he had suffered because of all this Mother Brain problem. If I was him, chased by the same people he was trying to help - because of something he did in their benefit - I wouldn´t care jakshit about them in the end. I would jump on MB´s electronic throat to avenge Teim, Nei, Palma, and if I saved the whole system in the process, lucky them. And when he accomplishes it, he had nothing more to fight for, no one to go back, nowhere to go, his life was expendable, and presumably jumped in a desperate fight just to see how many he would take down with him.

That was special, what made the game worthwhile. The ending just fits it like a glove. A happy and fluffy ending with numans falling from the sky and warm goodbyes would have totally ruined it. The sequels help to cast a darker shadow upon PSII ending, since we never hear of Rolf again, giving the impression that this former criminal had just disappeared (but we do know something about Tyler!).
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby thriwren » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am

Mono wrote:More spoilers!

The game gets darker and darker as you play. Although we don´t have much dialogue between Rolf and other characters, it always seemed to me that, near the end, his quest was a desperate fight to avenge himself from the tragedies that he had suffered because of all this Mother Brain problem. If I was him, chased by the same people he was trying to help - because of something he did in their benefit - I wouldn´t care jakshit about them in the end. I would jump on MB´s electronic throat to avenge Teim, Nei, Palma, and if I saved the whole system in the process, lucky them. And when he accomplishes it, he had nothing more to fight for, no one to go back, nowhere to go, his life was expendable, and presumably jumped in a desperate fight just to see how many he would take down with him.

That was special, what made the game worthwhile. The ending just fits it like a glove. A happy and fluffy ending with numans falling from the sky and warm goodbyes would have totally ruined it. The sequels help to cast a darker shadow upon PSII ending, since we never hear of Rolf again, giving the impression that this former criminal had just disappeared (but we do know something about Tyler!).

Outside of the Commander and Nei, I am not sure if Rolf had any kind of relationships (friends, family, or other). But it seems that Rolf is conserned about Nei, it would seem that He might but atleast a partial blam on himself for her death. Nei's death was a by product of being one in the same with the other Nei(First), so if the Nei project can be link to Mother Brain that is worth the effort for his "little sister"
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Nameless » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 pm

i just used a save state i found on the INet to see the end.
so i wuld try to beat the game but its hard for me. :(
Nameless
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Cuber » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:58 pm

I finshed Phantasy star 2 for the first time a few months ago on my Wii. (I love the virtual console).
And yeah, it did shock me. o:

And um, Mono mentioned Tylor.. what do we know about him?? I seem to have missed him being mentioned later.. I think.
Cuber
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:03 pm

My overall thought was that it's a crap ending. Let's kill ourselves for great justice!
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Peegai wrote:Let's kill ourselves for great justice!

AYBABTU!

Anyway. I was stunned about it. It was really a twist to me.
Beacause Phantasy Star II was the first Phantasy Star game I played. That's why also Dark Force was quite a massive surprise too. But even more was that those people on Noah were actually from Earth. Somehow I were thinking that Rolf + others were humans moved from Earth long ago with the exception of Nei. And then when a person tells that they are humans not "we"... Big twist.
The last lines after credits made me play the game again to find any hints about what REALLY was going on.
Also the ending sequence where all characters are displayed, Rolf last with no text, tells me like he knew what was going to happen, because he was silent but others quite sure that they'll crush enemy... that was quite puzzling too.
I really like the mystery vibes in PSII.
Last edited by Zucca on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Zucca » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Nameless wrote:i just used a save state i found on the INet to see the end.
so i wuld try to beat the game but its hard for me. :(

Hard?
Did you have:
- healing items with you?
- healing equipment (first ones found from dams)?

I myself prefer not to have regular healing items at all (except when found). I just have Amy and those healing equipments. ;)

(Sorry for double post)
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Heroic_Chaz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:56 pm

I liked the end, even though it's evident that Rolf probably died. That sort of made me frustrated at first, but then again, way to many games at the time had a too-happy ending, so bittersweet was actually a nice change after I thought about it for a while.
I wonder what people will see in the final days?
Heroic_Chaz
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: Ending of PS II

Postby zio_falz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:31 pm

No good deed goes unpunished. My thought.
Everything dies.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Phantasy Star