Stuck?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Re: Stuck?

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Got Wren, then the Canceller (mashing text), Hinas out, got Kuran, cancelled to equip and reorder party, went back in, got Motavia, flew to Motavia, flew back to Zelan, still got Motavia.

I didn't know about the Algo Ring glitch before and I never thought of checking the room with the Canceller to see if the flag would reset.

Though, from a speedrun standpoint, I really wish there were more glitches in this game like in PStar2. This game is a brutal speedrun.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby lorenzo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 am

OK. It's like the Rykross situation, but it still doesn't make sense that you get Kuran the first time and then Motavia the subsequent times.....You should get Motavia the first time as well.

Anyway I'll leave it alone for now. If it happens again, try going back to the room with the Canceller to see if it fixes it.
lorenzo
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am

It's always a great thing to have some bugs and glitches or hidden eggs (like the hidden doors in the first Phantasy Star : what a shock when I first "discovered" it on the net !! To find that there was secrets to discover some years after was a great thing !).
We can discovers again our beloved games ! :)
myau56
Locusta
Locusta

Postby etony33 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm

What difference does it make whether or not there are glitches you can exploit to cut off time? If there were glitches, your target time would simply be decreased.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Also, as in most games, there's no tangible benefit to getting through the game faster (the only game I can think of off the top of my head where there actually is a tangible benefit to speedrunning is Final Fantasy IX with the Excalibur II).

If you could, say, blow right past the Carnivorous Trees, thus skipping everything with Gumbious and the Air Castle, you'd shave off time, but you'd be expected to shave off time. See what I'm saying?
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

etony33 wrote:Also, as in most games, there's no tangible benefit to getting through the game faster (the only game I can think of off the top of my head where there actually is a tangible benefit to speedrunning is Final Fantasy IX with the Excalibur II).

If you could, say, blow right past the Carnivorous Trees, thus skipping everything with Gumbious and the Air Castle, you'd shave off time, but you'd be expected to shave off time. See what I'm saying?

Tangible benefit for the game itself, no. In fact, in many instances, the game is much harder if you try to go faster through it without some sort of glitch to exploit (Phantasy Star II is insanely easy for a speedrun while Phantasy Star IV is harder, even though casually PS2 is harder than PS4). However, the speedrun community is huge and the idea of finding new ways to knock down the time is what keeps people playing these games multiple times in a month.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

The sort of cousin of speedruns, the low level game, isn't even possible in Phantasy Star, because you need the Trap and Open spells to finish the game. Also, I have my doubts that a low level party could even finish the game. Alis can't beat two Scorpions at level one, let alone Lassic.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 pm

lowest level I have been able to manage to beat the game was with Alis at 20. Myau didn't have Help and I needed Alis with a Diamond Armor in order to tank Dark Falz' hits. Lassic wasn't a problem at Level 18 for me, though it was more of a DPS race than anything else.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star