Elsydeon

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Elsydeon

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 pm

I dunno if any of the members have bought this subject up recently on here, but I'll discuss the topic anyway.

Where did Elsydeon orginate exactly? It resembles the blade Alis used to fight Dark Force 2000 years prior to the PS endgame of endgames on PSIV. Though it seems kind of daft to call it the Laconian Sword instead of giving it a title.

My only plausible theory is that the weapon was retconned (verb for retroactive continuity) to fit within the climax of PSIV's story: first it was LS, then the Nei Sword on ps2 (if they're the same weapon - seems likely), and finally "Elsydeon" on ps4.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:20 am

I dunno. I don't remember any instance where anyone said the Neisword had been used by Alis before. If we go with the in-universe logic, I'd say that the sword used by Alis, the laconia sword could have been seen as something mystical or sacred and kept as such. Maybe with some hocus pocus, Lutz or any of his successors SOMEHOW had the souls of dead heroes reside within it, then it was handed down to Chaz.

But my explanation would be that the writers just pulled that out of their asses...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Zucca » Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 am

I've always thought that LS is the same as Elsydeon, but Nei Sword is different, becuase there are also the other Nei items that aren't to be found in PSIV anymore. But when you get Elsedeon in PSIV you still see Rolf there in the "hallicinations". So that would indicate that Rolf did too use the exact same sword to beat DF and MB.
So it's fair to assume (at this point) that this sword is the same sword in PSI, PSII and PSIV. But where did all the Nei items disappear? Or why did those pop out only in PSII? Are these same Nei items (including the sword) finally transferred to Alisa III?
I haven't thought these questions much yet. But I'm going to start to dig some information...

P.S. Great topic.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Sun May 23, 2010 12:10 pm

I think it might be a very old sacred relic from ancient times, or Alisa's sword that was enchanted to be connected to past heroes.
Zucca wrote:But when you get Elsedeon in PSIV you still see Rolf there in the "hallicinations". So that would indicate that Rolf did too use the exact same sword to beat DF and MB.

Why? There's no rule saying that they had to use the sword to appear in Chaz' visions.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Sun May 23, 2010 1:26 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I think it might be a very old sacred relic from ancient times, or Alisa's sword that was enchanted to be connected to past heroes.
Zucca wrote:But when you get Elsedeon in PSIV you still see Rolf there in the "hallicinations". So that would indicate that Rolf did too use the exact same sword to beat DF and MB.

Why? There's no rule saying that they had to use the sword to appear in Chaz' visions.
Not a rule, but it would be most logical explanation - sword stores its wielder's memories. Although I'd like to belive that the memories/visions are tranferred to Elsydeon by esper(s).
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Xander » Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Ok, time to dust off my nerd cap. :D

I've always thought the Nei items were different from Elsydeon. For one thing, it helps break the games up a bit rather than letting them ultimately become 'find Elsydeon to kill Dark Force' quests. That would be a bit daft.

I've always thought that Elsydeon was Alis' sword like everyone else and that besides herself, Chaz was the only one to use it.

With no explanation for them in PS II I always figured the Nei items are just super powered weapons. After seeing how you got the Nei items in PS III (regular weapons transformed with the word 'Nei') I was more than convinced too.

As to the whole spirits within Elsydeon thing, I've always been under the impression that generally the spirits of anyone who protected the Algol system from Dark Force, or the darkness in some way or other since PS I (go back and watch it again if you want to see), will return to Elsydeon for when the time comes to kick the Supreme Darkness' butt. :P Plus it says something about those who thought to protect Algol, not those who waved Elsydeon around. That would be a cheap way in. ;)

So while Rolf never used Elsydeon, giving Dark Force and Mother Brain a good thumping will see him in. Plus I always wondered why Alys was there when Chaz took Elsydeon, but then she *was* killed by Zio while trying to save Motavia from being destroyed and Zio was basically a vessel for Dark Force's power so whatever. Makes sense to me anyway. Maybe someone else has another take on things? :
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Wing-0 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:00 pm

No, I pretty much agree with your explanation for an in-universe reason for the existence of Elsydeon and the souls/remnants/memories/whatever inside of it.

I'd be thrilled to know what the developers would have to say...
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Xander » Sun May 23, 2010 8:16 pm

"We made it up as we went along"? :P

No I think there's probably a bit more in terms of backstory and stuff that went into it when they made it. Plus, as I said before, I think they changed the stuff out just for the sake of breaking the pattern a bit.

I'm sure we've all played a game at least once and realised that it's all just the same thing done over and over again for the plot and suchlike. For me, that would have to be Unreal 2, or as I called it: Unreal 2: Artifact hunt. :P

But that's me going off topic. I'm done.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sun May 23, 2010 8:18 pm

The guardian of the Anger Tower knows about Elsydeon. This means that it could be an ancient sword handed down from the Great Light. Maybe he put his essence in there, or some other part of his power to help future Protectors.
BenoitRen

Postby Xander » Sun May 23, 2010 8:28 pm

I never really thought about how it got to where you find it in PS I in the first place but it may help to explain how you had to go fight for it, seeing how nobody really knows what happened before PS I.

I mean let's face it, after thousands of years some things are bound to go missing if not looked after. Though if it was handed down by the Great Light I'm wondering why the various guardians on Rycross never mentioned it and the only way you get it is when Rune tells you to. I dunno, it's an open book that one.
Xander
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby xrick » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I read somewhere along Algol's Timeline that Lutz, knowing that La Shiek's release of Dark Falz made a rip on the seal of Algol that would bring another Dark Falz in another 1000 years.
Due to that, he gathered all the Espers of Algol, built the Esper Mansion, put himself into a cold sleep but not before leaving instructions for weapons to be built to fight against another Dark Falz.
I think the Elsydeon, more than the Nei Weapons, was built during that time with the exact meaning it had in PS4, not only to guard the light of the souls of all of Algol's Protectors, but also to fight the darkness.
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BluesEclipse » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 am

I've always believed that Elsydeon was the same sword that Alys wielded, though I've never given much though to whether it's the same one as the PSII Neisword.

My thought on how it gained the powers it holds is this:

The Laconian Sword wasn't formed into Elsydeon for the purpose of fighting Dark Force. It became Elsydeon BECAUSE it was used to fight Dark Force. The first-generation Protectors didn't have any special, Light-blessed weapons to help overcome Dark Force. As such, I believe that the weapons they wielded(Laconian Sword, Silver Fang, Wand) were imbued with their power because they were wielded by the warriors that fought Dark Force to begin with. Their souls, the collective will of the Protectors that challenged Dark Force, were tied to the sword so that the light held within their spirits could cut through the darkness. Some aspects of this power also tied to the Silver Fang and the Wand, granting those weapons(Silver Tusk/Psycho Wand) the power they possess when used 2000 years later.

...Thinking about it, it makes more sense this way for the sword NOT to be the same one used in PSII. Elsydeon was sealed in a hidden cave under the Esper Mansion, to be retrieved by its chosen wielder when the time is right. The Silver Tusk was kept in the care of Myau, the eldest of the Protectors, and the Psycho-Wand was safeguarded in Ladea Tower, under a barrier that, presumably, only one with Lutz's knowledge and memories could open. The Neisword may be a similar weapon, quite possibly even a replica of Elsydeon... but Elsydeon doesn't have a Ryuka on use ability. It's only teleportation-related power is the ability to take the wielder and their party out of time warps.
BluesEclipse
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Maybe Elsydeon is the sword the Great Light used?
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Re: Elsydeon

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:46 pm

But if the Elsydeon is the sword the Great Light used, the question becomes: why would such a powerful being need a sword at all?
BenoitRen

Re: Elsydeon

Postby Doctor Hooves » Wed May 06, 2015 7:56 pm

BenoitRen wrote:But if the Elsydeon is the sword the Great Light used, the question becomes: why would such a powerful being need a sword at all?

Wait, were the Great Light and Profound Darkness always powerful entities or did they become entities? Are they from a galaxy of powerful beings?

Or possibly, what if the Great Light made the sword for the Protectors and strengthened it?
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

Next

Return to Phantasy Star