Stat gains in PS1

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Stat gains in PS1

Postby etony33 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Someone asked me something about Phantasy Star that I didn't know! I'm disappointed in myself.

Are stat gains in PS1 preset, or random? I know they are preset for HP, MP, and spells. Not sure about the rest.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Stat gains in PS1

Postby The PS Logo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:48 am

The original PS1 had preset stats. Not sure about PSG1 though.
The PS Logo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby DarkMyau » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00 am

I'm pretty sure its preset for both.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby etony33 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:56 am

I thought they were preset. I just wasn't completely sure.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Malakaí » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 pm

All the Sega PS games are preset stats upon level increase. This is by design so your characters' spells, skills, and stats will properly scale according to where your progress should approximately be in the game.
Malakaí
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Malakai wrote:All the Sega PS games are preset stats upon level increase.

This is definitely not the case in Phantasy Star II. All stat gains in that game are random within certain boundaries defined per character. In addition, every five levels the stats get a bigger boost than usual.

I've read a similar discussion about Phantasy Star III on GameFAQs, but in the end it wasn't clear to me what the conclusion was.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby MrStarbird » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:56 am

Malakaí wrote:All the Sega PS games are preset stats upon level increase. This is by design so your characters' spells, skills, and stats will properly scale according to where your progress should approximately be in the game.

Speedrunning all four games caused me to learn that stat gains for the Genesis PStar games are not completely preset, but not completely random either. From my understanding, they start at a set number depending on the character and then have a variance either up or down depending on how RNGesus likes to treat you.

As for Phantasy Star 1, from my work on digging through the game back when I was a kid many, many years ago. I have no reason to believe that they are not preset increases.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/sms/ps1/characters.shtml
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:47 pm

My last PS2 playthrough, I didn't feel like getting Nei to level 40 before fighting Neifirst (though it's pointless, I make sure Nei beats Neifirst every time). The magic number is 160 HP, since Neifirst's right handed attack does right around 80 damage, enabling you to alternate between attacking and using a Trimate. I got there at level 37 (though I probably could have done it earlier than that if I really wanted to).

Also, hey, keep posting. These are really old games that most people have forgotten about at this point, but I keep circling back to them because I have literally been playing them since I was three years old.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:33 am

I think I've only killed Neifirst with Nei only once without using speedrun strats, and the grind was way too long for me to ever want to do again.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:13 pm

The grind really isn't all that long in my opinion. I will generally grind at Uzo Island (right near the entrance) until I can afford to buy everyone's best gear in Piata, and Nei is usually between level 29-32 at that point. From there, it's just a matter of climbing up to the fifth floor of Climatrol and hoping to see a ton of Blastoids (they don't do much damage, they split into less than full strength enemies who can be killed for full XP). I alternate between Rudo/Amy, Hugh/Anna, and Kain/Shir (in all three cases, there are three people who know RES) until Nei has 160+ HP. I fill up her inventory with Trimates, and get to work.

It's less grinding you'll have to do later on. Even if you just blow right through the dams as quickly as possible, you'll be able to afford everyone's equipment once you get to Dezo.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:06 am

I did forget that Nei does gain levels at a faster rate than everyone else. Those actually are good grind strats that I never thought of (slugmesses were usually a really good way to go but I forgot that Blastoids did the same thing).

Again, playing the game longer than 2 1/2 hours these days to me is too long. I kinda find it sad that I cannot play this game outside of speedrunning anymore because it is such a great game.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Return to Phantasy Star